cx500c rear cowl mock up
Close

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: cx500c rear cowl mock up

cx500c rear cowl mock up

Hello all - I have been looking for a standard tank for my custom for some time now and it has not worked out so far. In the mean time I started playing around with some rough ideas about what I could do with the custom tank. The images below are a mock up using someone else's bike. Mine is currently a stock cx500c.

The idea is to make a rear cowl out of fiberglass that matches the custom tank as I have seen done before. The extension on the idea is to have a removable section that would reveal more seating area for carrying someone.

I wanted thoughts on the shape and angle of the cowl with the custom tank, and than also thoughts on the morphing cowl/seat idea. I have seen it done in the past but am pondering the feasibility. It may be more trouble than it is worth.

Name:  cx500c rear cowl design 1.jpg
Views: 2007
Size:  38.2 KB
    Name:  cx500c rear cowl design 2.jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  34.7 KB
    Last edited by culprit; 09-19-2013 at 02:55 PM.
    1979 CX500c Cafe/Brat in Progress Build Thread

More angle... but it seems like the rear seat section would be at a weird angle unless I brought the seat cushion higher.

Name:  cx500c rear cowl design 3.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  35.6 KB
    Last edited by culprit; 09-19-2013 at 03:01 PM.

I decided I liked the design with the straight seat and cowl. Here is what it could look like with the cowl removed. Not sure yet what would be best for the attachment mechanism. I would prefer something that doesn't need screws. Some kind of clips or straps would be ideal.

Name:  cx500c rear cowl design 4.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  38.0 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

magnetic attachment would be cool
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

That's a great idea murrayf! I could make dimples where the cowl and seat meet which would hold the over-all position and then use neodymium rare earth magnets to secure the pieces.

What do you think of the over-all shape of the cowl, seat, and tank? Ignore colors and everything else on the bike as I'm not sure what I'm going to do there... I prefer the standard tank but this design is growing on me, and once I begin I don't think I could convert to a standard tank without modifying the front end of the seat.

This will be my first time using fiber glass but I am pretty crafty and there is a lot of good information on this forum and other places so I feel pretty confident.
    Tawdtr7 likes this.

Another mock up of the design using a different photo. This shows the angle from the side. I would need to raise the tail a bit to make sure I clear the rear wheel and make the tank, seat, and cowl level with the ground. Also would need to make a hole for the rear shock connection to the frame. Please excuse the poor editing quality, I did not use photoshop, just MS word... But you can see the idea.

Name:  cx500c rear cowl design 5.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  70.2 KB
    Name:  cx500c rear cowl design 6.jpg
Views: 2436
Size:  38.6 KB
    Last edited by culprit; 09-20-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Is the hump for aesthetics or do you plan to use it to stop you sliding on the seat, just a thought as the attachment method might be pretty important if you plan to push up against it. My seat has a hump and I'm thinking of making a totally different seat for two up riding rather than having one that tries to do it all as 99% of the time it'll just be me.

Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    Is the hump for aesthetics or do you plan to use it to stop you sliding on the seat, just a thought as the attachment method might be pretty important if you plan to push up against it. My seat has a hump and I'm thinking of making a totally different seat for two up riding rather than having one that tries to do it all as 99% of the time it'll just be me.

Cheers
    Steve
    Not just for looks - I would like to put weight against it. The neodymium magnets are very strong but to your point it may need some better fastening system...

This was my initial idea. The blue dots are the magnets, and the bottom image is a top view. The tabs would slide into slots on the main seat section and the magnets would hold in place. Weight would be pushed toward the direction of the slots and I would think would hold but maybe something more permanent is in order.
    Name:  cx500c rear cowl design 7.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  11.0 KB

I saw someone create a similar design but the cowl overlapped the main seat portion and had finger screws that stayed in the cowl when removed and there were nuts mounted to the main seat section. See image below. Orange dots are screws. I feel like this design is less aesthetically pleasing but would be more secure.
    Name:  cx500c rear cowl design 8.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  6.1 KB

What are your thoughts on the over-all shape with the custom tank?

Btw - awesome bike, I read through your build and the custom fairing is fantastic.
    Last edited by culprit; 09-23-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Submitted my materials order. Still playing around with how it might attach. Starting to lean toward spring clips, or quick release nuts with the bolt and nut imbedded in the fiber glass.
    Name:  cx500c rear cowl design 10.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  11.2 KB

Another mock up...
    Name:  cx500c rear cowl design 9.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  57.6 KB

While waiting for parts to arrive I have been thinking about how to paint the fiberglass to look like metal. Does anyone have experience with aluminum powder mixed with resin as used in cold casting? The link below shows a guy using it to paint on a metal effect.
    Brushed Aluminum paint effect?? - THE H.A.M.B.

Was also thinking about using Krylon looking glass mirror spray.
    Krylon K09033000 Looking Glass Mirror-Like Aerosol Spray Paint, 6-Ounce - Amazon.com

Both options seems to have decent results if done properly. I want the final texture to look like brushed metal. Nothing perfect. Unfortunately if I want it to match the tank I will have to paint it using the same process.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links