Cracked Turbo and Exhuast End Caps
Close

Cracked Turbo and Exhuast End Caps

Hi Guys

I have a 1982 CX500 Turbo that I am restoring and just removed the Turbo unit. It is cracked and considering a repair by welding (not sure if this is possible) or purchased a second hand unit? Are their any out there or can anyone give me a pointer where I can look for one?

Also the end caps at the exhaust outlets are like finding chicken teeth, anyone know where I could locate a set?

Thanks

Clock
    Sydney Australia

You probably cannot get the turbo welded and have it function properly. The machining is extremely critical on these, so I doubt it can be done. You could inquire with a turbo rebuilder in your area to be sure. If you buy a replacement turbo it will more than likely be used and without a guarantee. In that case you will need to have it rebuilt with new seals, balanced, etc. This runs about $400 in my area. Be careful of buying an Isuzu or Maserati turbo as none of the mounts will match up. For the 500 I am pretty sure that is a RHB VG1. Since they sold a lot of 500's down under, you should be able to find a rebuildable unit. They are about $100 to $200 here in the US.

End caps for the exhaust will be rare, but they exist also. I will check my stash of mufflers and see if I have any.
    CX500C
    CX500T
    CX650E
    CX650T
    Hawk
    CB750 w/turbo
    RG500
    V-Max
    Kawasaki 750 Turbo
    Katana 1000
    Ducati 749R
    Screaming Eagle Road King
    CBR600F3
    Honda Metropolitan
    Ninja H2 1000
    & a dozen battery chargers

I may have extra end caps...

PK

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

CX Turbo Unit

Quote Originally Posted by edinlr View Post
    You probably cannot get the turbo welded and have it function properly. The machining is extremely critical on these, so I doubt it can be done. You could inquire with a turbo rebuilder in your area to be sure. If you buy a replacement turbo it will more than likely be used and without a guarantee. In that case you will need to have it rebuilt with new seals, balanced, etc. This runs about $400 in my area. Be careful of buying an Isuzu or Maserati turbo as none of the mounts will match up. For the 500 I am pretty sure that is a RHB VG1. Since they sold a lot of 500's down under, you should be able to find a rebuildable unit. They are about $100 to $200 here in the US.

End caps for the exhaust will be rare, but they exist also. I will check my stash of mufflers and see if I have any.
    Thank you and apologise for my late reply but away with limited internet access. I established today that the Turbo Unit is stuffed and would need to be replaced. I purchase a rebuilt / service kit which I will now use on the replacement unit. Would you know where I could look or contact in the US for a used Unit. My son lives in New Jersey and can have it posted to him

If you have any end caps that would be marvellous

Thank you

Clock

Did you find any PK?

Quote Originally Posted by CXTURBOBOOST View Post
    I may have extra end caps...

PK
    Did you find any PK?

Best Regards

Clock

Sponsored Links