Close

Thread: Carb Help !!!!

I can’t seem to figure out what is wrong with my gl650 carbs. They won’t stop leaking fuel like crazy. I’ve forgotten how many times I’ve rebuilt them with the same result. Start it runs fine no leaking fuel, turn fuel off and set aside for 10-15 min turn fuel on restart and it just starts flowing out like crazy. I’ve cleaned the carbs many many times, changed the float pin, cleaned the brass where the float pin’s slide. Still the same result. Also, I’m using a cx500 c or d tank (the café style tank.) Only thing I can think of is the cross over tube is causing a problem aka leaking or I’m not blocking off the correct tubes that originally went to the petcock on the gl650 tank because that tank used a pressured style petcock? Anyone have any ideas?

Have you checked the overflow pipe/tube in the float bowls? Those have been known to get hairline cracks and leak even when the floats don't stick. Sometimes you can't see the cracks, but they are easy to repair with some solder.

Joel in the Couve
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 58. G-Loria 82 500 Silverwing Interstate, 15k, and my honey's 88 Shadow VT1100

CLICK ME FOR MY STORY>>

Photo posting tips!

WIKI LINK for all the tech stuff

No I have not checked that, but then again the carbs look like their gushing fuel from everywhere. Mostly above the float bowls

This diagram shows how the vacuum petcock lines are routed, and if you are now using a modified vacuum petcock as a manual petcock, then you need to block off the nipple on the right carb toward the engine, and also block off the forward petcock nipple. This is assuming you have the vacuum petcock still. If not, then plugging off the nipple on the carb should do it. You might also make sure you used the proper bowl gaskets during the rebuilds.

Joel in the Couve
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 58. G-Loria 82 500 Silverwing Interstate, 15k, and my honey's 88 Shadow VT1100

CLICK ME FOR MY STORY>>

Photo posting tips!

Yes I'm now using a manual petcock. And yes both vacuum lines are blocked off.

Also, there are two vacuum hoses off the carb one in front of the butter fly as shown in the diagram as "C" and one behind. I've even tried opening up the second one with no success.

Know of any places where I can buy float bowl gaskets? That part doesn't seem to be available.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by apexmolester View Post
    Yes I'm now using a manual petcock. And yes both vacuum lines are blocked off.

Also, there are two vacuum hoses off the carb one in front of the butter fly as shown in the diagram as "C" and one behind. I've even tried opening up the second one with no success.

Know of any places where I can buy float bowl gaskets? That part doesn't seem to be available.

Thanks

There is only one vacuum hose on the carbs. There are 2 hoses that are on the bottom of the bowls for the overflow.

There are brass nipples on the inboard sides of the carbs, these are the float bowl vents and should have no hose or caps on them.

This pic shows one of the float bowl vents and the gunk that I blew out of it by putting an air hose on the inside. As I said these should be left open and checked to be sure they are clear.

...and as the elders of our time choose to remain blind, let us rejoice and let us sing and dance and ring in the new. Hail Atlantis!

1975 XL-100, 1978 CX500, 1980 CX500, 1981 CX500, 1981 GL500

Day Trippin'...

THIS LINK should help you out for that stuff.

CLICK ME FOR MY STORY>>

Photo posting tips!

Sponsors