Close

so, i picked up an '83 CX650C the other day for $47 & one can of PBR... i'm considering building a trike out of it... anyway, has anyone ever had any experience with anything like this in MD?... i dunno if i need to get it titled as a trike, or if motorcycles & trikes are the same in the eyes of the MVA... it's historic, so that might play into it also... it seems like some things with the MVA are a real pain in the ass in MD, and some things are almost too easy... i'm just wondering which one this is gonna be.

Quote Originally Posted by LOCKARD View Post
    so, i picked up an '83 CX650C the other day for $47 & one can of PBR... i'm considering building a trike out of it... anyway, has anyone ever had any experience with anything like this in MD?... i dunno if i need to get it titled as a trike, or if motorcycles & trikes are the same in the eyes of the MVA... it's historic, so that might play into it also... it seems like some things with the MVA are a real pain in the ass in MD, and some things are almost too easy... i'm just wondering which one this is gonna be.

Register your 83 CX650 just as it is first as a MOTORCYCLE. That's what it is, a motorcycle. THEN do your conversion. anything else will only confuse the state employee and gum up the works. Even after the conversion it is still a motorcycle. It's when you try to get insurance it can get gummed up again in the description of the vehicle. It is still only a motorcycle, never mention TRIKE again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A 82 Gl500 Trike named Radio Flyer II.

This is just my opinion, but: Yes, a trike is still a motorcycle, but it is no longer the motorcycle that you registered or insured or are claiming it is. It is also no longer a MC that was approved by DOT. I suspect your insurance company would void your policy on the basis of false information (best case) or fraud if you had an accident and a claim was filed. If you 'fessed up when obtaining insurance, I suspect the insurance company would send you back to DMV for inspection and approval. I've read that custom shops pay a lot to get these approvals on non standard vehicles. Just saying, if you own your own house or other things of value, best not to try to fool insurance companies. They have employees whose job it is to find a valid reason to void a claim.
    '76 CB500T w/Velorex Hack

'79 CX500C

'82 GL500

'83 GL650

'83 GL650I

'83 CX650C,E,T

Like you said, Maryland is really bad about some things, really good about others. I ride all around VA, WV and MD and see trikes all the time (mostly Goldwings), obviously every state is different but it may be easy to register it MD. If I were you I'd inquire at the DMV first without giving specifics and/or check with your local custom shop.

Good Luck!
    '81 Maxim 550 (Sold)

'81 Virago 750 - 4 parts, 99% complete, maybe restore one day (Sold)

'82 Virago 750 (Sold)

'78 CX 500 - Current Project (Sold)

'78 CX 500 - Parts Bike (Sold)

'95 Virago 1100 - Current Bike

Like Phil says. It's a motorcycle. Don't tell them any more till you have the stuff you need in hand. Register it as a motorcycle. Unless you're going to put full coverage on it I might not tell the insurance company anything either. Or at least till things are complete.

Everytime I go to the dmv there is a pep talk.

This is a perfectly running motorcycle, this is a perfectly running motorcycle, this is a perfectly running motorcycle.

Snags have came when I said I restore bikes. Or says something like I like a project. Don't tell them anything and your life will be easier. After you have the title in hand in your name and everything then you can contact them anonymously. Sure there might be a vehicle inspection but it's better than having your progress stopped at every person.

I have registered a few bare frames also. They almost made me take the one bike (frame) in for inspection. Don't even know how I got out of it.
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 70,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

Quote Originally Posted by RichNCT View Post
    This is just my opinion, but: Yes, a trike is still a motorcycle, but it is no longer the motorcycle that you registered or insured or are claiming it is. It is also no longer a MC that was approved by DOT. I suspect your insurance company would void your policy on the basis of false information (best case) or fraud if you had an accident and a claim was filed. If you 'fessed up when obtaining insurance, I suspect the insurance company would send you back to DMV for inspection and approval. I've read that custom shops pay a lot to get these approvals on non standard vehicles. Just saying, if you own your own house or other things of value, best not to try to fool insurance companies. They have employees whose job it is to find a valid reason to void a claim.

Who ya gonna believe, A dignified old guy like me or a guy who stands like this?

Phil, I know that other guy, and most of the time, I'd believe you. FYI, I believe the companies selling the trike kits for GWs and such have gone through a process and expense to get guvmint approval and certification. But it doesn't really matter to me, I think trikes are for the old and infirm anyway. Hey, do you think those boots make me look fat?
    '76 CB500T w/Velorex Hack

'79 CX500C

'82 GL500

'83 GL650

'83 GL650I

'83 CX650C,E,T

UPDATE... i did some research... it seems that trikes are registered the same as two-wheelers in MD... after she called her boss & they collectively tried to interperit the very vague rules "if you're building it yourself, you need to take it for a state police inspection, that's what we came up with"... it was very obvious that she didn't have a concrete explanation for me, but her supervisor just threw that answer out there to cover her ass... that inspection is WAY stiffer than a typical MD insp... it's for totalled cars that have been rebuilt, kit cars, etc... BUT, MD doesn't require an inspection on historic vehicles(20 yrs old) or street rods(25 yrs & modified)... it will be titled as a street rod, or historic vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by LOCKARD View Post
    UPDATE... i did some research... it seems that trikes are registered the same as two-wheelers in MD... after she called her boss & they collectively tried to interperit the very vague rules "if you're building it yourself, you need to take it for a state police inspection, that's what we came up with"... it was very obvious that she didn't have a concrete explanation for me, but her supervisor just threw that answer out there to cover her ass... that inspection is WAY stiffer than a typical MD insp... it's for totalled cars that have been rebuilt, kit cars, etc... BUT, MD doesn't require an inspection on historic vehicles(20 yrs old) or street rods(25 yrs & modified)... it will be titled as a street rod, or historic vehicle.

So it is easy, that's great. My wife wants to move to MD, if we do I'm going to register all my bikes as historic.
    '81 Maxim 550 (Sold)

'81 Virago 750 - 4 parts, 99% complete, maybe restore one day (Sold)

'82 Virago 750 (Sold)

'78 CX 500 - Current Project (Sold)

'78 CX 500 - Parts Bike (Sold)

'95 Virago 1100 - Current Bike

Quote Originally Posted by CXBarnFind View Post
    So it is easy, that's great. My wife wants to move to MD, if we do I'm going to register all my bikes as historic.

Most of the folks working at the states (read, all states) DMV's don't even understand their own regulations and it sometimes takes a judge's interpretation in a court/ticket argument to solidify a point

Fact: A three wheeled vehicle is the same as a two wheeled vehicle in any DMV.

Fact: When you go to register a motorcycle with the motorcycle's correct title and VIN # you have no problems.

Fact: When you mention TRIKE with that same motorcycle with the correct title and VIN # you get a bunch of crap.

Fact: When you apply for LIABILITY insurance, a trike is the same as a motorcycle, if anything it would be considered safer. It is when you try to get comprehensive insurance on that older homemade trike when you run into a bunch of crap.

To explain Rich's argument about PROFESSIONAL Trike kit builders and installers. They are manufacturing a product and installing a product FOR SALE TO PUBLIC purposes they have to pass rigid engineering and safety tests to cover their butts from lawsuits.

If you build a VW trike using a Motorcycle steering stem with the motorcycle VIN # you then may need a state DMV inspection to obtain a HOME BUILT title. Here in NC it isn't much of a problem.

So, take my advise and regester it first and then do your conversion. I'll stand behind you on that.

Sponsors