Small things make a difference
Close

Angry Small things make a difference

So my son and I completed the 500T’s stator and cam replacement. Everything was back together, except for fairings. Radiator topped off, fresh oil and fuel. Turned on the key and flipped the run switch. 10 bars on the turbo display and the fuel pump kicked in. Pulled in the clutch lever and hit the start button…click click click click…Dead battery you say? Maybe……….. but the starter was warm. Its getting power but doesn’t kick in. Removed the starter and put some juice to it. Starter kicks on great. Went to check the starter gear set……gear doesn’t move. Its stuck!!! Engine rotates but still the starter gear set doesn’t move. What the heck is going on?

Check the book and couldn’t figure it out. Did everything it said to. Everything torqued to spec’s. Checked and Rechecked the parts diagram. Rechecked the work bench for any loose items. Wait, whats this? A washer? Where did that come from? What the heck would it go too?...............Hhhmmmm……… Wait………………….what’s this? Threre’s supposed to be 2 washers on the starter axle gear, not 1? The shop manual didn’t say 2 washers….but the parts diagram does.

D#$%^!!! Now I gotta take the whole engine out for 1 flippin washer???!! That bites.

Lessons learned–
    *check the work bench for loose parts
    *spin the gears before reinstalling the engine
    *pay closer attention to the parts diagram. It gives much more detail.
    *listen to your kids. You might learn something
    Sometimes you just can't fix "Stupid!"

1982 Honda CX 500 TC-:in love:-just purchased and currently tore down to replace the stator.
    2009 HD Sportster XL1200 C-:furious:-2009 upgraded to Harley. Love the ride. Loud pipes save lives
    2005 Kawasaki 125-:yawn:-2005. 71mpg. Great bike for small commutes. upgraded to Harley
    1982 Honda CX 500 TC-:in love:-1987-88. Fun bike to ride in the mountain highways of CO.
    1982 Honda CX 500C-1986.:crazy: great bike and fun to ride

Quote Originally Posted by mesadad View Post
    Threre’s supposed to be 2 washers on the starter axle gear, not 1? The shop manual didn’t say 2 washers….but the parts diagram does.
    These two ?

Golden Boomerang Wheels Rock

CX500TC - summerfun

VF750F

CBX1000 - exploded in garage

I just put mine back on today and I only had one. Mine is on the outside, toward the read cover (smaller gear end)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1980 Honda CX500 Custom (In a pile of parts, current project)
    1981 Suzuki GN400CR (Cafe Racer, current ride)
    1976 Honda CB125S1 (Full original restoration. Sold her and miss it. Every. Single. Day.)

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

that's the one.......

Now I'm confused!! I double checked that step. I do have one on each side of the gear. I specifically checked that, several times.

Now I have to figure out why I have a third one. It did rotate before I put the back cover on.

Is it possible they added one at the factory to shim it??
    Last edited by mesadad; 03-21-2017 at 08:47 AM.

1982 Honda CX 500 TC-:in love:-just purchased and currently tore down to replace the stator.
    2009 HD Sportster XL1200 C-:furious:-2009 upgraded to Harley. Love the ride. Loud pipes save lives
    2005 Kawasaki 125-:yawn:-2005. 71mpg. Great bike for small commutes. upgraded to Harley
    1982 Honda CX 500 TC-:in love:-1987-88. Fun bike to ride in the mountain highways of CO.

Then it must be for shimming purposes. If yours was starting up with no issues, that has to be the answer. Either way, my advise is to make sure it rotates after you torque the back cover on. You don't want to be in my situation.

Though, one positive spin on this is I don't feel as hesitant about removing the engine as I did before. I was very careful in removing everything as to not cause any damage to anything due to no replacements being available. Maybe even too careful, and very intimidated.

Maybe one suggestion also that I might try. After I re-assemble the back cover, i'll install the starter and hook up the battery to make sure it rotates. That's one way to cycle oil throughout the motor without running it. Then again, the main shaft bolt on the front of the motor with a good torque drill would probably do the same thing.
    Last edited by mesadad; 03-21-2017 at 08:44 AM.

you may have problems going forward. should be two.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileAZN View Post
    I just put mine back on today and I only had one. Mine is on the outside, toward the read cover (smaller gear end)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1982 GL500i Daily rider
    1982 GL500 Father/Son winter project. The green hornet! Alive and well!

Mike Nixon's carb book
    Larry Cargill's carb book
    Factory service Manual

I'll dig around my pile, but I only seem to have one. I have another similar one grouped in with my water pump parts that doesn't seem to be on the diagram so maybe it wandered into the wrong pile. That'll be sorted out this weekend.
    1980 Honda CX500 Custom (In a pile of parts, current project)
    1981 Suzuki GN400CR (Cafe Racer, current ride)
    1976 Honda CB125S1 (Full original restoration. Sold her and miss it. Every. Single. Day.)

Sponsored Links