Parts for gl650 Interstate
Close

Hello all,

I am new to this forum so I apologize ahead of time if I ask some repeat questions. I recieved a a gl650 as a starter bike/hand me down for my first bike and I have been searching around for parts with no luck. I don't know much about bikes, kind of learning as I go. I really need a left side cover for it but will take both if they got to go at the same time. I also need a front seat. Any help would be much appreciated.

I also have been flirting with the idea of taking the fairing off. Can this be done relativly easy and what would it entale?

Thanks,

Triple 0 - Licensed to Kibitz fibonacci's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. Please put your fill out your profile as per this link, so we know where you are and what you have for future reference.

Check the Buying/Selling forum here and also ebay for those parts. The GL500 side-covers will fit and the seat will also fit but the 500 seat may be slightly narrower. Do you not have a seat at all or does it just need re-covered?

The fairing can be removed and a headlight "bucket" installed. You will need the bucket and the bracket that attaches it to the forks, along with front signals and handlebar mirrors. I did the opposite with mine - putting on a fairing in place of the headlight bucket. I'll have to see if I can find all of those parts but I might be interested in a swap of some kind so I can put the fairing back on my 500 when the time comes for that. Where are you located?

Fib
    Wiki link

'83 GL650 ("Beatrix) Kiddo"

Who is John Galt?

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

"Don't worry about it, I'll worry about it - I'm gonna be up anyway" Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by G.Profico View Post
    Hello all,

I am new to this forum so I apologize ahead of time if I ask some repeat questions. I recieved a a gl650 as a starter bike/hand me down for my first bike and I have been searching around for parts with no luck. I don't know much about bikes, kind of learning as I go. I really need a left side cover for it but will take both if they got to go at the same time. I also need a front seat. Any help would be much appreciated.

I also have been flirting with the idea of taking the fairing off. Can this be done relativly easy and what would it entale?

Thanks,

If you like the idea of bucking the wind.....take it off. I wouldn't ride without my fairing. I like the look and the wind protection. I took my parts bike for a ride, it has a fairing but it's lower, and knew right away that the fairing and windshild was for me! My take on it.
    Dan :happy3:

:blob6:My link to the cam seal delete plug
    '81 CX500c 41,000+ miles.
    CXGL WIKI<------ Check here for help!
    :blob10:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Always check the stupid stuff before panicking. This applies to everything in life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

I wanted to see how it rides/looks without a fairing. I like the basic look of older bikes and wanted to streamline the bike. I still have the seat its just a little shredded. Im located in south jersey just outside of the philly area.

Triple 0 - Licensed to Kibitz fibonacci's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanCX500 View Post
    If you like the idea of bucking the wind.....take it off. I wouldn't ride without my fairing. I like the look and the wind protection. I took my parts bike for a ride, it has a fairing but it's lower, and knew right away that the fairing and windshild was for me! My take on it.

Hey! Quit tryin' to talk him out of giving up my fairing...!

Seriously, I agree - I would hate to ride without my fairing. Ok, maybe HATE is too strong a word, but you get the idea.

As I suggested, look in the Buying/Selling forum here, I'm sure someone has a bucket they're willing to part with. Then you can hold onto the fairing for when you decide you'd rather have it on. The forks are a different size on the 650 than they are on a 500, so I would ASSume the headlight bucket bracket for a 500 wouldn't work.

Fib
    Wiki link

'83 GL650 ("Beatrix) Kiddo"

Who is John Galt?

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

"Don't worry about it, I'll worry about it - I'm gonna be up anyway" Joe Walsh

Sponsored Links