What is it like to own and ride a 500 Turbo?
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What is it like to own and ride a 500 Turbo?

What is it like to own and ride a 500 Turbo?

I've owned a lot of CX500s, GL500s, and 650 variants. I've never owned a Turbo. I've heard the 500s have a sudden surge of power that can break the rear wheel loose when you least expect it, but also that there's mitigation for that by removing the surge tank and using a K&N filter. Dunno if that's actually accurate though. I've always had a curiosity in the T, and would pick one up if it ever crossed my path... but you know, I could go out of my way to find one if I wanted. I'm curious what the bike is all about, especially if you have knowledge of and comparison to the more performance-oriented bikes of the 80s, like the V65 Magna or the V-Max.

So what's the bike like, and what are the easy mods for it?

Also, has anyone ever omitted the collector and the left exhaust pipe, and ran a pipe straight from the Turbo outlet to a single muffler? Seems that would save like 20 pounds.

Charles.
    Visit my Blog: Modified Motorcycles By ChopperCharles at http://choppercharles.com

i owned a new one for 3 weeks drove it around toronto and on and off freeways and the qew

at the same time i owned a gl1000 and a 80 cbx

the cbx was much faster than the turbo and got way way better gas mileage

i drive stiffly (lol) i like to accelerate as ard as i can to the speed i just wont quite get a ticket and that is part of the fun for me (smiles per hour not miles per hour)

when you do this on cx500 turbo you can use more fuel than a chevy v8 and in a city the size of toronto hit the gas station twice a day

seriously a 500 that does not even reach 20 mpg sometimes ??

i know guys will jump in a poo poo this but if yiuy think i ride anything by babying it you dont know me

the last day i rode it i had to go out to hamilton on the qew and gt back in a hurry its 39 miles each way and back then

involved stoppng for a toll bridge and then ace;lerating away

i averaged 18 mpg on that trip and go rid of it

got back on my 27mpg cbx
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

Charles, have you ever considered grafting another pair of cylinders on a CX500? Throw a leg over an ST1100. I think you would like it. I've never gotten less than 38-40 mpg and had a high of 55 mpg once. 45 to 48 mpg is common. And I use up a rear tire in 5-6K miles. I think it's on par with a V65 Magna and
    Sabre as far as performance and probably has an edge in handling. I used to assemble and test those at the dealership. I wished I could have afforded a Sabre at the time, but settled for a GL650 as a left over.

Murray, I have driven a couple times to Toronto. I don't believe I would ride a bike on those highways until I am allowed to carry a sidearm. Have you been there lately? I saw a police car pull in to Canadian Tire and told him I was from elsewhere and that I was on the QEW the day before. I suggested they change the name from Queen Elizabeth Way to Queen Elizabeth Raceway. He laughed in agreement. Just google "Stupid Toronto Drivers" and you can watch videos all day long.
    Of all the things I've learned to make....money is the hardest.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

I don't care one iota for gas mileage. If I did I wouldn't be using your carbs, Murray! (24mpg on a good day). I'm just really curious about the Turbos

Charles.
    Visit my Blog: Modified Motorcycles By ChopperCharles at http://choppercharles.com

500T - I get between 30-35 MPG, and I don't baby it. The on/off boost ratio for the 500 is quite excessive. Some folks shave down the heads on the 500 to raise the compression. That is why Honda raised the compression and displacement for the 650 and lowered the boost. It is a smoother transition. I personally like the 500 transition. Once you ride a Turbo, you won't ever want that NA. Be careful - boost is addictive...Its kind of like that lady, liquor, or drug that you just can't get enough of....

650T is a whole other beast. Please look at the power that Ed is getting with his flat track bikes...

Yes - Dan Topping has done the single exhaust.

Murray - There was something wrong with that bike if the mileage was that bad...

PK
    Last edited by CXTURBOBOOST; 03-16-2017 at 07:37 AM.

That's pretty expensive comparing it with mine 650T. I get 47 MPG when driving easy and 42 MPG when I get loose
    Last edited by dutchturbo; 03-16-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    83 CX650T 2x

I never checked the fuel mileage. The ride was sooo good and the power and speed was so easy.
    The longest ride I took on my CX500tc was about 40 miles. I took lots of trips of 10 to 15 miles and enjoyed every mile.
    At 79 years old I probably do not need that kind of power and speed so I let her go to someone who can enjoy what
    the bike is, pure, raw fun.
    1979 CX500C (Marshall's bike)

1981 Yamaha XS650 (New Adventure)

1979 Honda CB400T II (Rescued Bike)

1972 Suzuki RV90(for the grandkids)Ole Smokey

They are really quirky.
    Handling that bike well in a canyon or on a track takes equal parts skill, stupidity, and bravado.
    And a fork brace. Single most important piece of upgrade equipment.

My favorite part of track riding was coming out of a corner sitting on top of 5500 RPM next to stock 600cc sportbikes on the straights.
    They thought they'd walk away from me. Never happened. Not even once. R6's, CBR600RR's, Gixxers, If I was ahead of them, they couldn't pass me, it we were side by side, same. There were a lot of very confused squids on those days.
    Given a longer straight, they could have made it into 6th gear and it would have been all over, but Sears Point / Infineon / Sonoma Raceway isn't like that.

If they weren't so goddamned expensive and time consuming to maintain, I'd still have one on the road.
    Mine's been sitting in the garage now for two years.
    cobraace likes this.

Hi Charles. Did you ever get that shift lever I sent you?

The 500TC has a real feel of hand-crafted quality about it. The bike is quite heavy, and with its lower compression ratio sluggish on local streets unless you give it some gas. The turbo surge feels and sounds wonderful. Very manageable once you get used to it. You will learn to anticipate acceleration and deceleration, as both are not instant so a little planning is in order. On most bikes you ride in the present. On an old antique you ride in the past, but on a CX Turbo you ride a few seconds into the future. On the 650TD you're a rocker with a groupie, on the 500TC you are at the ballroom, dancing with the Queen's daughter.
    Last edited by phogroian; 03-16-2017 at 03:22 PM.
    cobraace likes this.

Driving a 500t is just llike flying a,dc3,You plan ahead
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links