new gl650 interstate owner
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new gl650 interstate owner

I bought this thing from a friend to help him make his house payment. He had it for years and never rode it. He got it from family who bought it new. ii paid 900 for it with 17k on the odo, is that ok for this bike? I thought it was awful ugly and didn't touch it for months.. after a new battery, a cyllinoid and some tweaking, she fired right up. N then after I took all the plastics n bags off I found a beautiful bike! Those plastics n bags are for sale btw. I wanna put a fork mounted headlight on it and replace the rear fender and tailight with something more modern..

Before
    Name:  CAM00090.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  1.18 MB
    Name:  CAM00091.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  1.08 MB
    After
    Name:  20131205_132338.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  1.35 MB
    Name:  20131205_132349.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  1.42 MB

I'm gonna put the crash bars back on though.. I like them

I took her riding today for the first time she did suprisingly well for a bike that has been sitting for 15 years. She didn't want to get over 30 mph at first, but now she won't get over 75, is this normal? I think she needs new plugs and premium gas. I aslo found that I have a coolant leak near the coolant reservoir.

It does NOT need premium gas, and when it's tuned up it will readily get up over 100 mph. More than likely you need to clean the carbs. There are some threads in the WIKI section of this forum about checking out and servicing a bike that's been sitting for a long time. You came to the right place.
    1979 CX500 Custom, "Malaria", pronounced "mala-REE-ah" GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

I actually did clean the carbs and flushed the tank. There is backfiring I think in the right cylinder. Thats why I think the plugs are shot
    I know cars sometimes have post detination due to low octane.. that's why I was thinking premium gas.. so will premium mess it up worse?

Quote Originally Posted by ocean View Post
    I bought this thing from a friend to help him make his house payment. He had it for years and never rode it. He got it from family who bought it new. ii paid 900 for it with 17k on the odo, is that ok for this bike?
    Ocean,

I think you got a great deal, especially with the low mileage. I'm certain another Interstate owner will want the faring and saddlebags (they get buggered up quite frequently), so that sweetens it even more. The nice thing is that you were helping out a friend in need and got a great bike at the same time -that's a win-win. I'd have purchased it for that price any day of the week.

Just north of Hartford, CT
    Current bikes
    1981 cx500 custom
    1984 Goldwing Aspencade
    Previous bikes
    1985 Goldwing Aspencade 1200
    1978 Suzuki gs450

Check plug boots

I actually did clean the carbs and flushed the tank. There is backfiring I think in the right cylinder. Thats why I think the plugs are shot.
    In that case, I highly recommend you also look at the guts in your plug boots, after checking out this WIKI article:

http://cxgl.wikispaces.com/Servicing+the+Sparkplug+Caps

This is a common problem that's generally missed by new owners because your common sense would suggest that the plug boot is just a straight-through connection from the plug wire to the spark plug. It's not! The diagrams at the bottom of the WIKI article show what's inside.

how did you clean the carbs

sorry for asking but 650 carbs are a pain and they have to be stripped right and ultrasonically cleaned or they wont work right

also have you checked or bypassed your vacuum petcock?
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

Wow thanks guys, I haven't checked most of that stuff in fact, I'll make it a point to do so, all of those things seem like they could be issues,

I cleaned the carbs the old school way, take it all apart I'm pretty good at building carbs

I wanna turn this thing into a bobber or a streetfighter type bike but I can't decide on it, its a nice looking cruiser as is.. so many decisions i kinda wanna keep a passenger seat, but I think she'd be sexier without one.. but then the old lady couldn't ride with me.. decisions decisions

I aslo found that I have a coolant leak near the coolant reservoir.
    This might just be a cracked hose where it connects near the bottom of the reservoir. The spring clip might have worn it out over the years. It's a bit of a pain to get to (at least on my CX, not sure about on a GL.) By the way, I'm envious of your bike. I agree with YankeeRon that you got a super deal.

Quote Originally Posted by chilimac View Post
    This might just be a cracked hose where it connects near the bottom of the reservoir. The spring clip might have worn it out over the years. It's a bit of a pain to get to (at least on my CX, not sure about on a GL.) By the way, I'm envious of your bike. I agree with YankeeRon that you got a super deal.
    I'll have to check that... its not bad so I'm not tooo worried about it but I need to fix it,
    Checking out that article you posted on the plug boots has inspired me to check them out n clean them at least, hopefully I can tomorrow..
    I'm also thinking I need to check out that petcock vacumme thing, it feels like I'm not getting enout fuel.. idk one thing at a time!!

I also think I've decided on what to do with her body, I found this article
    http://cx500forum.com/forum/cx-custo...r-project.html
    And I absolutely love it!!!!! Though i'd toss the tail light for something niftier, but I wanna keep my rear seat ugh..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links