My 82 GL500I Restoration. - Page 2
Close
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: My 82 GL500I Restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Fox View Post
    Great job, Larry. What did you use on the inner side of the fairing? Did you paint it? I have some areas that don't match on one of mine, and can't quite figure the best way to blend it together.

Have you ever tried taking a non-faded piece like the rear cowl to a auto paint shop and have them do a computer match to the color? I did a couple and they were amazingly close, but maybe not a perfect match. For a full repaint, you probably couldn't tell the difference, but if you were touching up just a small area it could be noticeable.

Third, and most important. How did you convince your wife that this wasn't just going to be a quick splash and sell?
    Blue,

First of all I cleaned and scuffed the inside of the fairing with a red 3M scuff pad. Then it got all taped off and a coat of Adhesion promoter for plastic sprayed on to the bare plastic. The black paint I used is by SEM It's made to be exposed to the elements and holds up great. A few light coats is all it takes to return the inside of the fairing to a new look. Mine had a couple streaks in it from some chemicals.

We tried the computer matching. It was fairly close, but not perfect. So really it was more me than the paint not being close. It just wasn't perfect. I really don't think the guy mixing it had enough experience. I caught him using another candy color chart to cheat off from. Since I'm doing a full paint job now it would probably work and look great. Don't make me think to hard or I may change my mind again.

Lastly, I'm not sure she was ever convinced of that. I think she just gives in and throws up her hands in defeat. I really believed I could do a quick cleanup and let it go. You would think I should know myself better than that by now.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    How do you get decals off to re-use or do you buy new ones from Honda?
    Tony, the decals are pretty tough and hold up well when they come off as long as there are no cuts or scrapes in them. I just peel the edge of them up with a new box knife blade, then I heat them up with a heat gun and peal them up. Press them down onto a sheet of wax paper and put them inside a book to keep them flat until you put them back on. Spray the back side of them with 3M spray adhesive or use double sided tape and reinstall them.
    "If you're going to do something, "Do It Right" don't do it half assed"

My Carb rebuild book link>>> Book order link HERE <<<

78 CX500std.,GL650I sold, 79 cx500D sold, 78 CX500 restoration complete sold,
    79 CX500 Std. currently being restored.
    Next restoration will be an 84 CX650E. Many more waiting to get on the lift.

Winter lowers order link.

Beautiful work Larry. You really found a gem indeed. For the record, I'm NOT the Joel that provided the speaker set up.

Joel in the Couve
    G-Loria's Story including Part III > I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands. Part III included at the end of the link.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

TAPATALK USERS--
    Please go into the Tapatalk app's settings and turn off the "auto signature" feature. Thank You.

That just goes to show that you read the whole post Joel. But no it wasn't you. I actually haven't heard much out of the Joel I was referring to. He's probably still busy setting up his garage after his big move.

So, not too many opinions on the color choice. I was hoping for a little input on that. But I guess I'll just have to go at it and see what it looks like when it's done.

I did what felt like another sin today. I pulled the fairing apart and took off the decals in preparation for sanding. It took me an hour of staring at it before I actually just hit it with the scraper. Funny part was that I think I even closed my eyes as I did it. It felt like I was killing something. Oh well.... now I'm committed to the core I guess.

If anybody is interested in more pictures, Heres the link to my bucket account for it.
    "If you're going to do something, "Do It Right" don't do it half assed"

My Carb rebuild book link>>> Book order link HERE <<<

78 CX500std.,GL650I sold, 79 cx500D sold, 78 CX500 restoration complete sold,
    79 CX500 Std. currently being restored.
    Next restoration will be an 84 CX650E. Many more waiting to get on the lift.

Winter lowers order link.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

The other Joel has just been working on setting up his house and waiting for summer. He comes on every once in a while.
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 78,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

Gorgeous work Larry, she will be stunning when done and the green will probably sell better than the ruby red would have...

David
    David
    stuck in the curvy backroads of Upper East Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by LRCXed View Post
    Each and every nut bolt and part was polished if it needed it, and or hand rubbed to get the little bit of oxidation off it with hand cleaning compounds.

C'mon, Larry, you've NEVER met a nut, bolt, etc. that you didn't think needed polishing!

Great work so far, and thank you so much for sharing it with us via the pics, keep them coming.
    1978 CX500 X 2
    1982 GL500I

I live on a one-way street that's also a dead end. I'm not sure how I got here, or how I'm going to get out.

Four wheels move the body; Two wheels move the Soul.

Larry I love you man The attention to detail....why not make those nuts and bolts shine, you're absolutely right...it's too easy not to do !

So wow...this all came into your lap simply because someone tried to tune it up and then when cleaning the carbs he got the jets mixed up years ago, couldn't figure that out and gave up !

Wow

I also agree with cleaning and repainting that swing arm/centerstand area....when it warms up I'm gonna pull the rear wheel and do that. The top/backside of that centerstand (looking from the rear) looks like a water trap to me, it has a couple drain holes but I can see why they get a little rusty.

OH and Larry the kickstand and center stand springs....if ya hit them with a SS wire brush to get all the loose dirt and oxidation off of them then put some POLISH on and rub it off then those springs shine like chrome.....TRUST ME

LMAO

Larry you do beautiful work...I figured out that you could take a rock and make a diamond out of it...it is a very rare talent you have there..

The real question is - when can I drop off my bike??
    Couchy - GL500I - 1982-2012 - RIP
    New ride: 1995 BMW K75s

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links