Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Won´t pass 5000K

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  RIQUE 
#1 ·
I finally got to test ride my bike after changing all copper gaskets and putting back the turbo. I removed the reed valve and put in the K&N and little Uni filter.
From the Turbo gauge I now see more lines appear as I accelerate. On a flat street I can pull hard on 1st up to 5000RPM it then starts to hesitate, I change gear to 2nd and get up to 4000 RPM before it starts to hesitate. Up hill on second I can hit 4000 RPM and if I modulate the throttle up n down I can feel the turbo kick on and off. If I hold the throttle at 5000K and keep it there I get an fuel alarm on the dash but once I turn the motor on and off it goes away. What is strange is that
I can rev bike at idle to Redline and hold it there with out any problem.

Any ideas as what to I can do? I recall reading about the extra hole on the exhust mufflers. I have new spark plugs and engine idles like a kitten.

Thanks Riq

#2 ·
Hello,

Search the forum for "stuck wastegate" Read and enjoy. could be sensor or wastgate issues. It is discuss quite thoroughly in the search results you receive. I have a similar issue with my Cx650T so I will be doing the same thing. LOL

#4 ·
Check your hoses and make sure they are hooked up to the correct P sensor and port off the manifold.
P1 comes off near the air filter; P2 and Pb come off the throttle body, if I remember correctly.

#5 ·
I just applied pressure to the waste gate actuator 20psi and its opening and closing. I wonder what would cause the
turbo pressure source to the waste gate actuator to not supply the required 20 psi?...thus having the waste gate stuck
closed?

#6 ·
How do you even know the waste-gate is stuck? If the red boost bars lit up, the TURBO word flashed and the bike took off like a raped ape, then you'd have a stuck waste-gate. It would also show up as an error code if you checked the side of the ECU before turning off the bike.
If the bike simply pukes @ 5K rpm then it could be dozens of other issues...once again narrowed down by the fault code.

#7 · (Edited)
It's a CX500TC, right?

So...
... an issue with the ignition would flash "TURBO" on the dash.
... an issue with the fuel system would flash "FUEL SYSTEM" on the dash, and light LED"s on the ECU under the cowl.

And if you're not getting any 'error' conditions, and the bike is falling flat on its face around 4k-5k, check your hoses.

#8 · (Edited)
An issue with over-boost (not ignition) would flash TURBO and show the end red lights. It would also turn on the FUEL SYSTEM light and set a code on the ECU. The bike would also be in limp home mode until it was turned off and restarted.

Anytime the FUEL SYSTEM light turns on, there is an error code set. I just can't wrap my mind around why so many people refuse to check it...especially when it's a reoccurring problem that you can replicate anytime you want.

From his original description, I highly doubt this has anything to do with a stuck waste-gate.

#9 ·
It's a 500TC so over-boost may or may not light up things since the ignition is separate from the ECU.

Having said that, over-boost should trip both ignition "TURBO" indicator, and "FUEL SYSTEM" indicator, but since only "FUEL SYSTEM" was tripped, that suggests something is amiss with the ECU, P2 or wiring. And since it rev's freely unloaded but won't rev up under load, i.e. when under boost, checking the hoses to the P2 sensor as well as the orifices within the throttle body for any occlusion, as well as P2 operation is recommended.

Knowing what those LED's light up would go a LONG way towards fixing this.

#11 ·
I will take her for a ride and trip the Fuel System again and check the ECU Leds. During rebuild I cleaned all the orifices and jets out. P2 is not new but a good used sensor. Only thing I did not do is blow the P2 hose to see if is plugged but I doubt it. Will get back with new data ASAP.

#12 · (Edited)
Hey Fellas, I am so freakin happy. I was getting ready to take my bike for a ride so that I could trigger the fuel system alarm to see what codes I got. Just before I took the side panels of to give the P2 hose a blow and see if it was not plugged. To my surprise the hose was off the sensor! So I put it back in and take her for a ride. 4000 RPM and boom!
Turbo lights are on and I'm a flyin with the biggest grin on my face. Houston WE HAVE TURBO! no alarms just a small oil leak from the hose to the turbo that will be taken care off tomorrow. Thanks to all for the help. Looks like I'm close to finishing this long time project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.