Honda CX 500 Forum banner

shaft drive gearing

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  kiwi_cx400_custom 
#1 ·
Hi

I have recently purchased a 1986 Honda CX400 Custom, have always loved the look of the v-twin.

Since buying new battery, new indicators, regeistered, new choke cable, new clutch cable, oil change and filter, air filter, and changed fluid in rear wheel.....

My bike was built at a time when the open road speed limit in NZ was 80km/h and is geared accordingly, 5000 rmp at 80km/h, thespeed limit is now 100km/h and the biek is doing close to 7000 rmp.

Are there interchangable rear ring and pinion gears I can put in, I dont want to put a bigger rear wheel / tyre as it would wreck the look

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
80km is roughly 50mph. That bike has a 15 inch rim doesn't it? If so the final drive is totally different from the cx500/400's that were in other countries. That should be a knocked down cx650. The cx650 had a inverted rear wheel flange assemble over what was standard on the others.

There isn't a kit for the speedometer gearing just rev the sucker up to what you need. It should have no problem going up to 10,000 rpms. Many people like low rpms but at low rpms there isn't any power. Good power doesn't kick in till over 5,000 rpms.

#3 ·
She sounds nice at low revs... but I do wind her up to travel at 100km (62mph) on the open road... Its a 26km (15 mile) ride to work for me so the bike is doing 30 miles a day (thats before the weekend) and mainly on open roads. Im getting 42 mpg (uk gallons) would also like to improve that, but not by riding slow

#4 ·
Cleaning and balancing your carbs along with other little things can make things better. You should be able to get 40-50 us mpg on a tuned bike.

Beware nomatter how good things are gas mileage usually falls off after 65-70mph.

Your bike is a special case and can be a pain in the ass to several due to what it was labeled and what it actually is. If it is truly a downsized cx650 then it has a clutch and primary gear that is higher than the cx500 made everywhere else.

You might want to get a hold of some people off the Australian CX/Gl forum as they know more of what you have. We can also help as there are many people from many places in this forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.