Inheritance, a GL500 build. - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Inheritance, a GL500 build.

Quote Originally Posted by tiexgrr View Post
    Thats the plan! Then getting some miles in before GBR 2017.
    See you then(s)!
    1978 CX500
    1968 VW micro bus

Quote Originally Posted by Adoom View Post
    See you then(s)!
    If April 1st doesn't work out I will at the very least be doing GBR. I may need to carry a packet of pixiedust and a pocket full of wishes to avoid breakdowns but I'm going to try and be there!
    OCR likes this.
    '81 GL500

So, the waiting game begins. I am at a standstill until the parts I need arrive. I've been doing a lot of research and trying to figure out a few of the smaller details for the bike. I can't decided if I'd rather stick with my dragbars, run a set of clubmans or cave and move to clipons.

The biggest and most exciting thing for me coming up will be building the seat pan and putting together the seat. I'd really like to run something similar to this if I can... I think a nice dark brown would go well with my bike. What do you all think?

Name:  cb-cafe-racer-7.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  323.5 KB

On another note, the disks on my dual set up on my bike needs to be addressed. I've read a bit about rebuilding the callipers but given their improtance I'm hesitant to do so. I rebuilt the master for my single disk setup myself but that doesn't seem as intensive as the cals.... any insight there would be GREATLY appreciated.
    nolimitz and OCR like this.
    '81 GL500

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Random update with very little progress.

Well today was another uneventful day for the GL500. My parts order is in and I'm waiting (impatiently) for things to start arriving, or for it to be warm enough to lay some paint on some parts. I ended up spending some time working on the underslung exhaust I've been mocking up. I'm not a huge fan of the way most exhausts look on these bikes and cannot find one that I like reasonably priced.

The solution then is to build my own! Basically I will have a 2-into-1 box with a single exhaust exit out the left side of the bike. This will live in place of the original H-Box, and HOPEFULLY allow some back pressure to remain. I fully expect to be rejetting the carbs either way.

Here is the original concept on the bike vs the (much) smaller final concept

The original was WAY too large. I basically made the initial concept on a whim without taking size into consideration. As you can see version 2.0 is much smaller and will/should fit comfortably in place of the H-Box while allowing me to retain the centre stand.

I've been watching Ewan McGregors "Long way round" while I work away on this. It's a neat show, I'd definitely recommend it.

In other news, the garage where I store/work on the bike is getting a bit crowded! Two 'new' bikes arrived today for two of my friends. One is a mid 70's CB360T that a friend (the garage owner) rescued. His first bike was a nearly identical model. It's a bit of a basket case and hasn't run in the better part of a decade but I don't think it will be an issue.

Here is a potatophone picture of it before being loaded up and brought home.

the other is a '79 CM400A Hondamatic. I've heard of these but had never seen one in person. It's in OK shape and looks like it will be an interesting machine, though not my preference.

You can see the CM400A in the back and the CB360 up front. Behind those is my GL500..... Not seen in the picture is another friends Yamaha XS400 that's slowly becoming a street tracker/caferacer/whateverhefancies

'81 GL500

Still waiting!

Have I ever mentioned that I may be SLIGHTLY impatient? Well, I have now..... Parts are trickling in though.

After a long delay at customs the seals for the motor arrived. I've since installed them and reassembled most of the motor. Still to do is repairing/cleaning up the damage to the waterpump cover... It looks worse than it is I think.... or rather I hope. My wheel bearings came in also. They seem to be fine but I figure if I'm pulling the wheels I may as well change them

Other parts arriving are the bar end mirrors. They're not exactly as pictured on the site but they'll work. With these came my exhaust wrap, fan wiring and relay as well as a few other small odds and ends

Next I spent some time completing the templates for my exhaust. I provided them to the shop I have making it but given the small scale I've been set aside until they're a bit slower. I can't weld so I'll have to wait!

In other news I've been spending some time with a media blaster. It's surprisingly soothing who knew?

This weekend I will be painting these parts and hopefully with any luck my rear hoop will be in. I won't be making my April 1st deadline at this point but I'd really like to be on the road by the end of April at the latest!

Thats all for now.
    OCR likes this.
    '81 GL500

More parts have arrived! My frame hoop landed in BC on friday and should arrive here in Ontario this week! Woo! Can't wait!

I also picked up a set of Comstars for ridiculously cheap. 19in Front 18 Rear. Older Shinkos with sticky rubber. The front still has the paint lines on it from new.

Starting to get really excited about this build. Final exams for School are on April 9th, then I'm free for the summer. I cannot wait
    '81 GL500

So now that school is out (exams are this weekend) I FINALLY had some time to get some work in on the GL

Sunday was beautiful and sunny. Temp was around 15*c so I laid some paint on the sandblasted parts. Everything was painted with several coats of an etching primer designed for metal/aluminum then covered with several more coats of Satin Black

The crash bars came out really nicely. They'll be a great contrast between the engine and the bike!

Next up was rebuilding the front Comstar. The previous owner of them had partially disassembled the front wheel. I pulled out the remaining hub bolts, and replaced them with new bolts and Nylock nuts. Unfortunately I will have to run a single disc brake setup with this wheel as there is no way to mount a disc to the otherside of the wheel with out modification.

Next up was frame modification! This took more time than anticipated. The GL frame is double walled and needed some clearance work for the slugs to slide in

Once done the new rear hoop was test fit. It's a bit long so we've since cut an additional 1.5 inches from it. The overall length of the frame/seatpan should be 27 inches from the centre of the rear tank mount, I'll likely need to chop another 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to achieve the desired length but its easier to remove material than add it again. The seat is a bit longer than most would like, but is due to my requirement to still handle a pillion once and awhile, plus with such a wide bike I find they look odd if cut too short.

We stopped there as it was getting late and both myself and friend who was helping had to work in the morning! Welding in the hoop, cleaning/painting the frame and electrical work are next on the agenda.

More to come soon!
    OCR likes this.
    '81 GL500

Got the rear hoop trimmed to the desired length and then tac welded for a mockup. I also set the bike roughly around ride height and put the rear 18inch comstar in for demo purposes. I think it's going to look great!

And a quick and crappy paint edit of what it could look like with the seat.

Last edited by tiexgrr; 04-05-2017 at 09:45 AM. Reason: m
    '81 GL500

I feel the need to celebrate. I just finished the last of my Exams and have officially finished my Optical Sciences Diploma! Woo! Freedom for the summer, and one step closer to my career!

That means time to get back to work on the bike!
    OCR, ramprat06 and nolimitz like this.
    '81 GL500

G-Loria's Story including Part III > I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands. Part III included at the end of the link.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

TAPATALK USERS--
    Please go into the Tapatalk app's settings and turn off the "auto signature" feature. Thank You.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links