Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I think I will be breaking new CX ground by installing air bag cushions under my steel pan seat.

I find this seat to be extremely comfortable, it sort of accepts and cradles me. It also has the advantage of being all weather and never needs armoral or saddle soap. I am getting tired of having it attached to the frame rails and feeling every crack in the road. Springs are just a bit too ordinary and fragile.

Answer: GoodYear Mini Lobe air bags. (purchased off Craig's list for a song)

These are the same ones you get in the high dollar air ride seat cushion kits with an air compressor and all the fittings and electrics. These are also used on HD Cop bikes.

I will be doing this install without the air pump, using a small "Air tank" made from a copper pipe with a Shrader valve to pressurize it.

I have seen it done on a chopper and it's pretty simple, I will post progress pics and reports as they become available.

Rusty
    Rusty Bikes

1981 CX500C "Soup Line Sprinter" Post apocalyptic mayhem machine and daily driver

1979 CX500C Dirty whore doaner bike with messed up title issues (Dismantled)

1980 Honda Express NC50 no-ped

1988 Yamaha Riva 125

1979 CX500 Custom 26k Miles -One Previous Owner

In need of CX/GL info? Try the CX/GL Wiki Site

Safe Riding:The trophy for being safe is arriving the same way you departed; except for a little less fuel in the tank and a larger number on the odometer.

Ok,

I went Friday and picked up the parts, I found them on Craig's list for $40 and they came with hose and enough fittings to do a simple set up.

The guy was super cool dude with a full dress HD in the garage. He really dug my CX by the way.

The rectangular part on the right is a flow valve I picked up and may add to the set up.

Here are the cussions, one expanded and one collapsed.

These are the working dims of the bags if you are interested.

Here is a trial fit, the bags are just sitting in the frame. I will have to make a bracket to hold them.

The quality of these bags is excellent, heavy duty construction.

That's all I have to report. More details regarding the specifics of the install as soon as I figure them out.

Rusty
    Rusty Bikes

1981 CX500C "Soup Line Sprinter" Post apocalyptic mayhem machine and daily driver

1988 Yamaha Riva 125

Where are all your electrics ??

The bracket you make may need to be welded to the frame. Or a simple solution make a hanging bracket that will sit on top of the frame rails ? How will the front of the seat pivot?

81 CX500 Custom

82 CX500 Turbo

Do you think the main frame back bone is air tight? It sure would make a great built in air tank just by adding some fittings.

This idea came to me when I found those great flow valves. If I add more plumbing I can have a manually adjustable ride height level. Turn the "Charge" knob till the ride is high enough and then you close the valve. IF you decide the ride is too firm or too high turn the "Bleed" valve and let some pressure back out of the bags.

My other idea uses one flow control valve and a tank, the flow valve can be adjusted but would remain opened to the tank, the tank will be pressurized according to the desired ride height but can not be changed with out an air source, the tank would act as a buffer, the bags could force the air in the tank to compress and the flow valve would control the rate of "exchange" from tank to bags and back again.

I might be over complicating things from my first idea which was just a tubular tank that you would pressurize and that was that.

Rusty
    Rusty Bikes

1988 Yamaha Riva 125

There will be NO electrics for the air, only a tank that is filled with an air hose.

If you are referring the the CDI regulator and solenoid, they are on the other side of the frame sort of opposite the battery.

There needs to be a "Solo seat" style seat hinge welded to the front.

This is all in the "mock up" stage at this time.

This should be a step up from the old set up which was a single 350 Lb mountain bike spring under the middle of the seat, and 2 "Shackle" bolts holding the front of the seat to the frame while allowing some pivot and compression of the spring. It was a simple but effective solution, just a step above having the pan zip tied flat to the frame.

This is a work in progress.

Rusty
    Rusty Bikes

1988 Yamaha Riva 125

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    .......The guy was super cool dude with a full dress HD in the garage. He really dug my CX by the way.

I have an avid Harley guy trying to by my silver-turd at work... I guess these guys feel some sort of kinship with these bikes. I keep sending him links to ones that pop up on craigslist.... I plan on keeping my old girl.

I like this idea by the way. My a$$ is feeling every bump as well...

For posterity here are pictures of my mono spring seat support.

It has been cold and rainy this weekend, not conducive to work but giving me time to think.

I have removed the tank for a close look at the frame here is what I have found.

OK upon close examination, it appears to be welded shut at both ends and any holes for brackets have tubes welded inside, the tank mounts don't go into the back bone but inside a frame plate.

Now where to drill a hole that I can use for the plumbing and test the air tightness.

Looks like the frame will be the air tank for this idea.

Rusty
    Rusty Bikes

1988 Yamaha Riva 125

More pics coming tonight,

I have made a bracket that "Hangs" from the frame rails and have been working on front hinge ideas.

I have come to the conclusion that one of the most critical parts of this spring system is a strong seat hinge, there are el cheapo hinge kits and there are super delux hinge kits. You need the support of the hinge to keep the seat from rocking like a boat. I tried to make my own and the result was less than optimal. I had to go back to the shackle bolts holding the front of the seat pan down. And the air system has a leak, you should leak test out side the frame first, you can do this in the frame with some windex sprayed liberally over the hoses and fittings, look for bubbles.

Even with no air in the system it felt better having eliminated much vibration and adding a small amount of cusion.

The inclusion of an air tank is really a luxury and not needed in this system it would give you a reserve of air so you could show off your ingenious seat support at the bar... I mean the tea party..

Rusty
    Rusty Bikes

1988 Yamaha Riva 125

I have been riding the spring this week and except for the seat sliding back on the frame and the air fittings hitting my rear tire early on, it has worked reasonably well. I drilled a small hole in the backbone and blew some air inside, it is not an air tight chamber as I had hoped.

The addition of an air tank would soften up the ride.

Rusty

Edit: Pictures added.

This is the billy bob bracket I made.

This will be the seat hinge and support, currently it only serves to keep the seat from sliding back. (It goes under the seat.)

Here the bags have been installed on the hanging support bracket.

So far these are my observations.

Without a strong hinge and seat support it rocks like a boat.

Without a air tank the ride is firm but comfortable.

The backbone of the frame is not air tight and can not be used as an air tank without some mods but it us feasible.

Once the comfort level is figured out the air stays put and I have not added any air in 2 weeks of riding. The ride height is capable of much higher than I need, I generally run em pretty low with maybe 10 pounds of air in em. I will measure this today.

Rusty
    Rusty Bikes

1988 Yamaha Riva 125

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors