First impression of Murray's carbs - Page 42
Close

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: First impression of Murray's carbs

Whoa!! Talk about a tank!! That almost looks like the "Supertanker" of Stitch's....
    How about some details, lozman99

G-Loria's Story including Part III > I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands. Part III included at the end of the link.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

TAPATALK USERS--
    Please go into the Tapatalk app's settings and turn off the "auto signature" feature. Thank You.

I recently purchased Murray's carbs for my GL500. It took me a bit to get the throttle cable routing figured out, but with the help of Murray via a quick phone call, I got it all installed and ready to go. I've never had such an easy bolt-on horsepower gain go so painless. This was so turnkey and dialed in right out the box. I highly recommend these carbs to anyone that is looking to improve the performance of their twisted twin. And furthermore, if you're within a few hours drive, do yourself a favor and stop in to meet this guy. He not only sold me a set of awesome carbs, but also has an inventory of parts that I was already going to buy that I didn't have to find a source for. His willingness and eagerness to share his wealth of knowledge is worth the trip in itself. I plan to stop out there in the near future just to show him how my project is coming along and to maybe gain a little more wisdom.
    '72 cb350 cafe racer

'82 GL500 brat project

Can't argue with that. The guy is a gem.
    G-Loria's Story including Part III > I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands. Part III included at the end of the link.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

TAPATALK USERS--
    Please go into the Tapatalk app's settings and turn off the "auto signature" feature. Thank You.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Okay...

After a season suffering through with the original Keihin carbs on my '83 CX650E I got hold of a pair of Murray's Carbs. The CX650E shares the same stupid frame at the GL and so forces the carbs to be tucked up inside and the two lower frame spines get in the way of the throttle cables that protrude from the top of the carbs. The only way to avoid pinching the cables more than I'd be comfortable with is to ever so slightly tip the carbs inward. It's hardly noticeable and I called Murray to check and make sure that the carbs not being level was okay. He was kind enough to answer his phone on a Saturday and assured me that it would be fine. Thanks Murray!

Old man winter has kept me off the road but I put the carbs on the bike and started it in the garage. Idle is perfect, response is excellent, they'll be easier to tune to a custom exhaust by all accounts. Not to mention that they're just nicer to look at!

The carbs are now off and the engine is out of the frame for major suspension modifications, frame modifications, exhaust manufacturing, gauges and upper triple clamps and rear set treatments as well as a boat load of powder coating, polishing and painting of parts that needs to happen before I post pictures.

In short, my assessment is...buy them. They're worth it. Not to mention the aluminum intakes look waaaayyyyyy nicer than the horrid stock ones.
    '83 CX650E (w/ a '79 CX500D tank and...well...lots of other progressing changes)

My turn for a first impression. I'm going into my second summer with my cx500 custom. When I got it, I immediately started having carb trouble with the original carbs. So I sent them off to Larry and let him do work his magic on them. Bike road like a gem after that.
    I happened upon a set of Murray's carbs on craiglist when I was randomly looking for the fun of it. So I jumped on them along with a deluxe tank and off I was on a full on conversion That was at the end of last summer. After having Murray balance the carbs, I threw them on the bike, and started looking into exhaust options. Before I could get anything finished up, the rainy season moved in on us here in the Seattle area and the bike sat over the winter time.
    Fast forward to this spring and I get the deluxe tank on, and my newly welded exhaust pipes on. After a few attempts, the bike was alive! I took the bike out for a spin for the first time today with Murray's carbs on. OH BOY! The bike rode like a dream. After about a mile, I jumped on it. Nothing but a big grin I've never made the bike jump in 3rd gear like I did today. If you're on the fence about getting these, do it. Murray is a great asset and was very helpful towards me when I had questions.

Name:  cx500_1.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  205.9 KB
    1980 CX500 Custom

Bellevue, WA, USA

I've got Murrays carbs on my '81 Custom but I don't have a comparison to post. So far Ive only had the bike at idle and rev in the garage but I am withina week of having the bike ready for safety and being plated. I won't have much to say that others here havent already said but so far it idles much better than with the stock carbs and it was a very easy upgrade. I will post once it is out terrorizing the streets lol.
    Wasaga Beach, ON, Canada

1981 Honda CX500 Custom
    Named: TBD

I put on a set of Murrays carbs yesterday. My bike is nowhere near done but I had to do a quick test. So much easier than constant fiddling with the stock carbs.

-Will

Last edited by Dedsled; 05-06-2017 at 08:56 AM.
    cx500slacker likes this.

This is my first post on the forum, so that's exciting. But not as exciting as Murray's carbs that I just put on my 1981 CX500C. Previous carbs ran decently well until i lodged an extractor screw in the low jet- so I said what a great opportunity to upgrade to Murray's. Murray was quick and has been super helpful- obviously.

Install was smooth and easy.

but i installed the throttle cable incorrectly. DON'T PUT THE CABLE UNDER THE SPINE IN BETWEEN THE ENGINE MOUNT HANGERS. there is an old thread with that instruction, but Murray called me and said to PUT THE CABLE ON TOP OF THE SPINE FOR THE ENGINE TO REST ON. that way the cables don't pinch and wear out as quickly.

I am an idiot and had a few minutes of ignorance with the choke. To engage the choke and deprive air, push the lever down. When you pull it back up after she's idling as smooth as a kitten's purr, pull the choke levers up. This and my cable issue made for some rough idling. So get that figured out before you mess something up.

If you think something isn't working properly don't adjust anything. Give murray a call- i've read that pretty much everywhere on this forum. Sounds like we can do a lot more "damage" to this carb than with the stock- Murray knows his stuff.

FIRST RIDE WITH THE MIKUNIS- holy hell.

She gets up nice and fast, has a beautiful air sucking sound, and the carbs love it when the throttle is open!

Now to put a pillow on the girl and RIP IT

tiexgrr likes this.

The carbs are excellent. I am just now putting my bike back together and finally started the engine for the first time after the rebuild. The bike fires up with ease, even during a cold start, and idles perfect. Throttle response seems very good. I have not ridden the bike yet as I still have to finish the seat and tank paint work but all seems very promising. These carbs were set up very nice. Definitely worth the money.
    1980 CX500 D

The carbs are truly amazing, reliable and so easy to clean/maintain.
    Dionysis

79 CX500 C
    07 RSV 1000R
    08 WR250R

IBA#58777

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 LastLast

Sponsored Links