Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1979 CX500 new build

38K views 123 replies 23 participants last post by  glrider 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm new here and thought I would post a few pictures of my CX500 build.
I haven't done much yet, and this will probably be quite a slow build.
Here is the bike as I bought it.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motorcycle accessories

Changed the front end yesterday, using VFR750 yokes, and GSX600F forks.

Vehicle Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

Vehicle Bicycle part Metal Fuel tank

Also I'm using an 18" CM400 front wheel. I've machined an adapter to fit a CBF600 front disk.

Disc brake Auto part Flange Automotive brake part Rim

Alloy wheel Wheel Rim Auto part Spoke

That's it for now, but I'll keep it updated as I go along.

See less See more
#63 ·
Right hand switchgear, idiot lights and indicators wired up. I've just got the headlight, flasher unit and the last bits of my speedo to wire up now.
As a bonus the headlight still fits in there as well :icon_thumbright:

View attachment 20073
It only needs some sauce and you've got a bowl of spaghetti [emoji1]

sent via Tapatalk

#70 ·
great work. she's really coming along. did it need any engine freshening? i see the miles are getting up there.

Can't wait to see it finished!

#72 · (Edited)
All I've done to the engine at the moment is change the rocker arms and shafts, and cleaned up and ground in the valves.
It runs, but probably needs more work. I'll find out when I strip it for powder coating and take the engine out.
I haven't looked inside the rear cover yet because I needed the engine in place for a lot of the changes I've been making, and didn't want to be taking the engine in and out more than I had to.
I know it needs a new stator fitting because it isn't charging, and the stator test showed the yellow wires shorted to earth.

#74 ·
Just found your build thread now - very fine work! Thanks for the many pix. A few pages back on the thread I saw a damper of some kind on the rear brake actuator. Does this give a bit more 'feel' than the straight mechanical link?

I'm just reassembling my 650 after a strip-blast-repaint over the winter, interested in this mod while I have things up on the bench.

#83 ·
OOOPSIE!!
Better now than after the motor was in place though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.