Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Modern front end swap... fusebox?

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  WutUpCuuuz 
#1 ·
For the guys who have swapped out their front ends with a modern USD fork setup.... what was your solution for the fuses. Im thinking about purchasing a small fusebox and just re-wiring in new fuses but Im curious to see if any of you have come up with a better solution.

#2 ·
Most Hondas that I've seen appear to share the same spacing of the handlebar clamps. If your donor is a Honda with a top-mounted 7/8" handlebar, your existing fuse box just might fit.

R

#4 ·
I bought a small 4 fuse box and mounted it under the gas tank just behind the coils. If you put inverted fork on you will have to move your tank back or you forks will hit your tank. I also have a deluxe gas tank on my gl650.

Like murray said, If you can do a front end swap the fuse box relocation is a walk in the park.

#5 ·
The thought of a fuse box under the fuel tank gives me pause. I can envision some scary things that could be averted by a different location.

#8 ·
So I have the '05 1000rr front end. I also have the deluxe tank mounted already. Was thinking underneath the tank as well. My tank removes with one bolt and then slides off so it might not be a huge deal to have it under the tank.

Thanks for the input gents.

#10 ·
Thats not too shabby! I have a '07 ZX6R that I just pulled a trashed wiring harness off of. Im thinking about taking the fuse box off of it and using it.

I wish I could use it under the seat like you but I have no room. Still working on a location that wont look cluttered :/

#11 ·
I made a cover/box made from stainless steel which is mounted under the headlights (I only used stainless only because I was using on other parts of the bike like the rad cover and wanted it match). I wired in new blade style fuses and I was able to put tuck all the superfluous wiring in the box. Before I get jumped on here for using stainless steel... I used door edges on all the edges of the box and wrapped the wiring as a preventative measure. I think there's a close up of the box on page 5 of my build.

#12 ·
I ended up passing on the zx6r fuse box. I resulted to the original fuse box, slimmed and covered. Then I mounted it on top of the frame rail and under the gas tank. I would rather have the blade fuses but I couldnt find a fuse box I liked so this was a easy fix for now. I also moved the wiring harness back and now all connections are under the tank keeping a nice and clean look to the front end.

#13 · (Edited)
The fuse box has been an on-going think for me... Originally I got a 10-way fuse box similar to this one ( 10 Way Circuit Automotive ATC/ATO Blade Fuse Box Block Holder | eBay ) and had plans to somehow mount it to the down-tube under the seat (that big ass tube that's like 3" OD). The problem with that is that tube has virtually no straight point in it, it curves and bends pretty much the whole way, and the further down you go the smaller the OD gets.

So, the original plan was to drill a couple holes through that tube and bolt-on the new fuse box, that's when I found that doing that with the rear wheel still on is a pain. So I tried zip-tying it on, but with the curve in that tube the seems on each end of my fuse box cracked and separated, so it seems I need to find a better way of securing the box to the tube...

Recently I've thought about making my own fuse box using liquid rubber (Plasti-Dip, or something similar), some kind of mold that incorporates a 3" OD tube that has the same curve, and whatever those little metal pieces are called that the blade fuses go into (still haven't found what those are actually called). The new plan is to either: A) make a custom fit fuse box from scratch that'll sit snug against that down-tube or B) find a good candidate for clamping on to that tube with hose clamps. Or maybe even C) using something "spongy", gluing a stiff plate to one side of it, "mounting" the box to that plate and securing that to the tube (so that the spongy side can form to the curve of the tube while the fuse box remains still against the hard, flat surface of the other side)... <- just had that idea, that might be the route I go.

In the meantime, for the sake of just having a reliable (maybe temporary), low-profile way of holding fuses I think I'll just get some in-line fuse holders and wire em straight in to the harness.

The end-goal, however, is to have an easily accessible fuse box mounted somewhere to give a cleaner, more organized look. My bike is fairly stripped down so I'm trying to let as little show as possible.

#17 ·
I dunno... haha. I'll definitely downgrade it to 6 or 8, tops, when I revisit that task. My planning was to have a fuse for everything + room to add more circuits in the future if need be (like adding a small usb charger or something... might add some small speakers in the future if I can make em blend in).

#18 ·
Use modeling clay to take an impression of the frame where you intend to mount the fuse box. Use that to cast a plaster replica of the frame, which you can incorporate into your mold.

I'd just make a mount to adapt an off-the-shelf fuse box, so the sockets, etc are already done.

R

#19 ·
Did some searching last night and stumbled on this... 2PC 3inch BULLBAR MOUNTING BRACKET CLAMP FOR GENERAL LED LIGHT BAR WHITE HID | eBay

Surprised I didn't find something like that before, just what I need to make this task a lot simpler (now I don't have to make a mold, etc., etc.). And they come in plenty of sizes so I can see myself using these for a headlight mount, possibly, in the future, or some other mount for something. Gotta love the interwebs!

#21 ·
Just got done mounting my fuse box... In hindsight, it would be a snugger fit if I'd gone with 2.5" mounts, but I had some 1/2" thick weather-stripping left over from a previous project which really helped (and pushing this setup as far down as it would go also helped with stability). Happy with my new fuse box...
Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line Car

...now I wanna figure out a way to have bolt-on fenders for when the roads are wet. Ideally something I could fit in my pack... back to the lab ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.