CX500TC stumbles bucks then dies, will not stay running, literally tried everything. - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy_d View Post
    Okay, so let's look at the symptoms again.
    This bike has, if I recall correctly, multiple fuel filters. Replace or clean all of them.
    After fuel, you are down to electrical.
    What are things that can fail when they get warm or hot?
    Now cross reference those things against issues that throw codes, eliminate those items.
    Whatever is left is a good starting point.
    Pete changed the fuel filter with aftermarket suitable sub. I took the petcock off and looked at the screen no debris. Again throwing no codes even when failing.

Heat related would be coils or stator, but when failing as stated above voltage stays above 14 volts, nearer to 15 v.
    Last edited by Nunzio; 07-09-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Update, still trouble shooting this thing. Since last post.
    1. Checked and changed Injector with newly rebuilt one, put it on the LH side first no change, swapped to RH side no change.
    2. Replaced the speed sensors with new ones, no help
    3. Replaced throttle position sensor from 500 mile Turbo, no help.
    4. Changed the rectifier with new, no help.
    5. Put in new OEM plugs with new wires, no help.
    6. Swapped coils with different set OEM, also tried some Dyna coils, no help.
    7. Tested the PING sensor per Page 20-4 and 20-5 in the manual, works as described. No Help.
    8. Tested the temp sensor and is in spec.

One thing that is strange, it will surge and sputter not moving, but when I put my hand over the intake it will recover and then rev up again. Any ideas?

I'm very impressed what you did so far and don't want to give up. That's the spirit!!
    Most things you already sorted out. You mentioned when you put your hand over the intake the revs go up again. This means the engine gets to much air so lean fuel mixture.
    Did you check:
    1) The pressure regulator?
    2) All three fuel filters? (in tank, before the pump and in the pump)
    3) The wire connections to the pump.
    4) Are the two fuel hoses correct on the fuel tap. If they are switched the flow is reversed and can produce air bubbles.
    5) Pb-sensor
    You checked the Pb-sensor but did you do a static test or a dynamic test? My experience is when you do a static test on the Pb-sensor the readings seems to be in spec but in dynamic test they could be false. This sensor works below the 3000 revs. If out of spec it gives false information to the ECU and it has effect on the fuel delivery.

Good luck

P.S. Did you already do the Pb-sensor switch with the Suzuki sensor? If not then I suggest do to this as soon as possible. See this Pb-sensor replacement
    Last edited by dutchturbo; 11-14-2016 at 03:12 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

1) The pressure regulator? Had fuel pressure gauge inline while running bike and stumble occurs, fuel pressure is at or above spec.Its a new BOSH pump for a CIVIC
    2) All three fuel filters? (in tank, before the pump and in the pump) RE: Yes fuel strainer in tank is clean, fuel filter inline is good, also where is 3rd filter
    3) The wire connections to the pump.RE: Yes good
    4) Are the two fuel hoses correct on the fuel tap. If they are switched the flow is reversed and can produce air bubbles. RE: Yes the routing is correct
    5) Pb-sensor RE: Swapped with 3 known good stock ones.
    You checked the Pb-sensor but did you do a static test or a dynamic test? My experience is when you do a static test on the Pb-sensor the readings seems to be in spec but in dynamic test they could be false. This sensor works below the 3000 revs. If out of spec it gives false information to the ECU and it has effect on the fuel delivery. RE: Also did the static and dynamic tests all in spec.

Good luck

P.S. Did you already do the Pb-sensor switch with the Suzuki sensor? If not then I suggest do to this as soon as possible. See this Pb-sensor replacementRE: I did the Suzuki PB sensor, no difference.
    Last edited by Nunzio; 11-14-2016 at 08:15 PM.

