Passed the 10,000 mile mark!
Close
††††
††††
    I was doing some routine checking and updating my written records and realized I've put over 10,000 miles on the bike since I changed the speedo. The original speedo had 58,000+ miles on it so the bike must have at close to 70,000 miles.. I know it's not much compared with some of you but my bikes just a daily driver, not really for long distance trips. It just makes me laugh a little when you read or hear people say these bikes were unreliable, also funny when you see a newer bike for sale with "high" miles and its just over 10,000. I love these things!
    79 Deluxe¬*¬*

80 Custom engine¬*

Good job putting the miles on an unreliable bike.

I'm hoping on closing in on 10,000 miles with my new to me gl650 last august. The long winter screwed things up but I rolled 68,000 last week in Missouri and have hopes for many more miles.
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 78,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ‚áí Free Factory Service Manuals ‚áź

As I know you take care of your machine Kingston,don't be too surprised when you clock to zero,for the 2nd time<BFG>
    I won't miss the Human Race,well maybe,"Fish-and-Chips"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

So a guy said to me at a bikers cafe last week, those cx's had a lot of engine trouble didn't they, I replied "maybe, this one is 32yrs old and has 199,000 mls on the clock do you think I should get rid of it"

Usually the negative comments are from people that have never owned one, people that have owned one always say " I had one of those I should never of got rid of it ".
    1981 500 custom (cx650e engine)
    1983 650 custom

Quote Originally Posted by kingston73` View Post
    I was doing some routine checking and updating my written records and realized I've put over 10,000 miles on the bike since I changed the speedo. The original speedo had 58,000+ miles on it so the bike must have at close to 70,000 miles.. I know it's not much compared with some of you but my bikes just a daily driver, not really for long distance trips. It just makes me laugh a little when you read or hear people say these bikes were unreliable, also funny when you see a newer bike for sale with "high" miles and its just over 10,000. I love these things!
    Kingston, what have you had to do the the engine? My bike has 51,000 on it and all I've done is routine maintenance. I don't know what the PO's did to it but it runs really well. I'm just trying to figure out if I should prepare myself for any potential repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    Kingston, what have you had to do the the engine? My bike has 51,000 on it and all I've done is routine maintenance. I don't know what the PO's did to it but it runs really well. I'm just trying to figure out if I should prepare myself for any potential repairs.

This engine had a broken cam chain tensioner when I first got it, I have no idea how long the po rode it but it was in bad shape. The chain had eaten a good portion of the block and the oil chain up front was pretty loose. I put a new tensioner and guide in (this was back when the guides were still available) and all new o-rings and seals inside. I put a new water pump seal in and up front a new oil chain. I haven't touched the gearbox or pistons and all I've done with the clutch plates was clean them up and put it back together. Next winter I might take it out and crack it open because the o ring for the cam chain tensioner adjustment bolt leaks so in order to adjust the tension I have to seal it up with liquid gasket and let it sit overnight. I also have an ignitec so I haven't had to worry about the CDI, and the stator is original and seems to be working just fine so far.

If you haven't done so I would maybe start buying some key internal parts like the tensioner and chain, just to have as a back up. Or better yet look around for a complete spare engine and that way you'll always have a running bike and can fix the other engine at a relaxed pace.
    79 Deluxe¬*¬*

80 Custom engine¬*

Sponsored Links