Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I just picked up an 81 CX500 Custom. The bike looks to be in great shape. 10k plus change on her. Running a little hot, but I've been down that road before (probably couldn't be worse than the seized impeller, cracked fan, and blow mech seal on my previous GL500). Anyway, the former owner recently installed a new Kenda Cruiser S/T tire in the front. The tire looks to be in perfect condition except for a shallow cut along the left sidewall. The cut is maybe 1/16th inch deep and about 8 inches long and runs parallel to the rim about 3/4 inch from the rim. The question is: should this make me nervous?
    Nate
    81 CX500C

I'd probably inflate it to 60 psi and have a look at it again - if it has opened up a lot I would probably replace it, but 1/16th " is not very deep - is it like a razor cut or maybe like a box cutter style - I'd be concerned if someone had tried to slash the tire?
    81 CX500 Custom

82 CX500 Turbo

As an Ex tyre fitter I would recommend you replace the tyre or at the very least get it checked at a reputable dealer.Painful as it may be on cost we only have two small points of contact on the ground on a motorcycle so they need to be 100%.

My 2 cents.

HTH

Triple 0 - Licensed to Kibitz fibonacci's Avatar
    If it follows the profile of the tire exactly it may be a manufacturing mistake. I worked at a tire factory before - if the "builder" just gets a drop of sweat on the rubber it can cause an issue. Maybe if the previous owner has the receipt you could take it back and have it replaced?

I hate to say it but I too would be nervous about riding on a tire that appears to be coming apart.

Fib
    Wiki link

'83 GL650 ("Beatrix) Kiddo"

Who is John Galt?

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

"Don't worry about it, I'll worry about it - I'm gonna be up anyway" Joe Walsh

Like others said, I'd replace it. A front tire is under $100, a blow out is going to cost you much more than that.
    79 Deluxe┬*┬*

80 Custom engine┬*

I agree with everyone on swapping it out. Mostly because we only have two tires, and an issue with one can be a serious problem. On the other hand if it is as shallow as you describe and you don't see any visible cord material, its probably just a cosmetic issue. I would still replace it just to be safe.
    1980 CX500 Deluxe

I'd agree with the "don't take that chance" group. But for the chance, can you post a picture?
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 59. G-Loria 82 500 Silverwing Interstate, 15k

CLICK ME FOR MY STORY>>

Photo posting tips!

WIKI link for all the good tech stuff

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    As an Ex tyre fitter I would recommend you replace the tyre or at the very least get it checked at a reputable dealer.Painful as it may be on cost we only have two small points of contact on the ground on a motorcycle so they need to be 100%.

My 2 cents.

HTH

I'm in the play it safe camp. I wouldn't bother taking it somewhere, they're just going to tell you to replace it. Not because they want to sell you one, but if they tell you it's fine and it does blow you could possibly sue them.
    2004 BMW R1150R, Hilda

1982 Honda GL500 Interstate, Miyabi

Quote Originally Posted by MattPie View Post
    I'm in the play it safe camp. I wouldn't bother taking it somewhere, they're just going to tell you to replace it. Not because they want to sell you one, but if they tell you it's fine and it does blow you could possibly sue them.

Even 30 years ago here in the UK it was our legal obligation to inform a customer not to drive the car out of the depot if a tyre was faulty and or not legal.Some thought we were touting for business but we weren't as it was the law and part of the Business licence and codes of practice.I saw some pretty horrendous tyre states come in like totally bald tyres with carcass chords showing

Conversely I'll never forget an old gent who lived out in the country and was obviously a sedate driver.He came in wanting a new set of Michelins,as that's what were on the car.He had had them on since new and this was an old car even then,a Morris Minor.

When I took the tyres off they still had legal tread depth but I couldn't find the same mark as these were,"Michelin X" and I found out they had stopped making them years ago.I asked him how many miles they had done and he looked inside the car at the Odometer and came back and said,"98,000 miles"!!!!!

Heh Heh

Thanks for all the responses, folks! My gut feeling is replace it, if only for the peace of mind. Seems a shame as it really is perfect and new otherwise. I think I will try calling the previous owner to get the purchase details (good idea, Fib). Maybe he does still have a receipt. I'll try to post a photo later.
    Nate
    81 CX500C

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors