My 82 GL500I Restoration. - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: My 82 GL500I Restoration.

Thanks for the complements guys, It makes me feel better about the work I put into these bikes. I just hope all this sanding is over soon. 16 parts to get ready is a PITA since 15 of them are plastic. I keep thinking of Dakota and how impatient she was getting last year when her bike was being done. I felt for the guy knowing how much prep time it takes.

Rick, don't start with me buddy. I'm already thinking of pulling the calipers back off and polishing those too. Hmmm, the kickstand too .... thinking ...

I love you too man. Did you see that the rim edges were polished on this one too. Oh crap, the rear brake plate may need to be done now too since the bike isn't going to be OEM stock anymore. PULLING hair out! Where does it end!

I usually DO polish all the springs. But at first I was trying to keep this one as stock as possible. I guess that's out the door now though.

drneo, I love you're avatar pic. It goes with the question you asked.

You do know they have delivery trucks that you could send the bike on! OR, you could use your bike as a trade in on this one!

Well, off to make dust again. I would like to get the fairing in primer today.
    "If you're going to do something, "Do It Right" don't do it half assed"

My Carb rebuild book link>>> Book order link HERE <<<

78 CX500std.,GL650I sold, 79 cx500D sold, 78 CX500 restoration complete sold,
    79 CX500 Std. currently being restored.
    Next restoration will be an 84 CX650E. Many more waiting to get on the lift.

Winter lowers order link.

Larry,

As I've said before, craftsmen like you who have this kind of attention to detail and just "do it right" are becoming fewer and farther between. You obviously take pride in what you do, and it shows. Kudos.
    Scott

Current Scoots:

2012 BMW K1600 GTL

2012 883 Sportster Roland Sands custom "Lucky13 bike"

2012 Ducati Monster EVO 1100

'08 Big Dog Pitbull

'79 CX500 Deluxe (Larry build)

Past:

'09 BMW R1200R

'09 BMW K1200 LT

'08 Victory Vision

'06 Yamaha FJR1300

'03 BMW K1200 LT

'02 Gold Wing 1800

'98 Yamaha Roadstar

'96 GoldWing 1500

'77 GoldWing 1000

'79 Honda CX500

Thanks Breeze. Like I told you in the emails about the CX, I probably wouldn't be done with this one before you were moved. I'm not sure anymore if it's Craftsmanship or Addiction! I think one goes with the other.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

The world would be a much better place if there were more men like you. Excellent work, top notch, and a great inspiration.
    4 CX500s...2 are in pieces and the other 2 are a work in progress...Build thread http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/top...c-is-for-cafe/

Just this morning I was sitting out there thinking about polish the edges of the wheels like that and wondered what it would look like......that's A LOT of work....trying to be very careful so as not to slide off the edge with the sandpaper and scuff the inside part of the rim that you want to keep black would make it a very tedious job.

It would really just be a matter of sanding that clear coat off.....then polishing right ?

That's an easy one Rick, I just covered the black section with a couple layers of masking tape. The edge of you're rims aren't anodized, so they polish up pretty nice. I'm sure you have a good drill with a polishing wheel. Sand the edge down with 320 or 400 and start out with the brown polishing compound. Then clean the polishing wheel off and finish up with the green. JUST DO IT RICK! You won't be sorry!

Well Larry, My hat is off to you. First off, I can't tell you how much I love soda blasting over glass beads. I only pull the beads out if I have a heavy corrosion problem. 2nd, thanks for explaining how you refinished the inside of the fairing, I was just going to leave Heinz 57 alone, but since you have posted this I am now ashamed to even take her out in public. I do have a question, how did you strip the plastic, Just sand paper or did you use some sort of chemical stripper? What paint did you use for the engine? It looks like duplicolor hi-temp engine paint in cast aluminum. They also have just plain "aluminum" color, One is yellower than the other. Thanks for the nice hi resolution pics, If you don't mind I'd like to save them for my archives. There is nothing better than having a nice hi res pic while your rebuilding. I finished my KZ440 with help from Dave and pictures of his wife's 440. I would never have been able to finish it with out them.

How long does the polish last? If your polishing the rims, are you clear coating them after or leaving them raw. On a last note, that is a very nice CB450.

Can I be your apprentice? I promise I won't flood the workshop. I'll even give you free flying lessons.

A
    hondawing likes this.

OK, the plastic stripping is two fold. The only parts that can withstand chemical strippers are the front and rear fenders. They won't melt with the harsh solvents.

The rest of the body panels have to be sanded down OR glass beaded. Blasting them takes a while though and it has to be done at about a 45 degree angle. Otherwise the beads just bounce off the plastics. It took an hour to bead blast 1 side cover. Sanding them is a lot faster. But you end up with no finger prints while you sand all the crevices to make sure the new paint sticks well. Just to give you an idea, I have been sanding on the fairing for more than 4 hours today. And that's with air sanders as well as a lot of hand finger sanding.

The engine was done with the Duplicolor engine enamel like you suspected. To add a bit more protection you can put a coat of the clear Duplicolor engine enamel over the top of the aluminum. Just be sure you do it within a half hour of the last coat of aluminum. Otherwise it will wrinkle itself up and you will have to start over.

After I polish aluminum I leave it raw and use MAAS polish on the parts. It's the best I have found to protect the finish and keep the elements from corroding the shine. I stored 2 bikes for over 2 years outside under covers while I rebuilt my house from a fire. When I got back to work on them the one that had the MAAS on the parts was still in nice condition. The other bike needed to be re polished. Spraying clear on them has always made the parts look dull. I have a new clear coat I'm going to try some day, but for now, raw and protected is the best solution.

I wish you were closer. I used to fly a weedhopper ultralight before it got stolen years ago. I have always wanted to learn to fly. But it's always been a choice of what I would like vs what the family needed. The family always won out! I still have the motor from the plane. So I at least know the guy had to spend money to be able to fly it.

I might be coming closer. I am looking at a small house, just two bedrooms, with a huge garage, in Hollister. I believe that the previous owner was a like minded individual because the garage is plumbed for air. It's not too expensive and its close to family. Just have to get the "business" over with. Keep taking pictures because that inspires me and also shows me the way.

Al

Well, I guess in an airplane that is pretty close. Definitely let me know when you move up this way.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links