Engine painted, and polished some aluminum parts. Valves cleaned and lapped.
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Engine painted, and polished some aluminum parts. Valves cleaned and lapped.

Engine painted, and polished some aluminum parts. Valves cleaned and lapped.

Valve clearances done, new Barnett clutch,
    I heard that the radiator is brass. Can't wait to strip it and polish it.

Name:  20170104_172156[1].jpg
Views: 118
Size:  3.99 MB, Name:  20170108_183747[1].jpg
Views: 115
Size:  3.45 MB, Name:  20170101_123614[1].jpg
Views: 122
Size:  4.27 MB, Name:  20170108_183756[1].jpg
Views: 116
Size:  3.68 MB

One of the next steps should be the correct position of the two angles of the rear brake levers

BTW: Radiators aren't painted just for the way flat black looks. Flat black radiated heat better than any other colour and that's what a radiator is there for....
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)

Click here for Eccles: The Never Ending Build (retroactive to 2006)
    Click here to visit my blog at CURD

CLICK HERE FOR CX WIKI

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sidecar Bob View Post
    BTW: Radiators aren't painted just for the way flat black looks. Flat black radiated heat better than any other colour and that's what a radiator is there for....
    I've heard that the paint actually adds another layer between the fins and and the air and has a negative effect on the transfer of heat. Acting as a sort of insulator for the radiator.

Bit of a question for physics I guess. Does the black dissipate more heat or does the paint insulate more than the colour radiates?

At either rate, I doubt it makes any really noticeable difference and my radiator is black.
    Currently building 2 Cafe Racers:

CX500 Standard - Current working title "Furry Rat"
    CX500C - Building this for my father, doesn't have a name yet still waiting for something to come to me

A radiator with flat black paint will transfer heat to the air better than one that is shiny polished brass. Aside from colour, greater surface area transfers heat better. The surface of flat paint is full of tiny bumps & dips and when you buffing makes the surface extremely smooth so the paint will have a much greater surface area.

I think it would be nearly impossible to polish a rad's fins, though so if you left them black and polished the steel sides and brass tanks as others have done it probably wouldn't have too adverse an effect on how well it works unless you live somewhere very hot.

CLICK HERE FOR CX WIKI

Quote Originally Posted by Son of eevil View Post
    I've heard that the paint actually adds another layer between the fins and and the air and has a negative effect on the transfer of heat. Acting as a sort of insulator for the radiator.

Bit of a question for physics I guess. Does the black dissipate more heat or does the paint insulate more than the colour radiates?

At either rate, I doubt it makes any really noticeable difference and my radiator is black.

You would also need to factor in the extra heatsoak mass of the black paint which would reduce the heat within the metal. But as you said it will all be so marginal as to be one half of a gnat's bollock.
    GL500 Interstate in Silver, just like the cover of the Haynes manual!

CX500 EC Sitting on the drive , rotting :-(

Yes, but it's a dry heat!

A radiator with flat black paint will transfer heat to the air better than one that is shiny polished brass. Aside from colour, greater surface area transfers heat better. The surface of flat paint is full of tiny bumps & dips and when you buffing makes the surface extremely smooth so the paint will have a much greater surface area.
    Just to be argumentative you're also reduce the space between the fins by painting it thus reducing the total amount of air that can flow through the fins less air = less heat transfer. Black also absorbs heat meaning that it will absorb heat from outside sources as well, air, sunlight, etc. As much as it appears I'm arguing against painting I genuinely don't think it's possible to find the answer to the question.

Black paint helps in some ways, hinders in others. Does it help more than it hinders or hinder more than it helps? I doubt we'll ever know and anyone claiming to have the answer should be disregarded unless they've done some practical test with a very good sample size.

FYI, painted my radiator black yesterday.

CX500C - Building this for my father, doesn't have a name yet still waiting for something to come to me

As long as the rad is hotter than the air it will be radiating, not absorbing heat. And unless you have a pretty thick layer of paint it won't decrease the space between the fins enough to make any difference.

CLICK HERE FOR CX WIKI

As long as the rad is hotter than the air it will be radiating, not absorbing heat.
    That's not really how it works. Yes it will always radiate heat so long as it's hotter than whatever is around it but it's always absorbing heat from all sources.

For example. If you put a radiator under a 500watt heat lamp and let it get to maximum temperature then you added a 250watt heat lamp it would heat up even further. It absorbs heat from all sources not just the hottest one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links