Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1981 CX500 Custom Bobber Build

12K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  benmclendon 
#1 ·
Just getting started with my build any sage advise? Dos or Don'ts?

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Ben...looks like you've got a project on your hands!

As they say, GOD is in the details. Take your time. Scan the web for ideas. Be thorough.

When you're taking everything apart, take lots of pics you can reference later and label the plastic parts bags with the various screws, washers, etc.

Did I say take lots of pics! Even the mundane "Oh, I'll remember how that goes back together"...take a pic of it anyway, 'cause you may not know how long it will be until you revisit that piece.

And...keep us posted with lots of progress pics too!

#6 ·
Thanks for all your input...I'm taking notes

She does run good... once you warm her up a bit.

I will take lots of pics and share the interesting ones. I've got some shelving cleared to help organize things as I take her apart. But for now, I'm only taking off the bits that I'm not keeping on the bike. I think doing a complete mockup fist will make final assembly go better.

Is it ok to dump the entire exhaust in favor of straight pipes with baffles?

[attachment=2099:Rear.jpg]

Attachments

#9 ·
Day 4 - Got the rest of the touring parts off of the front. Looking pretty good now. The front peg mounts are trash, someone cut them and welded(crudely) extensions on to them.

Anyone know of any good aftermarket peg mounts and pegs?

Attachments

#11 ·
Today is day 48 of the build and I thought is was a good time to update the forum. More frequent updates are available at my blog.

I've accomplished the following:

• Removed all of the touring gear
  • Removed the seat
  • Removed the side covers, air box, battery holder, and electronics
  • Removed the exhaust
  • Removed the center stand
  • Removed the handlebars, controls, and gauges
  • Shorten the frame behind the shocks
  • Fabricated new rear fender
  • Fabricated and scrapped new steel seat pan
  • Chopped front fender
  • Modified the tank
  • New custom electrics box
  • New custom battery box
  • Disassembled the forks
  • Began glass beading parts
  • Mounted tail lights

Plans for the weekend:

• Mount battery box
  • Fabricate bracket for under-seat ignition and choke
  • Fabricate fiberglass seat pan
  • More glass bead work

Once this list is completed I should be ready for teardown and paint prep.The paint scheme and painter are selected.... I hope to be past the paint stage and started on reassembly in the next two to three weeks.

Here are a few pics of the progess so far:

#14 ·
Shirty,

I used an angle grinder and took the seam down flush about 2-3 inches at a time, welded that section in, repeat, repeat. I also tacked a bit of round bar under the seam to help support the weld pool.

Thanks!

#13 ·
Ben, That's an impressive amount of work done in less than 2 months!

Where are you located? Do you have a shop, or are you like most of us hacking away in our garages?

Looking forward to seeing the progress...

#15 ·
Thanks for the positive feedback... I feel like I'm going too slow somedays.

I'm located in south Georgia, near the florida line. I have a 600 sqft shop with 10' ceilings. 200 amp service, air conditioning, fully insulated... I'm very lucky. Just need to get some heat in there for the occasional cold day we have.

#16 ·
Does anyone know any current info on the wire spoke conversion rings for the CX. The thread on the old choppercharles forum fizzed out before getting to the details. Any dimensions or drawings would be helpful, I want to do the front and back.

Thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.