1980 Honda CX500 Custom
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 1980 Honda CX500 Custom

1980 Honda CX500 Custom

Long time no see!

Last week my younger son (21 yrs) decided to buy a CX500 Custom 1980. Maybe I influenced just a little bit . Anyway, 83 tkm driven and outside in pretty good condition, PO. was 70 yrs old man and kept the bike pretty well. I had to make the services and repairs if needed. I worked five days and it became pretty nice. The rear bar is missing. There is little bit left on the cam chain adjustment so I gave a permission to ride this summer. Even though I would have dropped the engine right away.. Well, a new cdi box in and riding. There was all the classical symptoms of failing source coils but the bike went away. I will drop the engine as soon as I see the bike again!

Name:  CX500Custom.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  348.9 KB
    chilimac, fega72, Bikamper and 2 others like this.
    My bikes:
    1981 CX500 Custom, 1983 GL1100 Gold Wing Interstate - Sold
    1980 CX500 STD powered by my diy FBG47 AC-CDI unit - my CX repairs - SOLD to my son!
    1985 CB450SC Nighthawk, in principle a half of FBG47 should have been adequate to power up - Sold
    1973 CB125K5 with diy TAI ignition - Sold

My OcularBiker Blog - "If you can't buy it, you can make it!"

I'm not sure I can explain it, but there just is something about the style lines on the Customs that just grabs my eye. First CX I ever had was an 82C, then an 80C

You guys are lucky over there, you get the dual disk brake front. Looks like a nice specimen Andy, nice to see you post again.
    (In case any one doesn't know, Andy makes his own Finn box to get the CDI stuff taken care of. Somewhat along the Ignitech and Rae-San units. Might be leaving a few out.)

Joel in the Couve
    TheWiscoKid likes this.
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.
    Forum Settings that everyone should make
    Photo posting tips!

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Thanks, Ramprat. Yes, I have made time to time new FBG47 cdi units. Just now have to be sorry because lately I have had problems to get correct components and many other duties have come over. Summer is so short here in Finland that time flies. And need to ride myself too. But will make them again, at least, in the end of summer or so.
    Anyway, my son's custom is in pretty good condition, though there are a few points to be fixed. The rear final drive's and flange's teeth are worn pretty badly. Lack of lubrication. Especially the final drive flange is bad. I will get in good condition used final drive flange. Thanks to Bikamper! The final drive unit's teeth are worn much less but it would be good to change it the same time. So, I thought to ask if someone would be interested in swapping parts? Good condition final drive unit vs. new FBG47 cdi unit. Is it fair deal? I do not know. Just thought if someone is in need of new cdi unit and has extra spares.. If so pm me. There is also missing the rear chrome bar but it's only a decorative thing even if it would unify otherwise original nice bike.

Andy62
    My bikes:
    1980 CX500 STD powered by my diy FBG47 AC-CDI unit - my CX repairs - SOLD to my son!
    1985 CB450SC Nighthawk, in principle a half of FBG47 should have been adequate to power up - Sold

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Andy, that grab bar is a lot more useful than just cosmetic decoration. I would bet you could find one on this forum if you poked around and/or posted in the Sell section.

It might also be helpful for you to (if you are able to produce them fairly regularly) post again what your unit is, and it's comparisons to the other common ones most see.

Joel in the Couve
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.
    Forum Settings that everyone should make
    Photo posting tips!

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

I'll try on Sell section ok..
    My bikes:

Life goes it's own path. I swapped my 1983 GL1100 Interstate to a little bit smaller bike! We all know the bike's manufacturer and model: 1981 CX500 Custom this time!

Name:  IMG_20160709_143646.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  4.97 MB

100 t km driven, ie. not very much yet. Many repairs already done by PO. Stator's source coils are kaput, so Iggy is installed. Btw, it has been my first ridings lately with a cx furnishged with Ignitech. Cannot blame it, it works very well. Now I have a better oportunity to test new cdi units after I have changed a new G47 stator..

I like cx500, it's a good bike.
    ramprat06, howitzer21, OCR and 1 others like this.
    My bikes:

Okay, because I have now time I thought what would happen if I connect my own FBG47 ac-cdi unit to my bike. The source coils rates (original stator) are as follows: 8/9=113 ohm and 9/5=370 ohm. Ie. both of the values are little bit out of the range. The PO said to rode about 6200 km Iggy connected. The Iggy is the latest model consisting of the connector to blue/white wires.

Name:  IMG_20160715_104759.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  3.06 MB

I started the bike and right away was amazed! All was working properly. I put my helmet on and hit the road. What the h..ll! All is working just perfectly! This was my first time ever to test my unit after Iggy. I have read as well as many of us that if Iggy is used for awhile it will kill forever the source coils. Hmmm.. not in this case! After 6200 km with Iggy and all is working ok with normal ac-cdi unit powered by the source coils? Well, maybe the source coils are not spoiled by Iggy after all..
    Well, I tied the Iggy as seen in the photo and will carry it with the bike just in case. But now on I will ride the bike with my own unit connected. Let's see how long the source coils last. Right now all is really working just fine and cx goes without problems. Long live the Honda CX500!
    Last edited by Andy62; 07-17-2016 at 11:30 AM.
    OCR likes this.
    My bikes:

andy did you have the ignitec that had the blue white wire plug? if so this prevents the source coils from going bad earlier units did not have this
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

Murrayf, as you see from the photo my Iggy has the blue/white wire plug. If I remember right someone reported that still source coils were kaput after using Iggy. Maybe I remember wrongly..
    My bikes:

yes and some of the earilier ignitecs did not have the shunt or whatever it is that stops the coils from arcing when not in use

that is why they fried the source coils
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links