Close
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hey everybody

I'm in the process of building a rat/chopper CX500 out of a 78'model. The chop and rake went very well. Still have a ways to go but its mostly cosmetics. I love customs, but i really love customs of all sorts that are fast. Not a fan of stock motors. LOL! I know these bikes weren't meant for torque or power. Every motor has its secrets to gain horsepower. My 78' is coming along great but is still a stock motor. I build snowmobile oval race sled engines and really don't have any leads on parts, and or modifications i can do. Andy ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    78' CX500 rat/chopper project in progress. 80' CX500 parts bike and a few extra parts from another 78'. Build custom vintage and late model ice oval race sleds. Anything with a motor interests me.

Welcome mate. That looks pretty cool. There's really very little in the way of performance parts available for these motors though there is a thread running on performance cams.

The first thing you can do is make sure your motor is in good order and tune.

You can maybe pick up a couple of extra horsepower with a slight head skim to raise compression but of course you would have to C.C. the heads to ensure equal volume. A 2 into 1 exhaust may liberate a pony or two and the weight loss would probably be equivilent to another horse in itself. K +N pod filters, a rejet and maybe a bit of port polishing are probably the limits of what can be done short of installing 650 valves and seats.

Losing the centre stand makes a further weight saving and with your bikes altered stance may be unusable anyway.

Of course, this is still a considerable amount of work for what would likely only be minor gains in power with possible {if not probable} undesirable effects on reliability and longevity.

While these motors have a fair amount of bottom end grunt they were never intended to be a performance bike,- perhaps better to appreciate it for what it is and just personalise it as you have been doing? Your choice.

P.S., the 16 inch back wheel from a custom will suit your build better and improve accelleration, but at the expense of top speed.
    Help with handlebar and ignition switches.

http://cxgl.wikispaces.com/Rebuildin...lebar+switches

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

RTFM

Saginaw, Michigan USA 3rd stone from the sun
    Iceracer welcome to the forum. I too would like a bit more power. "Scudman" has a set of snowmobile carburetors on one CX and working on a second for his friend. The carbs are snowmobile sourced TM-38 flatslides so this is right up your alley! I'm bidding on a set right now and will do this mod for sure. I'd be interested in your input n this setup because of your experience building performance motors for sleds. These are common on many 600/700cc twin cylinder Polaris. I'm in Michigan so sledding is the same as Wisconsin very popular This last summer I went to my first asphalt drags WOW we watched a guy set the world record full quarter mile. BTW we got over a foot of snow here today and still coming hard.

I would think flowing the heads to match the increase in the flatslides flow. I have a set of two into one stepped headers I scratch built, the first tube is 1.5" then 1.625" the merge 2/1 to 2.25" out into a sport bike carbon slip on that I shortened to 12" from the original 15". The bike needs a cam to match these other basic hot rodder mods. Let it breath a bit.

Cheers, 50gary

Not to thread jack from the OP but can the 650 just swap in place of the 500?
    I ride a Murray Machine...you won't catch me.

I've seen threads somewhere on the 500-650 swap, and it's possible, but I think it took a good bit of modding the brackets and what not... And if you want reliability, I wouldn't modify the motor. But if you want power and speed, I'd go for the 650 turbo motor, you'd need the throttle body etc, but it'll give you the speed. I was considering trying to make my bike faster, but I'll stick with doing small simple things, mainly the 2-1 exhaust and a good carb cleaning and rejetting to go with the exhaust. I'd like to turn mine into a chopper, but before I do that I need a new daily driver, because a hard tail and 50+ miles a day everyday there isn't snow doesn't sound too pleasant, so I'm working on saving for a V-Max
    81 CX500C daily rider

80 CX500C parting out

83 GL650I parting out

Rookie statement.

650T motor cannot be shovelled into a 500 deluxe, custom, or standard. Wrong frame, wrong clearances, not enough structural support for the weight.

650C, E or GL650 motor can be used, in fact, that's where this forum came from. Chopper Charles' bike was a 500 with a 650C motor.
    Currently own, '78 CX500, '82 CX500T, '83 CX650E, '08 DR-Z400 SM

Previously owned: CX500T (x3), CX650T, CX 650C, GL650I, '81 CX500D (x2), CB750F SS (x2) CB750K (x2), CB450/2, CB350/4,
    BMW R-60/6, Suzuki GS450T, GS550E, GS1000E

There is nearly no following for after market parts. The Mac 2n1 exhaust is about it. Get your carbs SUPER clean, and shed weight.
    '81 GL

I wonder if anyone has shot nitrous to a CX. 650 cam in a 500 motor ? For the somewhat technically inclined a microsquirt fuel injection syst?

82 CX500c

SPRINT... the worst cell phone company ever IMHO.

Would any of you know if the Mac 2n1 exhaust only have the muffler on the right side of the bike?

Kid of a stupid question, but I am just curious for aesthetic purposes...

EDIT: also does it decrease the clearance of the bike at all? All the pictures look like its lower
    '79 CX500c

Saginaw, Michigan USA 3rd stone from the sun
    If you're meaning less clearance in cornering, I'd say it will increase the clearance? I have my own two nto one and I have much greater ground clearance.

Cheers, 50gary

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors