Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Project Turbo Salt Racer - 2017

Project Turbo Salt Racer - 2017

Name:  IMG_4199 (1).JPG
Views: 406
Size:  35.5 KBName:  IMG_4198 (1).JPG
Views: 407
Size:  52.5 KB
    Since I caught crap for having such a long thread on my earlier tales, I decided to start a new thread about my turbo build.

Early on I did get a few people upset because I was ruining a classic bike, but the race bike was a tired, abused bike with a lot of miles on it and not very pretty. I hope the work I have done has actually helped the turbo fraternity and maybe some of my ideas have helped people keep their bikes running or helped with fixes.

After last year's disappointing trip to Bonneville I am hoping for some improvement this year. I pulled down a spare motor recently and was pleasantly surprised to find an almost new bore that still had nice looking hone marks. The slight discoloration at the top came out after a few seconds with a pad and some carb cleaner. Pistons are out and will go to CP/Carillo tomorrow for replacements in 10:1 compression. I sent the camshaft out last week to Web Camshafts for a little bump (couldn't resist the pun). I also plan to lighten the flywheel a bit, but will keep the alternator just to keep the computer and all of it's demands happy.

Previous work on the motor included porting and valve work by Reher Morrison Racing Engine, ecu work by Pim Pouw, larger fuel injectors, a rebuilt turbo, and gutted mufflers. This combination was done for the 2014 season at Bonneville, but we got rained out after we got there and were also rained out in 2015. I did run the bike at Ohio in 2015 and ran 130.47 in the mile. This was faster than the bike ran at Bonneville in three miles in 2013, so we were making improvements.

Last year I put it on the dyno before we went to Bonneville in an effort to bump the boost. My controls were funky but we were able to adjust things a bit. We did 24 runs and went from a low of 83.77 hp to highs at 113 hp. On one run we had the boost too high and it went to 25# for a few seconds until I could shut off. I think power was about 111 at 7500 rpm that run. Our setting for Bonneville was 109 hp. It ran and sounded great. This setup ran great at Bonneville and my first run hit 138 in the mile before the bike started messing up. Over three days I could not get it straightened out. Once I got home I had corrosion issues, some fuel issues and a dead fuel pump. It still made noises and spun, but not enough to get things done.

For 2017 I am planning to run at Loring, Maine where the track is 1 1/2 miles long and then again at Bonneville to run both the SCTA Speedweek event and then later at the AMA event. The AMA rules require a stock bore, so the idea of using the motor described above with higher compression pistons is exciting. I have been wanting to bore an engine, but that will have to wait. I am still running in the production class where the bike has to appear stock, except for safety equipment and all modifications have to be out of sight.

One last item of interest, the guy who had been doing my dyno work called a while back to say he was getting out of the repair business and selling his equipment. Long story short, I bought his dyno. It is a Dynojet 250i and is one of the best available. I was pretty familiar with using it but went ahead and contacted Dyno Jet about going through their training program and did that last month. So part of the fun in the future will be that I can test things to see what works and doesn't and also avoid having to do as much test riding on the street. I don't plan on doing any commercial dyno work as I don't want the liability and my shop is close to a residential neighborhood, so I don't want to upset the neighbors too badly.
    Noir, OCR, ShuRugal and 1 others like this.
    CX500C
    CX500T
    CX650E
    CX650T
    Hawk
    CB750 w/turbo
    RG500
    V-Max
    Kawasaki 750 Turbo
    Katana 1000
    Ducati 749R
    Screaming Eagle Road King
    CBR600F3
    Honda Metropolitan
    Ninja H2 1000
    & a dozen battery chargers

JC
    Watching this thread with interest.

For those who might say you are ruining a classic tell them to mind their own business. If you cut up a perfectly mint stock bike then I might feel a little different but if it was already far from that then in my opinion as apposed to it being parted out or scrapped do with it what you wish...i look forward to seeing pictures...before, during and after...

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

I find this whole thing fascinating. I have a mostly-stock bike that I like that way. But I intentionally bought a modestly-powered bike to learn on, so what you're doing strikes me as just plain weird, but in a fun way.

There seem to be plenty of old CXs around in good shape, so I find it difficult to believe that anyone would have a hard time with your resurrecting an old dog for this project.

Given that one can go out and buy a used Tuono for not that much money, I enjoy seeing the sport, if that's the right word, of what you're up to. It's fun to see the limitations that you run into and have to fix!
    OCR likes this.
    Peter

'79 CX500C, low miles

Quote Originally Posted by Peter in Cali View Post
    I find this whole thing fascinating. I have a mostly-stock bike that I like that way. But I intentionally bought a modestly-powered bike to learn on, so what you're doing strikes me as just plain weird, but in a fun way.

There seem to be plenty of old CXs around in good shape, so I find it difficult to believe that anyone would have a hard time with your resurrecting an old dog for this project.

Given that one can go out and buy a used Tuono for not that much money, I enjoy seeing the sport, if that's the right word, of what you're up to. It's fun to see the limitations that you run into and have to fix!
    Thanks Peter, early on some people voiced that all turbos should be kept in pristine shape due to their scarcity. I originally had some very nice bikes that I planned to use, but changed my mind when I found a well used bike that was perfect for this.

As for buying turbos cheap, that is one thing, but keeping them running properly can be like herding cats. Read the thread about a CX500 turbo that stumbles. He bought a very nice bike that developed some issues. These bikes can be maddening too. I do feel that I put a lifetime of stress on these things by trying to make them go a little faster. There just are not many places in the world where you can safely run flat out at 9,000 rpm for one to five miles and the minute or two that I get on each run is a lot of fun.
    CX500C
    CX500T
    CX650E
    CX650T
    Hawk
    CB750 w/turbo
    RG500
    V-Max
    Kawasaki 750 Turbo
    Katana 1000
    Ducati 749R
    CBR600F3
    Honda Metropolitan
    Ninja H2 1000

Quote Originally Posted by demoderbydave View Post
    For those who might say you are ruining a classic tell them to mind their own business. If you cut up a perfectly mint stock bike then I might feel a little different but if it was already far from that then in my opinion as apposed to it being parted out or scrapped do with it what you wish...i look forward to seeing pictures...before, during and after...
    Thanks Dave, I think I did give a rude response at the time. I will provide pics, probably more than anyone wants to see.
    CX500C
    CX500T
    CX650E
    CX650T
    Hawk
    CB750 w/turbo
    RG500
    V-Max
    Kawasaki 750 Turbo
    Katana 1000
    Ducati 749R
    CBR600F3
    Honda Metropolitan
    Ninja H2 1000

Is that the motor you picked up here in Minnesota?
    Current Bikes: cx500t1, cx500t2, cx500t3=UK version, cx650t 1979 CBX zx750E1 (750 turbo#1), zx750E2(750turbo#2 -parts bike but planning to completely rebuild), zx750E1(750turbo#3 -high performance build, shooting for 150HP), 1973 H1-500, 1974 H1-500, 1974 H2-750, 2014 BMW K1600GTL-Exclusive, 1984 Honda Interceptor 1000:blob10:

Previous Bikes: CB500T, 1974 Kawasaki 900 z1, 1989 Yamaha Vmax, 2008 HD soft tail custom

I will look forward to seeing those pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by johnste1960 View Post
    Is that the motor you picked up here in Minnesota?
    No, this was a "junk" motor that came in a trade years ago. The seller couldn't tell me anything about it and we both assumed it was more of a carcass that I might be able to salvage a few parts from down the road. All I can guess is that it came from a junk yard because the oil line was cut rather than unfastened like any normal person would do. The Minnesota motor is still on the stand. I have one other school motor besides that for future projects.
    CX500C
    CX500T
    CX650E
    CX650T
    Hawk
    CB750 w/turbo
    RG500
    V-Max
    Kawasaki 750 Turbo
    Katana 1000
    Ducati 749R
    CBR600F3
    Honda Metropolitan
    Ninja H2 1000

what is the record in the class u run at bonnie ?
    SideCar Bob's settings. http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...ould-make.html
    Main Wiki you can search by topic: http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    Old rant http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...me-advice.html
    St
    StatorTest;;
    http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    'Eager" 1979 CX500C Maroon.
    Named for the way it runs/sounds @ 65 +

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links