Inheritance, a GL500 build. - Page 4
Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Inheritance, a GL500 build.

Progress!

Well ladies and gents, I've made progress!

Last weekend I finally had a chance to help get the rear hoop finalized and welded in. My seat will work out to 26.5inches from tank to tail. Exactly where I wanted it to be, and plenty of room for a passenger.

Next up was working away on the wiring. Thankfully, my harness is in excellent shape and really only required a few minor fixes here and there. I must say however, wiring diagrams are a work of art.... the longer you stare at them the less you understand!

I also managed to clean up the surface rust on the rear swing arm. I laid some rust neutralizing primer and a few coats of black to finish that off. After that I finalized the wiring on the front of the bike. I got my headlight and signals installed and working (for now at least) before moving on to the biggest task so far.

The motor is back in the bike! excuse the bags covering the heads.... the valve covers are out being polished and I'd rather not fill the heads with metal and dirt!

I had to remove the rear bolts and swing the motor forward as I forgot to put the CV boot in place before installation.... whoops!..... I also forgot to put the starter in but it all worked out!

Next steps will involve finding new bolts for a few places.... things seem to have grown legs over the winter. After that I'll reinstall the front brake, and hopefully send the bike out to have the exhaust completed!

More to come soon. I want to be back on the road with this monster!
    OCR likes this.
    '81 GL500

While this may be a bit late for you, or in case you didn't know, there are colored LAYERED wiring diagrams in the WIKI, for the express purpose of reducing the fatigue of the nature of said diagrams.
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

G-Loria's Story I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Quote Originally Posted by ramprat06 View Post
    While this may be a bit late for you, or in case you didn't know, there are colored LAYERED wiring diagrams in the WIKI, for the express purpose of reducing the fatigue of the nature of said diagrams.
    I'll keep that in mind for the back of the bike. The Clymer manual is good, especially the full colour version (I have both b/w and colour) but I'll check that out! Thanks!
    '81 GL500

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links