Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hi, I need to know what the shep method is to replace the mechanical water pump seal, can any one help please.
    honda cx500 1978

look in the quick reference section

http://globalcxglvtwins.forumlaunch.....php?f=7&t=355
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!!!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

I am not sure if this applies to these engines but I did it in mine anyway when I had it apart. I used to race an LT250 cross country, engine was apart alot, and the factory said to put a small amount of "Bars" stop leak (only bars) in the system to lube and help the mecanical seal do a better job of sealing. Does not really answer your question but I thought I'd throw it in. I don't know the "factory" way of changing the seal I just took it apart and replaced it the way that made the most sense to me, right or wrong it does not leak.
    1969 Mini Trail z50 my toy

1982 Mini Trail z50 my other toy

1980 cx500c Under clean-up to ridable condition

1979 cx500c Parts bike

1986 xl600r Finished bare metal frame up resto

Quote Originally Posted by deanbw View Post
    I am not sure if this applies to these engines but I did it in mine anyway when I had it apart. I used to race an LT250 cross country, engine was apart alot, and the factory said to put a small amount of "Bars" stop leak (only bars) in the system to lube and help the mecanical seal do a better job of sealing. Does not really answer your question but I thought I'd throw it in. I don't know the "factory" way of changing the seal I just took it apart and replaced it the way that made the most sense to me, right or wrong it does not leak.

Back in 1957 the first atomic submarine the USS Nautilus (SSN-571) had a reactor leak in the primary side of the reactor. As in "where all the hot uranium did its magic work". The Sub's entire reactor system had been pulled apart in both Groton, Connecticut and Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Washington and they couldn't find the leak anywhere. Meanwhile the chlorine levels and radiation in the ship started to slowly rise.

Captain William R. Anderson (Later Admiral) got pissed off. REALLY pissed off and pulled about 30 dollars out of his own pocket money (That'd be what? $500 dollars or so worth in todays cash? Maybe 700?) and had every guy on the engineering staff buy every can of "whats that shit called? Bars Leak? Buy every can of that crap and dump it into the reactors primary side". Captain Anderson wrote in his book "Nautilus 90 degrees north" they dumped in about 30 gallons of the stuff into what would be in todays money a 3 billion dollar submarine's guts. From the time Captain Anderson ordered this done, to the time of the Nautilus's decommissioning and turned into a museum that "Bars Leak" was never replaced.

If a Captain did this today they would literally break him on the wheel, crucify him, and the Chief of Naval Operations would use his body as ferterlizer on Annapolis grounds after he'd been buried face down, covered in garlic, stake through his heart and shot with silver bullets for good measure.

Admiral Anderson died here a few years ago- I wanted to meet him, since he was a childhood hero- and because anyone with that kind of gonads is why I'm a firm believer in Bar's Leaks.

1981 CX500C

Quote Originally Posted by deanbw View Post
    Cheers will try the bars stop first. many thanks
    honda cx500 1978

Quote Originally Posted by Trailltrader View Post
    Back in 1957 the first atomic submarine the USS Nautilus (SSN-571) had a reactor leak in the primary side of the reactor. As in "where all the hot uranium did its magic work". The Sub's entire reactor system had been pulled apart in both Groton, Connecticut and Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Washington and they couldn't find the leak anywhere. Meanwhile the chlorine levels and radiation in the ship started to slowly rise.

Captain William R. Anderson (Later Admiral) got pissed off. REALLY pissed off and pulled about 30 dollars out of his own pocket money (That'd be what? $500 dollars or so worth in todays cash? Maybe 700?) and had every guy on the engineering staff buy every can of "whats that shit called? Bars Leak? Buy every can of that crap and dump it into the reactors primary side". Captain Anderson wrote in his book "Nautilus 90 degrees north" they dumped in about 30 gallons of the stuff into what would be in todays money a 3 billion dollar submarine's guts. From the time Captain Anderson ordered this done, to the time of the Nautilus's decommissioning and turned into a museum that "Bars Leak" was never replaced.

If a Captain did this today they would literally break him on the wheel, crucify him, and the Chief of Naval Operations would use his body as ferterlizer on Annapolis grounds after he'd been buried face down, covered in garlic, stake through his heart and shot with silver bullets for good measure.

Admiral Anderson died here a few years ago- I wanted to meet him, since he was a childhood hero- and because anyone with that kind of gonads is why I'm a firm believer in Bar's Leaks.

honda cx500 1978

mmmmmm. I really dont know what to say, thanks for the history lesson but im sure I would have got the message with a simple, try Bars leak, it works.
    honda cx500 1978

Quote Originally Posted by cerance View Post
    mmmmmm. I really dont know what to say...

Here. Let me help. I'll take it right from your post:

"thanks for the history lesson...im sure I...try Bars leak..."

Done.

And avoids gettin' all snooty at the poster that took the time to offer something up in response to your inquiry.
    Proud Owner of "Rufus", a work-in-progress barn-find 1981 CX500 Custom - my first and only motorcycle.

Where did the name come from? I credit my elder daughter:

[Me] Hey kids...so we need to come up with a name for the motorcycle...
    [Daughter] How about Rufus?
    [Me] That's a boy's name...I wasn't sure if it was a boy or a girl.
    [Daughter] Oh its a boy.
    [Me] Hm?
    [Daughter] Because its naughty...and all boys are naughty.
    [Me] (Laughing aloud) Rufus it is!

I would stick with Sheps method if you are looking for a mechanical seal replacement procedure without dropping the engine.

Murray posted the link. I don't see spending $$ on that type of stuff for these bikes. Aside from Stabil and Seafoam.

Joel in the Couve
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 59. G-Loria 82 500 Silverwing Interstate, 15k

CLICK ME FOR MY STORY>>

Photo posting tips!

WIKI link for all the good tech stuff

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

1981 GL500 , UK MODEL,needing a bit of tender loving care

1982 GL500 , UK MODEL,my daily ride.

Andalucia,in the south of spain

aka spanish bandit

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors