Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol Issues

I know that there has been several discussions regarding the ethanol gas issue and how it effects our bikes. After fighting through a few issues with my bike not wanting to start, I had decided to replace the gas in the bike (10% ethanol version) with non-ethanol and was absolutely amazed at what I found after draining out the gas. I took a photo of some of the gas that I drained out of the tank (the bowl on the left in the photo, and the gas I drained out of the float bowls (in the right bowl in the photo). Holy Mackerel, the gas in the tank looked fine, but look how yellowish the gas from the float bowls were. That was only sitting in the bowls for 3 weeks. I am thinking that the ethanol-gas is having a reaction with the aluminum in the carb bowls causing it to crap out so quickly. Just imagine what this is doing to the jets if it sits there for a couple of months, much less all winter.

Suffice it to say, I will run non-ethanol gas only and also make sure to drain the bowls if the bike will sit for more than a week from now on.

Those who fail to learn from their history are forever doomed to repeat it.

1980 Honda CX500C

Must be nice to live in a part of the country where you have that choice, here in MA,RI, & CT we only have 10%.
    79 Deluxe¬*¬*

80 Custom engine¬*

Quote Originally Posted by kingston73` View Post
    Must be nice to live in a part of the country where you have that choice, here in MA,RI, & CT we only have 10%.

same here and i dont have any problems with it i get the normal 87 octane with the 10% ethanol so i dont know
    1982 cx500 c

if you can read this then thank a teacher, if you can read this in english then thank a solider

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU HEARD THE WIND SAY HOSTILES TO YOU!?

when the going gets bad how bad does the going get

[quote ]i know i am crazy but not that crazy[/quote]

valve and cam chain adjustment

Yah for girlfriend living on an airport! (going to pick up a few gallons next time I go see her.)
    My first bike!

1981 CX500C SHE LIVES AND IS LEGAL!!!!

Last thing I need is new grips and Marshalls fan controller.

[s]Next up: Gas tank de-rusting and sealing, and electric fan conversion. [/s]

Parts Needed: [s]Headlight[/s], [s]Turn Signal[/s], [s]Headlight bracket[/s], [s]Stator[/s], [s]Ingitech[/s] (thanks Cobram), CHROME POLISH!!!!, [s]Larrys carb book scratch that... send them to Larry[/s], [s]Tach cable[/s]

(NOTE I am not the one in the picture. He is just helping me with it.)

tjjkc
    I had posted this on another discussion..........it supposed to cover Canada and the US .... http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by tjjkc View Post
    I had posted this on another discussion..........it supposed to cover Canada and the US .... http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

This is the exact list I used to discover I had a non-ethanol station close to me. I also verified it with the station when I bought the gas. I figure if worse comes to worse, I've got an airport and a 2 major racetracks in the county. But for know, I'm happy to go to the one local mom and pop that carries non-ethanol.

By the way, for those who don't have any stations on this list, it is not an exhaustive list, so drop into your mom and pop stations and just ask. If you find one, let this web site know about it.
    Those who fail to learn from their history are forever doomed to repeat it.

1980 Honda CX500C

I just took a leaf blower in for a minor repair. I ask about ethanol, and did I get an ear full. Everyone should Google "Ethanol Fuel Issues", I found out that ethanol gas can not be transported over the pipe line grid because it is so corrosive and attracts water so bad. Yes, if left in your carbs. it will destroy them. Do not story your chain saw, lawn mowers etc over winter with ethanol fuel in the tank, they say some of the additives will enhance damage. I will be working on my gl500 this winter and the tank will be drained. Make sure you have a real good fuel filter in you fuel line.
    Ev.

MI.

1982 Gl500i

This is disheartening. Thanks for that listing link though, I did find ONE station in my metro area. Very out of my way though. 15 miles is a bit far to go for gas with a CX500Custom tank., and multiply that by 2 to get back home. I almost always have to hit reserve at about 100 miles. I suppose I could invest in some cheapo gas cans and stock up when I have my truck out and about.

I've been concerned also with the negative words I've been seeing of late regarding the harm this stuff causes for our machines. Might be a contributor to my recent hesitation flat spot in my throttle mid range. Having had Larry do my carbs last spring, they've been sweet, but now a tiny roll up flat spot. I can get past it easy enough, but it is unsettling.

Joel in the Couve

If I were forced to run E10 I'd make it a habit of adding some Sea Foam or B-12 Chemtool (better and less expensive) on a regular basis.
    1979 CX500 Custom - restored to almost original condition. I'm waiting to get strong enough to return to work so I can finish all the painting prep and priming, then I'll take the tank and sides out to Old Okie's shop where the bike is and shoot the color, clear, apply decals and final clear then polish it to a perfect gloss.

I also have the tendency to misspell or add things later to a post so check again a bit later.

‚Ä*Click here to e-mail me

After years of agony with the E10 I will not put it in any of my small engines. I am fortunate to have several stations in my town with non-oxy.

I had learned of a simple tester for alcohol from a pilot friend and bought one for myself. Do any of you use these?
    '81 CX500c

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors