Is the dual disc front brake upgrade a big improvement? - Page 5
Close

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Is the dual disc front brake upgrade a big improvement?

I went with a new cheap ebay master cylinder with the larger bore size (5/8?). The old one needed to be replaced anyways, it was also a cheap ebay master cylinder, which worked fine and lasted about 6 years.

I still need to measure out and order stainless steel brake lines--although the old lines were included with the forks and calipers, I wouldn't trust them.
    Last edited by Manzanita; 05-10-2017 at 05:43 PM.
    1981 CX500 Custom
    2014 Zero S

Yep. I had one from a CX650E on my GoldWing for a few years (when it needed new rubber parts I got one of the CB400 ones Murray recommends).
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)
    Eccles: The Never Ending Build
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI
    FORUM SETTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE

Nope

Well my dreams of an easy dual-disc install have been shattered...

Name:  brake-photo1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  73.4 KBName:  brake-photo2.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  55.3 KB

left (OEM) spacing ok, right (new lower) spacing too small (caliper won't fit--neither the cx500 or the cb650 calipers, which have an equal offset).

The problem is the cb650 forks have caliper mounts adjusted inward, because the cb650 wheel (and triple tree) are wider.

So the only way for sure to line everything up is to replace the cx500 triple tree with a cb650 triple tree (and install the cb650 wheel, which I do have).

Or do you think I could get either the fork lower caliper mounts shaved, or the caliper brackets shaved? It is about 4mm too narrow.
    1981 CX500 Custom
    2014 Zero S

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have twin CB 900 discs and calipers on my thingy.

The forks are Oz market CX500 which came with twin discs.

My plan was to use two of the discs from the 78 model which had the larger single disc. These discs are thicker than the CB900 discs though and won't fit into the right caliper with new pads.

So I sourced two CB900 discs and the whole lot fits together as it should. These are the same diameter as a 78 CX disc but thinner.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

@cxfreak, so your bike came with caliper mounting holes on both fork tubes, but only a caliper installed on the left? It does seem like another way to alter the alignment is to get different discs, as their thickness and offset from the hub can vary... but I don't think simply swapping discs is going to work for me, since I have essentially created a frankenbike by combining the cb650 lower fork with the cx500 wheel/triple-tree/left side.

So although it seems like shaving the right brake mount sounds like a really dumb idea (and maybe it is), I measured my left cx500 brake mounts and they are 19mm wide, whereas the right (cb650) fork lower has brake mounts that are 26mm wide. Since I only need 4mm shaved, the shaved side will still be 3mm thicker than the unmodified cx500 side.... should I do it?

And if I bring the lower fork into a machine shop with the caliper a) will they be able to do it? and b) will they be willing to do it?
    1981 CX500 Custom
    2014 Zero S

[QUOTE@cxfreak, so your bike came with caliper mounting holes on both fork tubes, but only a caliper installed on the left? It does seem like another way to alter the alignment is to get different discs, as their thickness and offset from the hub can vary... but I don't think simply swapping discs is going to work for me, since I have essentially created a frankenbike by combining the cb650 lower fork with the cx500 wheel/triple-tree/left side.

So although it seems like shaving the right brake mount sounds like a really dumb idea (and maybe it is), I measured my left cx500 brake mounts and they are 19mm wide, whereas the right (cb650) fork lower has brake mounts that are 26mm wide. Since I only need 4mm shaved, the shaved side will still be 3mm thicker than the unmodified cx500 side.... should I do it?

And if I bring the lower fork into a machine shop with the caliper a) will they be able to do it? and b) will they be willing to do it?][/QUOTE]

The answer is if you are using cb tubes use

the entire front fork everything.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel,so to speak.

I am working on putting a complete

GL1100 front on a cx frame its easy

just move the tube up for proper length

weld,,install proper new bearings

do any maintenance/repairs bleed brakes

ride.

same thing can be done w/ cb forks from 650 750 900 1000

and a huge list of others mix and match just complicates

a simple straight forward job.

Should have done the quote thing first time around

makes things more clear.

Pheak i know its not your first rodeo,

so doubt you will get thrown so easily.

and i sorta oversimplified the swap as there

are some differences with caliper piston diameter

due to linked brakes,a few models came with.

Simple fix or run as is.
    Last edited by purplecx500; 05-19-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    SideCar Bob's settings. http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...ould-make.html
    Main Wiki you can search by topic: http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    Old rant http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...me-advice.html
    St
    StatorTest;;
    http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    'Eager" 1979 CX500C Maroon.
    Named for the way it runs/sounds @ 65 +

Not quite. The bike in question is an Oz market 78 CX. These came with the same single disc setup as US market CXs used. But .... I replaced the forks with those from an Oz market 80 CX, which were twin discs. I also used the wheel from this model for the twin disc mountings.

So, in a roundabout way you are correct.

The CB750/900 caliper mounts fitted directly to the bolt spacing of the forks and the caliper is in the correct position.

There's a picture of the setup a few posts down this page.

Phreaks thingy.
    purplecx500 likes this.

@purplecx500: weld? what are you welding? Is grinding off 4mm of a mount that much harder than welding? In either case I'd have to take it to a shop...

Well yes, replacing the entire front end is more straightforward, just not as easy... if my hack had worked... but since it doesn't...

And to try what I just tried really is not going to take much effort to undo--I simply have to remove the right fork tube and then go ahead and buy and replace the triple tree (remember the unmodified cb650 fork uppers are too long).

Hopefully it will be that easy! I mean buying a cb650 triple tree for $50 is not such a big deal, but I hope once I do that it will not also require other cb650 bits and pieces, 'cause we know all those parts will be happily sold on ebay for ridiculous prices... the fork tubes and wheel with brake calipers was under $200. That seemed reasonable... now with the triple tree that is $250. Of course I need new brake lines which were $90 so I'm almost at $350. Geez, I bought the entire original bike for $400! So that is my mentality... just trying to find the shortest distance to my goal.
    1981 CX500 Custom
    2014 Zero S

I don't understand why you didn't use both of the CB650 sliders. There may be other differences between them and the CX ones that you haven't noticed..... Like maybe a subtle difference in where the fender bolts on or the size of the axle.

At this point, I would take the other CB650 slider to the machine shop, tell them what you want to do and ask for a price to do both. If it is less than the cost of the CB650 triple clamps it might be worth doing but if they quote you more than the triple clamps I know which way I would lean.

As for how much things cost, welcome to the world of antique motorcycles. I paid $400 for the much abused CX650E that became Eccles and ended up spending another $600 or so just to make it roadworthy & turn it into a winter commuter machine (not counting the sidecar that I already had). Several times over the years I have spent more than $400 in a year for the parts needed to keep it safe & reliable. BUT if you were to add up everything I have spent on it over the years, even if you included tires, oil changes &c it would still be less than if I had bought something brand new (which would be 11 years & 90,000+ KM old by now anyway).
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)
    Eccles: The Never Ending Build
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI
    FORUM SETTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE

I've generally found that having done all the work needed to recommission a CX they actually cost sweet bugger all to own.
    nolimitz likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links