CX500c front disc conversion
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Okay, this was the idea: instead of simply trying steel braided brake lines, the Dude decided to go all out and bought himself some GL500i front forks for his CX500c to do a dual front disc conversion.

Immediately we had problems. No surprise to anyone who's gotten into these bikes, it doesn't mesh perfectly (close, but no cigar). Worst part is, we knew it but had forgotten. D'oh!!

The Dude, however, is bound and determined to make this fit. As in, nothing is going to keep him from doing this (believe me, I gave it my darndest). I plan to take pics of the conversion as it progresses but some of the issues we've run into so far include:

- the Clubman handlebars rest on the GL triple tree at what would be the normal position (that can be adjusted)

- unless the bars are set up high they will pinch his fingers in any kind of extreme turn against the side of the (wide) Custom tank

- the fuse box above the triple tree butts up against the front lip of the tank, stopping any real side-to-side movement

- based on the last two reasons the tabs that dictate how far the handlebars turn will need to be adjusted to allow less travel if we can't get the handlebars and tank to work with the new triple tree

....yeah I know, this thread is useless without pics. I promise they will be provided, hopefully by tonight. We've considered every combination of fork tube/lower/axle/triple tree but the fact remains: the GL fork lowers are different (they use caps to hold the axle, whereas the CX is a screw-in axle), the GL axle itself is wider to accommodate the extra disc, and we'd need the triple tree from the GL to accommodate the width of the new discs.

All of which I'm sure is singing to the choir here....

Anyway, I'm 100% sure the Dude's crazy scheme (I just wanted him to get a steel braided line but noooo, he wanted the whole shebang) isn't the first time this has been tried. He intends to shave off the bottom front of the fusebox to accommodate the new triple tree and live with the slightly less aggressive Clubman setting (we're considering bar risers too), but the tank is going to be an issue no matter which way we go. The old GL tank we had from my parts bike obviously didn't fit whatsoever, and the CXc is either going to have to be heavily modified or replaced. I'd love to get my hands on a Standard or Deluxe to see how the new set-up would work with them clearance-wise but they're at a premium given the cafe racer popularity and, well, they rule for that application.

Any advice for this project? Anyone have some experience in this matter they'd care to impart? The builder bike is a 1981 CX500c and the forks are from a GL500i. The calipers and brake rotors come from a GL1100 and fit well with the wider axle (but not with the stock CX500 front tire; the spacers don't match up at all). Pictures will be forthcoming, but any thoughts?
    1979 CX500 Standard

2008 DL650 - "Bumblewee"

My CX uses caps to hold the axle, not "screw in."

hrmmm

post pictures....

Quote Originally Posted by philbrewer View Post
    My CX uses caps to hold the axle, not "screw in."

hrmmm

post pictures....
    some cx,s had front axles,screw in.not cap and spindle
    1981 GL500 , UK MODEL,needing a bit of tender loving care

1982 GL500 , UK MODEL,my daily ride.

Andalucia,in the south of spain

aka spanish bandit

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have GL forks on my Custom but I did change to a deluxe tank.
    79' CX500

80' CX500

07' Streetglide

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Y View Post
    I have GL forks on my Custom but I did change to a deluxe tank.
    So Deluxe tanks will work with the new GL forks on the CX?

I've got pics but need to get to a computer to load them on. Suffice to say, we're finding more and more that'll need work...
    1979 CX500 Standard

2008 DL650 - "Bumblewee"

Yes, but I cut off the rear mount and moved it to match the Deluxe tank. The forks do come very very close to the tank.
    79' CX500

80' CX500

07' Streetglide

Alright images like I promised:

Difference in length (the GL forks are already on the bike)

A closer comparison of the fork lower lowers

The major clearance problem (Custom tank and fuse box with new forks)

Yet another clearance problem (CX ignition is too short for the GL triple tree)

Handlebars rest too much on the new triple tree

Yeah this could be fun. Or, not, depending on your mindset, but a little challenge is good right?
    1979 CX500 Standard

2008 DL650 - "Bumblewee"

As far as the handle bars, I've stumbled across a different set of clubmans that are wider in an effort to clear the tree.

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...andlebars.html CLUB2C or 2B is what you want.

I may pick these up eventually.

That fuse box looks more bulky than the one on my GL. Maybe a GL box would help. Or get one of those blade-type boxes and relocate to under the seat.
    81 GL500

Sissy Bars Are For Sissies

We've been focused on a CB750 cafe racer that we're to pick up tomorrow, but the Dude tonight finally did some measurements for a new upper triple clamp.

He has access to a CNC so wants to go that route. Hopefully after the R&D is done we may be able to make more, but we'll see. The design means we'll have to change around a few things such as the cluster bracket, indicator lights and headlight brackets, plus using clip-on handlebars, all of which were going to be changed anyway.
    1979 CX500 Standard

2008 DL650 - "Bumblewee"

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    We've been focused on a CB750 cafe racer that we're to pick up tomorrow, but the Dude tonight finally did some measurements for a new upper triple clamp.

He has access to a CNC so wants to go that route. Hopefully after the R&D is done we may be able to make more, but we'll see. The design means we'll have to change around a few things such as the cluster bracket, indicator lights and headlight brackets, plus using clip-on handlebars, all of which were going to be changed anyway.
    If you have access to a CNC just use the F4 forks and tripples. You get fully adjustable suspension with massive braking power. It is not a particularly hard conversion to do. I have done it twice already.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links