Closing the rear end of the frame - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Closing the rear end of the frame

Quote Originally Posted by nickmoto View Post
    "and welding another spacer here (in red) and having two bolts come up through the cross bar here."

I was planning to weld my cross bar to the top (flanges) rather than in the recessed area so that my seat pan wouls sit flush with the cross bar. Is there any reason you didn't do that?
    ummmmm nope not really , I guess I was thinking that welding it to the "body" of the tube would provide more rigidity than welding to the top flanges.

"this is how the rear end came out. I plan on creating a piece of metal on the bottom as a electronics tray/fender eliminator as well"

I have the same plan. Instead of welding it to the bike, I planned to bolt the front of that to the bottom of the CDI mounts and the back of it to the cross bar. Thoughts?
    yea for all of the electric pan stuff I was going to do nuts and bolts in the same those same mounting places, so if need be I can pull it off and fix thinks as needed.
    1979 CX500 Standard

6 P's of Engineering:
    Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by MechEngr67 View Post
    ummmmm nope not really , I guess I was thinking that welding it to the "body" of the tube would provide more rigidity than welding to the top flanges.

yea for all of the electric pan stuff I was going to do nuts and bolts in the same those same mounting places, so if need be I can pull it off and fix thinks as needed.
    And how are you planning to bolt on the rear fender?
    1980 CX500 Deluxe

Nickmoto,

So I made a few modifications to my original plan and I got to use my friends welder yesterday so I guess I'm committed. I have the bolts in the front like I Planned but in the back I welded these L brackets they will keep the side to side movement to a min and I think I am going to drill and tap the frame so I can use a bolt to hold it down. than I will be able to use the cross rail to mount a rear fender if I choose to do that. I may just do a tire hugger and use the electronics tray as a "fender"

1979 CX500 Standard

6 P's of Engineering:

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

I too crossed the rubicon this weekend. Man I'm a crappy MIG welder but I enjoy weiding an angle grinder. Happy with everything except for the length of the frame. I fear I've cut it too short for riding two up. I think i'll porbably weld a tab that runs from the cross bracket out to the rear of the seat for added support.

Name:  IMG_5158.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  1.78 MBName:  IMG_5159.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  1.71 MBName:  IMG_5160.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  1.87 MB
    1980 CX500 Deluxe

your welds looks good! amazing what an angle grinder can do. I agree for that seat you may have cut off too much the frame, you'll have to do something to support it but I don't this that welding a tab to the cross bar will be effective unfortunately. I may be overthinking the problem but the tab that you would weld on the cross bar may deflect down under any significant load due to the low moment of inertia of the tab (the thickness of the tab in the direction the of the force applied), plus the weight applied may even twist and bend the cross bar if its only in the center. I think the safest bet would be to add to the frame extending it out further so you can make the piece "taller" without running into the tire. I would hate for your seat pan to bend or something worse to happen.
    1979 CX500 Standard

6 P's of Engineering:

I think that seat is designed to fit over a hoop tail. You might want to consider that.

R
    10th Annual Minnesota Spring Ride and Barbecue - Saturday, May 13, 2017
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1978 CX500 Standard - The Grub

1981 GL500 Basket case -> AdventureWing (Dual-sport conversion in progress) - Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

1979 CX500 Deluxe rolling chassis -> Hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Randall-in-Mpls View Post
    I think that seat is designed to fit over a hoop tail. You might want to consider that.

R
    A tab certainly isn't the most sound way to go but I doubt it will ever have such force that it causes the cross-bracket to twist.

A hoop makes more sense than extending out the frame. Does everyone "plug" hoops into the frame or is there precedent for welding a hoop along the inside of the frame?
    1980 CX500 Deluxe

I think I may plug these LEDs into each "plug" Seems straightforward. Famous last words right?[/QUOTE]

Yep. given the fact that you need to tighten a nut up on the rear face of where the LED mounts - that is, from inside your frame rails ! LOL
    -------------------------------------

A CX500 embodies purity of spirit, it stands alone at the apex of motorcycling, it is an icon of industry, and ... I think I may have had too much rum.

-------------------------------------

Honda CX500 Custom (project bike), Suzuki GSX1400 (daily rider), Land Rover Defender 130

Senior Member exploring/carolina's Avatar
    This is my CX:

A tab certainly isn't the most sound way to go but I doubt it will ever have such force that it causes the cross-bracket to twist.
    The first time the seat pan bends from the weight of you or a passenger, you'll learn how much force can be exerted on it. Remember, all of this will be in motion. The tail end of the seat will need to resist a lot of dynamic forces.

R
    10th Annual Minnesota Spring Ride and Barbecue - Saturday, May 13, 2017
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1978 CX500 Standard - The Grub

1981 GL500 Basket case -> AdventureWing (Dual-sport conversion in progress) - Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

1979 CX500 Deluxe rolling chassis -> Hmm?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links