Close
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    of course they did nothing on the dyno, the car has to be moving through the air, raiming air into the intake

thus the "wind tunnel."
    1978 CX500 X 2
    1982 GL500I

I live on a one-way street that's also a dead end. I'm not sure how I got here, or how I'm going to get out.

Four wheels move the body; Two wheels move the Soul.

I always thought that RAM air was a way to bring in fresh cold air into the engine compartment, not force feed air into the carbs like a supercharger or blower... In my 1973 Torino, I am running a wild 351W bored and stroked to a 427 backed by the stock FMX 3 speed auto to my 9" with 3:73 gears... I was constantly getting a top speed of around 112-114 mph and 13s on the 1/4 mile. After putting on a shaker hood, I was able to drop into the 11's with a top speed of 116-118 mph depending upon ambient temperatures and weather conditions.

For how much time do you expect to be running at 100 MPH +?
    Help with handlebar and ignition switches.

http://cxgl.wikispaces.com/Rebuildin...lebar+switches

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

RTFM

the notable power increase was between 60 to 80 mph power range.... right at our cruising speeds... if desingned right the ram charger could be made to work in the 45 to 60 ph range on the cx

Quote Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
    the notable power increase was between 60 to 80 mph power range.... right at our cruising speeds... if desingned right the ram charger could be made to work in the 45 to 60 ph range on the cx
    agreed
    78 cx500

93 honda civic

If the snow and rain ever quit for 5 min while i'm not working i could start testing some designs
    - 1981 CX 500D -

90-120 jetted+piped 2into1

pancake PODS

Check out ramairvmax.com. for some good pointers no a working system .

my 2 cents the best ram air systems achieve 0.5 positive pressure adding a percentage of power the air box is a restriction that the carbs are tuned for so there is a negative pressure in the box the air going into the box is taken from an area behind the engine so will probably be heated.

So if you introduce cooler air to the airbox there should be a benefit .....pressurize that air and potential for power gains are increased so in theory there are gains to be had if the tuner has the skills to maximize all the factors.

The thing that you must keep in mind is there is a combination that will give the best power for any given combo so do the basics first murray has excellent advice and a good set of miks that will give you just about as much power as you could expect total set up is going to cost less than a grand if you have it done ......less if you do it yourself .

Not counting the cam advance option.

Having stated the easy guaranteed way...... have at it......its fun to make your ideas work on your personal ride.....I find satisfaction in blowing the the naysayers into the weeds with something that can"t be done....or is going to make my ride "unreliable"!!!!!http://cx500forum.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

They said in 1980 that there was not much power to be had from a small block chevy in nascar (ive heard it for longer than that ) but the power keeps going up>

stop experimenting no more gains.........no matter the potential for gain .http://cx500forum.com/forum/images/smilies/sad.gif

Last edited by purplecx500; 08-22-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Dont spend a lot of time at this if you are planning to use stock carbs

year and years ago we tried this on a track bike in stock modified

what happens is when you do introduce positive air pressure into the airbox

is the carb blows the throttle slide to wide open position and you start having some control issues

and the bike starts running real rich

just take a stock carb and blow into the air sensing port you will see what i mean it was a mess

now if you are going to use a mechanical carb its a whole different story
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!!!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

I can see blowing on the air sense port causing the slide to move, but if the pressure presented to the carb across its entire inlet is the same, that's no different than changes in altitude where ambient pressure changes. ... or maybe that's what you were getting at?

Making the air box 'positive' in pressure would require re-jetting, and the changes in jets would be counter-productive and result in lost power without the positive pressure in the air box?
    1982 CX500TC- JH2PC0300CM000120
    You can lead the horticulture but you can't make her think.

What PurpleCX500 said: Yes, the 'air grabber,' 'shaker hood,' and 'cowl induction' intakes on the '60s musclecars added power when set up properly (note that very often they were installed disabled at the factory because they caused street driveability problems). They added power because the air was cooler outside the engine bay than it was inside it. The NASCAR solution was to use the headlight holes and dryer hose as a cold air intake running to the carb. This did provide some ram air boost as well, but most of the performance gain was just getting reliable ambient air into the carb no matter what was going on under the hood.

You get just a teensy bit of ram air boost at 100 MPH. To get significant benefit, you really need to be going at least 150. So the LSR guys would benefit, but probably nobody else with a CX/GL will. The mixture-altering effects with a carburetor are well known, and you do have to be careful that the fuel tank is vented to the same plenum, that the bowl vents go to the same plenum, etc. Otherwise you just mess with the mixture as the static pressure at the carb air horn changes and get all kinds of performance changes that aren't improvements.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsors