CX500 Turbo Build Thread
Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hey everyone, I just received the first of the parts in my turbo CX project. I thought I would start making my build thread now and list the modifications that the bike will receive. For now I am starting off with the front cowl removal and and fitting the neccesary front end parts to keep it street legal.

Turn signals will be replaced with small low profile units mounted on the headlight ears. The headlight will be a 5&3/4" round type with a chrome bucket and an H4 55/65w automotive bulb, I may add yellow light film to the headlight lens for added cafe style. The tachometer, speedo, and temperature guage are being replaced by the Trailtech Vapour computer kit with otional lighting array.

With all this completed, I will remove the long intake tract, and build a short intake pipe with a cone filter at the front of the bike, I will know weather I will have the pipe out the side or underneath the radiator once everything is apart in front of me, but one of these should work fine. After all, we don't want that turbo sucking up hot air from behind the rad.

After this is done, I will begin modding the rear of the bike. My plans for ther ear are to remove the plastic tail section and get a proper cafe seat made from my spare seat. I'm not sure if I will have to cut the frame to achieve the apropriate look, but if I do, I will keep the piece i cut off so I can weld it back on at a later date if I choose. I will mount all the lighting to the frame under the seat and it should all integrate nicely with my dual red tail light/plate holder and matching signals to the front units.

Once the rear is to my liking, I will move on to the gas tank, I'm hoping a standard cx500 tank will fit on my frame, the stock unit will look strange without the fairing to be sure. If it will fit, I will install the stock CXT petcock into the tank and voila!

After the tank is taken care of, time for performance mods. I'll be installing a bov to the resonance chamber off of the surge tank. Next, a custom downpipe with a slightly larger diameter than stock to accomodate a baffle at the end of a straight pipe exhaust. this will dump just behind the right side rearset. The exhaust should flow better than stock and sound a bit more agressive without being ridiculous. I will also by playing with the idea of an intercooler, but this will probably come last as it will requirte fine tuning and some dyno runs with a wideband in the tailpipe.

Once this is completed, i'll move onto suspension, I would like to update the forks with something newer, and possibly inverted. I have access to a CNC machine, so i can build my own aluminum triple trees and use almost any fork I want. I may keep the stock units and upgrade the springs and oil as well as rebuild them completely before I try building a whole new front end. The rear shock will just be replaced with a more modern unit, this should be fairly simple to achieve.

**** UPDATE ****

Got into the bike tonight, pulled off all the stuff I wanted to and modified heat sheilds to look a bit nicer. Also added some gold accents to the bike in an effort to add some colour. Pictures say more than I can so here she is.

Before the teardown:

About 2 hours in I decided to do some painting, added gold to the hotside heat sheild and the honda engine logo.

Got the headlight mounted today and shortened all the harnesses, looks MUCH cleaner! when I cleaned up the harness I found that the stator plug was melted pretty bad, so I soldered the wires together directly, this should solve the heat issues from the small connectors. Removed the great big rear turn signals also. Just need to install the signals and computer and the front end is done!

1982 CX500TC Cafe project in progress

I got the computer all hooked up, speedo, temp, RPM, turn signals, Oil pressure, and neutral light are in working order. Installed a boost guage and wired it as well (peak boost reads 19psi). Found some turbo badges off an old Chrysler LeBaron GT. I think they look pretty good on the bike.

I did the exhaust today, turned out great!

A thing of beauty, Heads completely rebuilt, decked 0.030, new valves, guides, seals, and seat re-grinding. no more water leaking, bike runs much happier with a proper valve seal.

the valves only got 20% seal before the rebuild.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

**Place holder**

**Place holder**

Don't forget the ECU rides under the cowling behind the seat. There's very little other space to put it unless you're modding the seat.

1982 CX500TC- JH2PC0300CM000120
    You can lead the horticulture but you can't make her think.

For sure, i'll be relocating the ecu to where the airbox is i think. failing that, i'll build a compartment into the bubble on the back of the seat for the ecu.

Quote Originally Posted by Azriel_Strife View Post
    For sure, i'll be relocating the ecu to where the airbox is i think. failing that, i'll build a compartment into the bubble on the back of the seat for the ecu.

There's no room for the ECU anywhere on the bike other than in the tail. When you start digging into things you'll see.

The ECU is around 6" wide x 6.5" long (not including the harness when connected) x 1.75" thick.

If you build the seat for one-up riding, it could fit in a cowl there.

If you look at my avatar, or my thread in the customization section where the photos are bigger, it would normally mount on the "extension" hanging out below the seat.

It turns out I'm going to be doing something similar to what you're doing, but I'm doing the ECU / Microsquirt swap at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by abecedarian View Post
    There's no room for the ECU anywhere on the bike other than in the tail. When you start digging into things you'll see.

The ECU is around 6" wide x 6.5" long (not including the harness when connected) x 1.75" thick.

If you build the seat for one-up riding, it could fit in a cowl there.

If you look at my avatar, or my thread in the customization section where the photos are bigger, it would normally mount on the "extension" hanging out below the seat.

It turns out I'm going to be doing something similar to what you're doing, but I'm doing the ECU / Microsquirt swap at the same time.
    I guess the ecu will sit up in the seat then. what is your seat off of? I like the look of it, but i would be going with a shorter back end for 1up riding only. I also need to know what tanks will fit on the 500T.

Quote Originally Posted by Azriel_Strife View Post
    I guess the ecu will sit up in the seat then. what is your seat off of? I like the look of it, but i would be going with a shorter back end for 1up riding only. I also need to know what tanks will fit on the 500T.

Mine's a stock 500T seat, except for being re-padded and shaped, and trimming some of the front off where it wraps around the tank 'cause the tabs on the tank were broken.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links