Inheritance, a GL500 build.
Close

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Inheritance, a GL500 build.

Inheritance, a GL500 build.

Hey Everyone,

I figured it was about time I start documenting the Journey I've continued with my bike. I've lurked for awhile, but I think I have something to share with the forum.

I'll start at the beginning. CX500/GL500's have been in my life for as long as I can remember. Growing up we didn't have much. I had a single Dad who busted his ass to provide from myself and my older sister. He made the best out of what he had, and gave up so much so that we could have a reasonable life. This is something I've grown to appreciate, and something I strive to be myself.

The one thing my Dad held onto as an outlet was Motorcycles. I can remember going with him to pick up the bike that started it all for me. It was a beat up old CX500. It didn't run, the seat was ripped, it needed a LOT of TLC, but he loved it. I spent a lot of time by his side as he tore the bike down and put it back together. As 5/6 year old I was amazed by the bike and with the skill it took to rebuild this old forgotten machine. I remember riding with him on a regular basis and grew to love the feeling of being on two wheels, it was something I dreamed about my entire adolescent life and has continued on into my adulthood.

He had that old CX for years, but eventually, it was set aside and eventually sold to an uncle and then on to another guy who unfortunately wrote it off. The CX500's replacement came into the picture when I was 10 or 11, the result of my a quick stop at a yardsale my stepmom wanted to see. My Dad found a beautiful near mint, low mileage (sub 10k km) 1981 GL500 that he picked up for a song. He babied this bike, washing it constantly and riding it only on the best of days. I can remember the terror I felt when I knocked it over in the garage. I honestly though he would kill be, but he shrugged it off and showed me how to fix what was broken.

Over the years he decided that the GL wasn't what he wanted and eventually replaced it with a Goldwing. He was into the motorcycle touring mindset and didn't want to ruin the old 500, but didn't want to sell it either. He rode the 500 less and less until it eventually found itself parked. At the time, I was about 20/21, and not really on the best terms with him. The bike sat, and sat, and sat. Covered in dust and neglect until my parents and younger sister moved houses. Both the Goldwing and the Silverwing were loaded onto a truck and brought to their new home, where they would both sit.

For my 26th birthday I decided I wanted to finally jump on my dream and get my motorcycle license, something I had put off since I was 16. I took the training course and scoured the internet for a suitable bike, but always came back to the 'what if' of the GL500 resting peacefully in the shed. I eventually started probing asking what sort of work it needed, when he had last ridden it/had it running before finally convincing him to part ways with it. My Dad was sad to part ways with the bike, but extremely happy that it would stay in the family. He even tried to make me promise I wouldn't modify the bike.... that was the initial plan.

Anyway, long story short. I couldn't wait to pick up the bike and start riding it. It needed some work and basic maintenance and TLC. It also needed new tires.... a fact I have learned NOT to neglect. I rode the bike the way I got it for the summer. We had an experience with a ditch.... target fixation and shitty tires for the win.....

A few pics of my summer adventures.

*Full disclosure, I am not as proficient with English as I should be...

As the season came to a close, the bike was finally put away. She was grumpy, especially in the cold. The choke seemed to be nonfunctional, and coldstarts often ended up running on the left cylinder only until warm when the right would finally if reluctantly kick in.

The initial plan was simply to take the bike apart and clean it up, replace what was worn and go from there. As I'm sure many of you know, the itch to modify is not satisfied by a simple clean, repair, and replace plan. I happened across a dual disk setup online for a great price and jumped on it. Let the modifications begin!

With the new front end came the removal of, well..... everything.

Off with the old forks,

On with the new.

This obviously meant that the oil leaks needed to be addressed,

So out with the Motor.

Which meant a strip down and a need for a (soon to come) Electric fan conversion

That meant the bike was pretty naked. What do we do with a naked GL500? Well, we do what we SWORE to our Dad we wouldn't

And then we find ourselves with a completely stripped frame in need of a hoop, new seat, rearsets, lights, exhaust, etc.... etc..... etc.....

And that is how she sits. In as many pieces as I can count with a growing parts list. The thought of what is to come is somewhat daunting, but I'm pretty methodical in the things I do. Every part has been tracked and accounted for. Those that will return are set aside waiting, while those that will not have been packed away carefully.

The ultimate goal is to retain the ability to have a pillion while also having a unique bike that is an amalgamation of a Brat/Cafe/Bobber. I'm not following a style so much as a vision.

Future projects will entail welding in a hoop, and repainting the frame and rear swing arm (if I can ever find the tool to remove the locknut!) New lights front and rear. A custom seat and exhaust. Reseal the motor. Rebuild the carbs and get it all back together.

The goal is to have it on the road before April 1st..... but I'm probably being optimistic! Stay tuned for more to come!
    purplecx500 likes this.

keep up the good work. Hope to see you on the road this spring/ summer.
    Mike

Click the link to go to the Wiki

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

1981 GL500 (Jacob)
    1982 GL500I (Phil)
    1981 GL500 (Blackie) parts bike
    1983 GL650I (Big Red) parts bike
    198? CX500C (Adam) only a few parts left
    London, Ontario, Canada

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to what will become a second family right here. As you have already poked around here a while, you should know by now that there is a vast resource among the pages here, as well as those gatherings that occur almost year round.
    The bike looks pretty decent. If you have questions, many answers can be found in the WIKI linked below.
    **Edit, I see I was typing while your second post went up. You are well on your way, it seems.**

Joel in the Couve
    Last edited by ramprat06; 02-16-2017 at 08:46 PM.
    purplecx500 likes this.
    G-Loria's Story including Part III > I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands. Part III included at the end of the link.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

TAPATALK USERS--
    Please go into the Tapatalk app's settings and turn off the "auto signature" feature. Thank You.

London On. eh, that's not toooo far from me (Pickering).

I've wanted to do the dual disc conversion to mine.

Following this thread closely.

April 1st completion....are you planning on going to Descendants Brewhouse?
    1978 CX500
    1968 VW micro bus

Quote Originally Posted by Adoom View Post
    London On. eh, that's not toooo far from me (Pickering).

I've wanted to do the dual disc conversion to mine.

Following this thread closely.

April 1st completion....are you planning on going to Descendants Brewhouse?
    Thats the plan! Then getting some miles in before GBR 2017.

Are you planning on doing any of the Wingit rides from Hully Gully?
    Mike

1981 GL500 (Jacob)
    1982 GL500I (Phil)
    London, Ontario, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by reclinedrelic View Post
    Are you planning on doing any of the Wingit rides from Hully Gully?
    I've never really looked into anything they offer, I haven't had fond experiences at their location so i tend to avoid it....

That said, I may make an effort to go to one this season. I spend 90% of my time riding alone, and there really isn't a better way to make friends than a group ride.

On another note.... Does anyone happen to know where I can locate the tool to remove the lock nut on the swingarm or have an alternative that works? The Clymer guide only has the info for a CX500 which seems to have a different set up for the swing arm bolts than the prolink on the GL.

Have a look at this thread Swingarm Locknut Socket.
    Mike

1981 GL500 (Jacob)
    1982 GL500I (Phil)
    London, Ontario, Canada

Target fixation is a hard lesson, we share that experience. I looked at a rock outcropping
    along the road and ended getting well acquainted with it, cuts and bruises on me, the bike was not injured.
    Keep up the good work, ride safely, post more photos as you go along with this project.
    1979 CX500C (Marshall's bike)

1981 Yamaha XS650 (New Adventure)

1979 Honda CB400T II (Rescued Bike)

1972 Suzuki RV90(for the grandkids)Ole Smokey

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links