Talk about the symptoms again. Does it do it when the motor is cold, or after it warms up? Does it ever do it while it is idling initially, or is it only after you have started riding? It really sounds like a fueling issue, but you seemed to have ruled out most possibilities. The third fuel filter is in the fuel line where it goes into the fuel pump. Did you change the fuel pump after the symptoms started, or did it have the Civic pump on there before? How good is the rest of the fuel line system, if there is crap in the lines between the fuel pump and the rebuilt injectors, you could still have a problem. Was the tank cleaned and sealed, if there was ever a rust problem that rust would have eventually gone downhill. I have a bunch of low mileage bikes and other than not putting wear on the rings and bearing, there is no advantage and I think a bike that has been driven more than 500 miles per year might be preferred because it kept everything running smoothly. You have checked the wiring very well? A crapped our kill switch has plagued me before. Don't forget this is a 34 year old machine so every connection needs to be perfectly clean and probably treated with a touch of dielectric grease. This may not have been a problem in the past, but as these things age, new problems will pop up with wiring, connections, and parts. Make sure your ignition switch is in perfect shape too, ditto on also having a bad ignition switch kill my bike. Remember, the 1-year warranty ran out 33 years ago! Keep us posted on your progress.
    CX500C
    CX500T
    CX650E
    CX650T
    Hawk
    CB750 w/turbo
    RG500
    V-Max
    Kawasaki 750 Turbo
    Katana 1000
    Ducati 749R
    Screaming Eagle Road King
    CBR600F3
    Honda Metropolitan
    Ninja H2 1000
    & a dozen battery chargers

Does it do it when the motor is cold, or after it warms up? RE: Both
    Does it ever do it while it is idling initially, or is it only after you have started riding? RE: No idles fine, only above 6500 rpm, then again it really doesn't run great getting there, it's not smooth.
    Did you change the fuel pump after the symptoms started, or did it have the Civic pump on there before? RE: Changed the fuel pump when I first got the bike, as I would have to tap on the pump to get it to spool up, then it eventually failed. After I changed the pump it ran for 6 months perfect. When the issue cropped up I thought it was the fuel pump and changed it again.
    How good is the rest of the fuel line system, if there is crap in the lines between the fuel pump and the rebuilt injectors, you could still have a problem. Was the tank cleaned and sealed, if there was ever a rust problem that rust would have eventually gone downhill. RE: No this is a 11K bike the tank is clean as can be, nothing was in the strainer to the petcock. It's shinny metal in on the inside

Couple things u might want to look at.

1) I believe there are some jets. I think these r for air and are mounted in the air intake on or in the frame. Look this up in the manual and clean
    2) what about the reed valve?
    3) pressure leak somewhere in the intake. From the turbo to the throttle bodies? If there is a leak, and the computer is giving fuel in accordance with tha map programmed in the ecu, the air fuel mixture would be goofed up. Might explain behavior when u put you hand over intake. U migh try spraying potential leak areas with wd40. If you hit the leak, u will notice a change in engine operation

John
    Current Bikes: cx500t1, cx500t2, cx500t3=UK version, cx650t 1979 CBX zx750E1 (750 turbo#1), zx750E2(750turbo#2 -parts bike but planning to completely rebuild), zx750E1(750turbo#3 -high performance build, shooting for 150HP), 1973 H1-500, 1974 H1-500, 1974 H2-750, 2014 BMW K1600GTL-Exclusive, 1984 Honda Interceptor 1000:blob10:

Previous Bikes: CB500T, 1974 Kawasaki 900 z1, 1989 Yamaha Vmax, 2008 HD soft tail custom

1) I believe there are some jets. I think these r for air and are mounted in the air intake on or in the frame. Look this up in the manual and clean RE: These checked good, looked at them when the motor was out.
    2) what about the reed valve? RE: Took them out and blew in the box, sealed very good with the exception of the by pass. The reed are straight and tight.
    3) pressure leak somewhere in the intake. From the turbo to the throttle bodies? If there is a leak, and the computer is giving fuel in accordance with tha map programmed in the ecu, the air fuel mixture would be goofed up. Might explain behavior when u put you hand over intake. U migh try spraying potential leak areas with wd40. If you hit the leak, u will notice a change in engine operation RE: explored this using MAP gas from a handheld torch, old trick if the engine picks up then there is a leak. Hard to believe a leak would just all of a sudden pop up. I did replace the manifold seal and the seals to the intake runner and head. I did not disturb the rubber connections from the manifold ti the runners

Clogged gas cap?

Quote Originally Posted by timothy_d View Post
    Clogged gas cap?
    Hmm............that's something I did not check. I would think it would take a while for that to affect the running of the bike. It's worth a shot. RE:Checked the cap it vents fine, looks near new.
    Last edited by Nunzio; 11-16-2016 at 09:00 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links