Motorcycle GPS
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Motorcycle GPS

Motorcycle GPS

Hey,

I'm planning a trip across Canada and back through the states this summer for a couple months (July-August) this year. Just curious if anyone has experience with motorcycle GPS untis which ones are good etc. Obviously I'd like a waterproof one and something that covers the Maps of States and Canada. Heck depending on funds I might even go as far as Mexico.

Hiya,
    Here is the Garmin model i use in the car and on my motorcycles with great success : https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod100852.html
    I cover it with a "Ziplock" bag during inclement weather
    My wife and a few other members on this forum will attest that i'm "directionally Challenged"....

If you are doing a trip across Canada and the States, you should try and include the following :

6th Annual Honda CX/GL Rally EH !!!

http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...ish-rally.html

All The Best..........Keith..........................
    Sam I Am likes this.
    Present bikes:

1979 Honda CX500 Deluxe "Bessie"

1982 Honda GL500i "Scruffy" + Velorex 562 sidecar

2001 Honda ST1100 "Cody"

1983 Honda CX650E "DJ"

3@ 1979 CX500 Deluxe Donor Bikes

There are waterproof GPS units made but are much more expensive than units made for a car. If you have the cash, go right ahead. I use a car unit and pull it and hide it in the fairing pocket when it rains. Garmin is the brand most folks like.

Oh, I just noticed this is your first post. Welcome! please tell us about your motorcycle and update your profile with your location.
    '92 BMW K75RT

'83 Honda GL650 SilverWing Interstate (sold)

'82 Honda GL500 SilverWing Interstate (sold)

'77 Kawasaki KZ650 (sold)

Motorcycle Gang Blog

Deer Hunting Blog

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Name:  panel2.jpg
Views: 3729
Size:  130.1 KB
    I use a cheap Garmin Nuvi... and a Garmin bicycle Speeodomter GPS
    but I'm a paper map guy as far as planning... I don't do much Interstate... GPS routing misses the good stuff!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by STroll; 01-29-2014 at 10:16 PM.
    I had the right to remain silent... I just didn't have the ability - Ron White

previous
    1976 Honda SL350
    1984 Honda Civic S
    1992 Honda Prelude
    1993 Honda ST1100
    current
    1986 Honda 215 HRA lawnmower... I mention this because it's still my mower.
    2004 Honda ST1300ABS
    1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
    1982 Yamaha Virago 750
    2012 Honda Civic Si
    http://cxfe.blogspot.com/
    I host this ride:
    http://bearstoc.com/
    C'MON!

Smile Gps

I have been using different Garmin GPS over the years and presently have the Zumo 660 which is an excellent model - very good for highway, but expensive. For off road use (I do a lot of trail riding) I use the Montana 650 which is likely overkill for the highways as well as being quite complicated.
    The difference between car and motorcycle models is primarily the bike ones are both shock and waterproof. As someone mentioned you can get a good one designed for car use and put it in a plastic bag for wet weather.
    I find a GPS to be invaluable, makes it very easy to find addresses, gas stations, hospitals etc. as well as giving you a choice of roads, time and mileage to destination and so on. There IS a learning curve so I would suggest that before setting off on a cross country trip that you get familiar with the unit and read and understand the manual.
    Cheers, Mike
    STroll likes this.

I buy refurbs and rotate them through the bike and cars, replacing about 1 a year. My current go-to GPS is a 5-inch Garmin 2595LMT. Lifetime maps update 4 times a year and it gives reasonable traffic warnings. Not always timely but helpful nonetheless. Currently under $100 on the Internet with 1 year factory warranty. The RAM mount for my previous 1450 series fits it fine. Keith's recommendation for zip locks is spot-on. I just slip a bag over the GPS when it starts to rain and hold it in place with a couple rubber bands. Set it to avoid highways and go shorter distance and you'll see roads that are not on any paper map. Like Keith, I'm directionally challenged. I have one for the bike and one in each car, and carry as a spare a well-used and proven Garmin Quest2.
    STroll likes this.
    '83 CX650C (Sigh... I sold it, now in Boston)

'06 Concours (My last motorcycle... this time I mean it... )

Quote Originally Posted by JB in SC View Post
    I buy refurbs and rotate them through the bike and cars, replacing about 1 a year. My current go-to GPS is a 5-inch Garmin 2595LMT. Lifetime maps update 4 times a year and it gives reasonable traffic warnings. Not always timely but helpful nonetheless. Currently under $100 on the Internet with 1 year factory warranty. The RAM mount for my previous 1450 series fits it fine. Keith's recommendation for zip locks is spot-on. I just slip a bag over the GPS when it starts to rain and hold it in place with a couple rubber bands. Set it to avoid highways and go shorter distance and you'll see roads that are not on any paper map. Like Keith, I'm directionally challenged. I have one for the bike and one in each car, and carry as a spare a well-used and proven Garmin Quest2.
    You just described the one in my pic above...
    I had the right to remain silent... I just didn't have the ability - Ron White

previous
    1976 Honda SL350
    1984 Honda Civic S
    1992 Honda Prelude
    1993 Honda ST1100
    current
    1986 Honda 215 HRA lawnmower... I mention this because it's still my mower.
    2004 Honda ST1300ABS
    1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
    1982 Yamaha Virago 750
    2012 Honda Civic Si
    http://cxfe.blogspot.com/
    I host this ride:
    http://bearstoc.com/
    C'MON!

Thanks... so buying a cheap second hand one and using zip lock bags will do eh... I looked at the price of the Zumo 350LM and laughed at the fact it costs almost as much as I paid for my bike. Speaking of which I bought a 1980 CX500 Custom with 48K km's on it, Its beat up a little an not in the best shape. Im going to get an idea of what I should do to the engine to ensure I make it across Canada and back through the states. I'm going to make a posting in the tech section but right now I'm thinking of checking over the Cam Chain, Mech Seal, stator and Compression. Besides regular maintenance like oil changes and such what else do you think I need to do?

Here's my new GPS rig. Made with a handlebar brace, a piece of PVC pipe (painted black), a power outlet (with 5V USB port), and a water resistant GPS mount. All from DealExtreme.com. Picked up a refurb Magellan GPS from 1sale.com. Seems to work really well.
    Dan
    Last edited by decolvin; 04-24-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    The name is Dan ... please use it freely.

1982 GL500I

1981 CX500C

Chesapeake, VA

Duct tape is like the Force ... it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

I was looking (and bought) a Motorcycle GPS a couple of years ago. I bought the Zumo. From navigation perspective it's good and probably the best out there, however to find the best Motorcycle roads it could be better and more user friendly. I also didn't like to carry around an extra device so I Started to use my phone in a waterproof case.

Perhaps that's something you could consider too? There are lots of good apps out there that can help you navigate and help you find nice tracks. I actually started a site on it with some blog posts that might be interesting for you. www.motomappers.com. Hope it's useful to you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links