Hello from Australia. Land of the killer koalas
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    qqc

Hello from Australia. Land of the killer koalas

Just wanted to do a bot of an intro thread and say hi to everyone. The title may have gave it away i'm located in Australia, I've been looking for a cx500 to buy for quiet a while and been browsing this forum unregistered getting the low down on what to expect.
    I'm not sure how common they are in other parts of the world but I couldn't find that many on this side of the world especially local to me.

After I put the word out to old mate that owns the local bike wreckers that I was chasing one I had a guy come into work wanting to sell two of them
    After a bit of talking back and forth came up with a price and I now own 2 cx500's One is an 83 and is registered all ready the other I believe but haven't checked is an 79model also a runner but needs some wiring fixed up and a few little things to get registered.

The grand plan is to tidy up the red 83model a bit and keep it originalish and just ride it to work etc. the blue 79 will be chopped up to make a cafe racer of some description.

I have a bit of clutch slip in the red one when you really get under it in top gear, apparently clutch was recently redone by old mate at th bike wreckers who I know quiet well so I will try get a chance to have a chat to him to see exactly what was done and have a poke around and see if I can find an easy solution. Any secrets or hints let me have them.

I also have a small oil leak up the top of the motor somewhere apparently from the tappet covers from when valves were adjusted again not so long ago however I don't think that is the case due to how high up on top of the engine it seems to bit sitting/sprayed.
    I pulled the tank off tonight to start having a poke around but lacking in light in the shed so will have a look tomorrow afternoon. Again any suggestions or common spots let me know.

They both run really good and im looking forwards to learning the ins and outs of these old machines.
    Any suggestions of reliability mods that should be done to these things to help prevent future problems, Obviously the basics will be done oil water batt etc. but any other common problems please fire away.

Anyway enough dribble from me heres some dodgy phone pics of the two bikes but I'm sure you all know what they look like

http://s16.postimg.org/cpscj5pap/honda.jpg

http://s16.postimg.org/jhirm0ea9/image_3.jpg

qqc
    few more questions to bore you all with. Is it fine to use delo 400 as a motor oil in these bikes? have used it in the past in old bikes and liked the results, also do you need a replacement oring when changing the thermostat?

Welcome from another Aussie.

Have you found the http://www.australiancx.asn.au/forum...p?action=forum yet?

There is a lot of local(ish) help and information there, and a good bunch of people.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

qqc
    I have tried to join multiple times and gave up as i keep getting a verification error when i try to register

Are you trying to join up using the same user name as here? I can give Kathy your user name and IP and see if she can help if you like.

I'd probably need your email.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/CXPHREAK/library/Switchgear%20rebuild?sort=6&page=1

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page

Welcome aboard mate! Regarding email (above) be sure to truncate it if you post it openly on the forum, i.e. doe.john AT gmail dot com. That way spam bots can't latch onto you.

There is a lot of great information in the WIKI *see link below* to help you sort through the check list you have. Looks like you have a couple nice bikes!

Joel in the Couve
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

G-Loria's Story I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands.
    Forum Settings that everyone should make
    Photo posting tips!

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Hi! From Socal!
    81 Honda GL500
    Aint nothin but a thang!

qqc
    pm sent thanks for the help most appreciated

Dale

qqc
    Have had a fare old read through how to's and the wiki. Ive found my oil leak its pissing out the top of the right hand side tappet cover and you can see the gasket or seal looks to be rolled under the joining surface. I will have to track down some new gaskets or seals including the inner one and while there off I will give them a paint as all the chrome is peeling off.

Gave the old girl an oil change filled it up with delo 400 diesel oil 15w-40 :/ Don't know if thats a good thing or not lol. Had a bit of a look at the clutch ajustment, let the adjustment all the way out to give the most free play possible in the lever and it still slips when you really give it some herbs so off with the clutch cover when I get a chance.

Greetings from Canada!
    Land of perpetual freaking winter - well this year it seems that way.

Welcome to the forum

John
    1979 CX500 Deluxe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links