One Step closer...
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By decolvin

Thread: One Step closer...

One Step closer...

Just finished refurbishing & wiring my stereo for my GL. Fairing being painted. Can't wait to install.
    Dan
    Phil in Vermont likes this.
    The name is Dan ... please use it freely.

1982 GL500I

1981 CX500C

Chesapeake, VA

Duct tape is like the Force ... it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

I didn't look, what type did you put in?
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 62
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

Gloria's Story including PartII> I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands. Part III included at the end of the link.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Sorry, I couldn't insert photos at work. Here's a shot

1982 GL500I

1981 CX500C

Chesapeake, VA

Duct tape is like the Force ... it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Nice, you might need the front dual wheel option .I want to see it on the bike when you mount it. This is what I did a Sony Marine in dash w/remote, a waterproof cover and four speakers.http://.
    1982 Honda GL500 I SilverWing Interstate " Its not the destination but the journey and Ride Safe "

I got fed up with car stereos either not working right due to the vibration (forget listening to CDs) or needing an always live wire for memory (= parasitic draw) or just not pulling in stations very well because they are designed for an antenna mounted on a big steel reflector (=car body) so after experimenting with cheap bike stereos meant to mount on the handlebars (they picked up more stations more reliably with a foot and a half of plain wire for the antenna and didn't have a memory but the one on the GoldWing was definitely not waterproof) wire I ended up with this New stereo in Eccles' fairing The radio is pretty good but I almost always listen to stuff on flash drives instead.

BTW: I have what looks like the same weatherproof cover as Steve and in 2 years of everyday fall-winter-spring use I have never seen a drop of water or a speck of dust inside it.
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)
    Eccles: The Never Ending Build
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI
    FORUM SETTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE

This housing was mounted in the fairing before with an AM/FM Cassette./ you're right Bob...the cassette was useless because you had to stop to change it and it eventually stopped working due to ( I think) vibration. The radio always worked great with the internal wire antenna that came with the housing, so I'm re-using that. The current unit is similar to the one you describe with no removable media other than an SD card or flash drive. I was concerned about the memory draw. I don't know how much of a problem that will be. Thinking of installing a push-on/push off switch in that line in case it becomes a problem. I also think I'll get one of those covers, as well.
    Dan

1982 GL500I

1981 CX500C

Chesapeake, VA

Cassettes worked OK for me except that after a year or 2 dirt got into them and eventually wore parts out. They might have lasted longer if I had the weatherproof cover instead of the vinyl one...

The problem with changing cassettes while driving a bike (aside from the distraction) is that you need to have somewhere to put the ones that aren't in the player. When I had my first GoldWing I found a cassette player only (no radio) and mounted in the glove box (in the top of the "shelter" that sits where most bikes' gas tanks are). It was a pretty sheltered location even with the cover open (as long as I wasn't going very fast) and if I was very careful I could change the tape while driving but I only did that a few times because if I had to slow down that much it was safer & easier to pull over and stop. Flash drives are the same but you can put something like 7 or 8 hours on a 1GB so it isn't necessary as often.

The memory line shouldn't draw a lot of current. Certainly not enough to cause problems if you drive it every day but if it is parked for a few weeks it could drain the battery...

The problem with the last couple of car stereos I had with memory lines was that sometimes when I started the engine the battery voltage went below 10V and they forgot everything. Before I installed the current one I tested it by tuning it to a station and unplugging the power overnight and when I plugged it back in it was still tuned (it remembers where it was in what I'm listening to on flash memory too).

I have a toggle switch on the fairing so I can kill it quickly & easily without opening the cover and working controls that weren't designed for gloves (let alone mitts). I also have a stereo L-pad between the stereo and the speakers, mounted where I can reach it easily to adjust the volume without opening the cover.
    There is a remote for the stereo but I never use it because 1) it isn't designed for use with gloves, 2) it would be too much of a distraction to use while driving and 3) I would be charged with Driving While Distracted if a cop saw me attempting to use it (& rightly so).
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

A bit of info on the "L pad" you mentioned, please.
    Dan

1982 GL500I

1981 CX500C

Chesapeake, VA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L_pad#Speaker_L_pad

Electronically a variable L-pad looks like this. The impedances (usually simple resistances) are set up so that with a speaker of appropriate impedance connected to it the impedance seen by the amplifier (which would be connected at the + and - terminals) would be the same no matter where you turn the knob but the level sent to the speaker can be varied. When I worked in the speaker industry we used to put them in speakers to control the tweeter & midrange on upper low end speakers because people expected them. (The really good speakers did not have them because the people who bought them knew better.)

Shavano Music Online - Using L-Pads

Stereo L-Pads consist of 2 of those ganged so that a single knob controls both. A supplier sent us a couple of samples but double ganged ones weren't suitable because if you were varying the levels of both midrange & tweeter separate knobs looked more "impressive" so instead of throwing them out I took them home. Fast forward a couple of decades and when I decided to add a volume control that I could work with mitts on I finally found a use for them.

It would be difficult to take a pic of the one in the fairing. This is the insides of my GoldWing's instrument panel/speaker box/wiring box. The L-pad is the orange & gold object near the middle with the terminals on the right (the blue object next to it is the switch that turns the stereo off.
    Name:  Danmoto 180 Mr.H front panel inside.JPG
Views: 39
Size:  103.6 KB

This is what it looks like from the outside
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

Sponsored Links