New forum photo posting assistance. - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New forum photo posting assistance.

OCR
    Click on the "insert image" icon and you get a menu box with two tabs one says "from computer" and the other says "URL link".
    apparently, the site remembers [cookies] the last one that you used and shows that option first.
    Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
    Caroline Lodge # 681
    RAM Fidelity # 77

'79CX500C

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page

we are all given sh*t in life, but some of us learn to turn it into fertilizer and grow from it, and some us try to fling it on others like monkeys.

That's odd, I've never encountered this, and don't clear my cookies that often. Perhaps the browser you use? I use firefox. And you say "sometimes"? Try to isolate what your doing when either happens.

Joel in the Couve
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.
    Forum Settings that everyone should make
    Photo posting tips!

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Quote Originally Posted by OCR View Post
    That is why I prefer to use a host site and link from there.
    The images can be much larger and in some VB sites you can not upload the same picture more than once
    I believe that what you are experiencing, is when you attempt to "upload" the pic a second time, you are basically asking the server to "over write" the first image. While you and I have rights to read and to write to a specific area on the server's hard drive, we have no rights to erase or delete anything on the server. And, that is as it should be.

To post the same image again, after uploading it to the server, you would have to find it's location on the server. That is, go to your original post, find the image, right click it, and copy the image location - THEN paste that image location into your new post. The forum software should then serve the original image again, in the new post.

Think of the forum's software as yet another "offsite host".
    1982 Honda GL 500 I Silver Wing

Born much to late to ride with Billy the Kid, born much to early to ride to Mars, so I ride a Honda.

"Give the old tires to someone you don't like, claim they're new old stock." - Trailltrader

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

I think you nailed it there. Well done. The tapestry of knowledge here is amazing, eh? This forum is much easier to work with for pictures than the former. I agree, keeping photos off the forum directly is a good thing, so host sites like PB are my preference, but ones on your computer are easy to do as well.

This example is a "direct link" from PB copied to the image button URL option.

Name:  eagle.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  17.9 KB

Keep in mind I have two browsers open, one to PB and one to this forum.

This next image is a copy of "IMG" on PB pasted directly into this post without using the image insert button at all. When I copy the "IMG" on PB, I click back to this post, and use CTL V and it inserts the code directly.

And voila

This next photo comes from a file held on my laptop, not on a web host. I simply copy the original from my computer, use the "image insert" button, and browse to my file folder. Then click the "Upload Files" and here ya go. This is where sizing of photos comes into play. Personal computer images need to fit the parameters of the forum. That's why the host sites work best. They tend to manage that for you, and the forum accepts them much easier. Remember too, that sometimes (don't know why), you might need to uncheck that box that says " Retrieve remote file and reference locally"

Name:  our girl.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  600.3 KB
    Joel in the Couve
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    Photo posting tips!

And now to test the over write theory, I've not closed PB, and will attempt the same uploads in the same order.

Direct from PB

Name:  eagle.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  17.9 KB

IMG insert to post not using forum button

And from computer using the forum button browse and upload button

Name:  our girl.jpg
Views: 209

The ultimate critical thing to know is that you MUST use the original source of the image, no matter where you might see it. You HAVE to copy the SOURCE. This applies particularly to photos from the web....you have to dig to the original.

Joel in the Couve
    Last edited by ramprat06; 12-24-2013 at 11:13 PM.
    Runaway1956 likes this.

Age 61
    Photo posting tips!

It looks like it worked, Ramprat. Good job!

I can paste your image into my own post, simply by right clicking the image, and "copy image url" directly.

Name:  6999d1387947332-new-forum-photo-posting-assistance-our-girl.jpg
Views: 214

When I read the image url, it references the copy already present on new forum - so it just goes to that space on the server's hard drive(s) and serves it up directly.
    Last edited by Runaway1956; 12-24-2013 at 11:22 PM.
    1982 Honda GL 500 I Silver Wing

Born much to late to ride with Billy the Kid, born much to early to ride to Mars, so I ride a Honda.

"Give the old tires to someone you don't like, claim they're new old stock." - Trailltrader

Quote Originally Posted by Ameliajack View Post
    Hi ramprat06! I have read your article which good. You have shared very informative article. Thanks for it.
    Thank you very much, and a warm welcome to the forum!

Joel in the Couve

Age 61
    Photo posting tips!

Welcome pauli 18. Care to fill in your user profile to reflect the model bike you have and your whereabouts in the world?
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/CXPHREAK/library/Switchgear%20rebuild?sort=6&page=1

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page

Hey there folks, I have a question about images.

I read that uploading from my computer is discouraged, that it's preferable to link from an image hosting site.
    I just pulled the image from my first post, uploaded it and a ton of others to Flickr, and re-linked to the Flickr-hosted image.
    The image came through just fine, but unfortunately it appears to be stuck onto the END of the post as an attachment, not mixed into the body of the post. This makes it impossible to put a caption under the picture to explain what it is. I hit edit again to see what was up, and the Flickr image link is up in the body where it belongs. Any idea what's going on here?

As a possibly related issue, I added my bike to my signature, and it is not appearing to me at the end of my posts. It seems to work okay for all the other kids, what am I doing wrong?
    Oh wait hey, there's my signature! Lookee that! Well, ignore that part, it seems to have worked itself out.

further edit: well, I stopped trying to use Flickr as image host, and went with Photobucket. Now the image is fine. I don't know. IGNORE ME!!!!
    Last edited by chaetophile; 09-28-2014 at 04:47 PM.
    1981 CX500D project registered WOO HOOOO
    1978 CX500 parts bike

Quote Originally Posted by chaetophile View Post
    Hey there folks, I have a question about images.

I read that uploading from my computer is discouraged, that it's preferable to link from an image hosting site.
    I just pulled the image from my first post, uploaded it and a ton of others to Flickr, and re-linked to the Flickr-hosted image.
    The image came through just fine, but unfortunately it appears to be stuck onto the END of the post as an attachment, not mixed into the body of the post. This makes it impossible to put a caption under the picture to explain what it is. I hit edit again to see what was up, and the Flickr image link is up in the body where it belongs. Any idea what's going on here?

As a possibly related issue, I added my bike to my signature, and it is not appearing to me at the end of my posts. It seems to work okay for all the other kids, what am I doing wrong?
    Oh wait hey, there's my signature! Lookee that! Well, ignore that part, it seems to have worked itself out.
    I made up a proverb for that.... It's easy when you know (oh, and damned frustrating when you don't), 1st Bob 9:28
    Bob Witte, The Ghost of The Trinity Trike (Past)

My GL500 trike conversion project thread: http://cx500forum.com/forum/cx-custo...ting-done.html
    Click on this URL to download my free PDF for new Trikers:http://magic-pc.net/HowToRideAMotorcycleTrike.pdf

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links