Inheritance, a GL500 build. - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Inheritance, a GL500 build.

Well today was another unseasonably warm day in this part of the world. A balmy 9°c (48°f).

I'm basically at a standstill until parts are ordered and arrive, so I took advantage of the warm sun and gave the motor a good scrub.

I also tore apart the thermostat housing, and pipework, pulled the two coolant drain bolts for the heads and let some water clear the system. Everything is in decent shape so I will be replacing the O-rings and reassembling. While I have the motor out I'll change the thermostat also... just in case.

While the thermostat looks good the impeller for the water pump looks happy also. little to no play, and no build up of crud. Unfortunately I discovered the source of my leak on the WP. It appears that the last time the seal was done someone (most likely my Dad) used a screwdriver to pry the pump cover off. I'll see if I can save the cover by filing away the worst of it and building up the damaged areas. If not I'll have to try and source the pump cover.

The next and possibly happiest discovery came when cleaning all the grim from the rear section of the block. It appears my oil leak is limited to the oil seal on the gear shift linkage. Im not sure how to change this so some research and a session going over the Clymers guide will be in store. If anyone happens to know the part number for that seal it would be appreciated!

Other work today involved stripping the centre and side stands to gain access to the pro link. I had read that they can be a nightmare to remove, thankfully mine seems to be very well taken care of. It came apart with little issue. I also bought a socket to modify so I can remove the swing arm lock nut while I wait for the proper part to arrive.

Between the engine and the frame, I guess it's okay that I skipped the gym today!

Prolink looking dirty but good!

My next task involved modifying the fender that came with the Dual Disk setup. I traced the leading edge to try and replicate the shape/curve for the modified area. It came out decent, though the P/O did a terrible paint job. I can peel the paint with a fingernail.... zero prep work there... makes my life easier! No pictures of the fender, I'll snap a few once I start cleaning it up.

The last task of the day was sorting everything into what will be going back on the bike, and what will be wrapped and inventoried and boxed up. Turns out the keep pile fits into a single milk crate while the storage pile filled a tote, a box and still has more left over! I think I've saved easily 25-30kgs of weight from what will not be returning.

You can see the mockup of the underslung exhaust I've been working on. More to come on that once I have the metal to shape/cut/weld. Also, you may notice my super high quality engine stand... can't complain about free and I'll be the first to admit that I'd rather NOT lift the motor from the floor more often than required. Squats and leg day at the gym are sure paying off.

Everything behind the motor is going into storage once I make some space for it!

Next task is to work on the carbs. I'd love a set of Murray's Mikuni's but my budget this year doesn't allow. So a read over Larry's carb book and some bigger jets a cleaning and a rebuild of the factory Keihins will have to do!

Anyway, that's all for now. I have to source some parts but, I have plans with the better half tonight first. I'll be in trouble if I'm covered in grease/grime before dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by reclinedrelic View Post
    Have a look at this thread Swingarm Locknut Socket.
    Thanks Relic! I'll have to order that in!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Okie View Post
    Target fixation is a hard lesson, we share that experience.
    Keep up the good work, ride safely, post more photos as you go along with this project.
    Mostly bruised my ego, I had a really nice bruise on my side but aside from that it was a vivid reminder that "the bike goes where the eyes go." We live and we learn right?

This winter I fixed a squeekie Prolink but by the time I was done with it I had completely dis-assembled it and re-built it, plus paint.
    Now is a good time to do that since it is all bench work for you.
    The 2,4,10 rule: know what is happening 2 seconds, 4 seconds and 10 seconds down the road.

Current: '03 Kawasaki ZZR1200, '84 Kawasaki GPZ900R, '84 VF500F Interceptor, '83 GL650I, '81 CX500C, '82 GL500I project, '81 CX500C basket case, '79 CB750LTD, '85 CB700SC, '01 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, '72 Yamaha G7S

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

OCR
    The shifter seal can be changed without opening the case.
    tiexgrr likes this.
    Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
    Caroline Lodge # 681
    RAM Fidelity # 77

'79CX500C

http://www.cx500forum.com/mediawiki

we are all given sh*t in life, but some of us learn to turn it into fertilizer and grow from it, and some us try to fling it on others like monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by OCR View Post
    The shifter seal can be changed without opening the case.
    And that is even better news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '81 GL500

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Now is a good time to do that since it is all bench work for you.
    That's the plan. I think I may follow the guide in the wiki and add a few grease fittings while I'm at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '81 GL500

How are those drag bars working out for you? I'm struggling with every bar I've tried hits the gas tank. I'd prefer to not limit the stops. From stock bars I've gone to M bars then to clip-ons and now looking at offset clip-ons.
    '72 cb350 cafe racer

'82 GL500 brat project

You might find this thread interesting.

alternate to Prolink shock?

The 2,4,10 rule: know what is happening 2 seconds, 4 seconds and 10 seconds down the road.

Current: '03 Kawasaki ZZR1200, '84 Kawasaki GPZ900R, '84 VF500F Interceptor, '83 GL650I, '81 CX500C, '82 GL500I project, '81 CX500C basket case, '79 CB750LTD, '85 CB700SC, '01 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, '72 Yamaha G7S

Quote Originally Posted by pdixon81 View Post
    How are those drag bars working out for you? I'm struggling with every bar I've tried hits the gas tank. I'd prefer to not limit the stops. From stock bars I've gone to M bars then to clip-ons and now looking at offset clip-ons.
    The Drag bars aren't bad, I had a set of Daytona style bars initially but I bent them when I had that brief meeting with the ditch.

As far as steering goes, they do hit my tank... I can't turn lock to lock. This is more a slow speed problem than anything. I've looked into clipons also but I may just continue with the drag bar. I find its a nice riding position and doesn't strain my wrists too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    You might find this thread interesting.

alternate to Prolink shock?

Thanks Thumper, I've bookmarked your link for when I get round to rebushing the prolink/swing arm.

My air shock seems to be in good shape but I hate the ride it offers so I'll be swapping it out. I've actually been looking at the rear shock for an R1. The length/travel are damn close and don't require much if any modification to fit. I've explored the option of the xv650 also for comparison though.

I totally forgot about this but it's worth a shot. If anyone has a parts bike I'm searching for the inspection cap for the final drive part #12361-371-980 001 if you happen to have the parts guide it's listed as part "#1 - Cap, Valve Adj" on the rear end. If you have one that you're able to part ways with I will happily pay for the part and shipping!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links