My 82 GL500I Restoration.
Close

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: My 82 GL500I Restoration.

August 31 2010 I picked up this 82 GL500I off craigs list. I went to look at it and it turned out it was a guy I had worked with for more than 20 years before I retired. Small world. Anyway, it looked ok, was dirty of coarse and it didn't run on both cylinders. So what I said to myself. It had a few dents and scrapes from being moved around and knocked over during it's stored life. I went home to think about it for a while. LOL, 5 minutes later I was in my truck with the tools I need to check out the motor and clean up the low jets in the carbs. About 45 minutes after I got there I had it running better so I knew it wasn't anything major. So the deal was made and I loaded it in the truck. After a quick rinse I was surprised and pleased at what was in front of me.

Well, as most of you know I can't leave things alone no matter how much I try to convince myself to just do the basics and leave it go at that. So after I rebuilt the carbs so it ran right again I set out to clean it up and get it ready to sell. That was the deal I made with the little woman in order to buy it. Clean it up and sell it! 2 days later it was apart and scattered all over the garage.

As I got into it I started to notice things were in very nice condition. Even the exhaust pipe connections were free of any rust. Even the water bottle didn't have any rust stains in it. I started to gain a little more respect for what I had. Oh, I forgot to mention it only had 11K on it. With a bit more interest I called the guy I bought it from and found out that the bike had never been ridden or stored out in the weather. The original owner had tried to tune it up but couldn't get it running right, (the jets were in the wrong spots) so it just sat for years until he gave it to my friends son because he was moving out of state.

Here's a crappy video I took with one of those cheap cameras I bought off ebay. Sorry, but it does show how good this was when I got it. Hope it works!

[media]http://s325.photobucket.com/albums/k378/LRCXed/82%20GL500I/?action=view&current=SUNP0002.mp4[/media]

When I got the motor out I sealed it up and soda blaster the entire thing so I could make it look good again. It's much faster than trying to scrape and sand it. With the motor clean I took the rear cover off to see what was up inside it.

WOW was all I could say when it came off. No corrosion, no sludge and only a tiny bit of leakage from the mechanical and oil seal. The trail from the oil seal leaking didn't even make it all the way down inside the bottom of the rear case. And NO cam chain ware on the case.

Here's another attempt at a video of the inside of the engine.

[media]http://s325.photobucket.com/albums/k378/LRCXed/82%20GL500I/?action=view&current=GL500engine.mp4[/media]

After Installing the new seals and gaskets I buttoned it all up, polished and painted the engine.

Then the front end got rebuilt, new fork seals then polished along with a full rebuild of the brakes and MC. No surprise there that they needed nothing more than a cleanup. New seals went in them anyway. It's hard to see in this picture but the edge of the rim is polished too.

Now with all that done, all I had to do was service the rear suspension and put it all back together. This was going to be a quick cleanup. Ya right! Well I started looking at how nice this bike was going to end up being and couldn't leave it alone. I pulled the rear suspension off along with all the electrics and air box so I could wipe it all down and make it pretty. It really wasn't that hard to do. And I figured this bike really deserved it.

OK, it's ALL cleaned up and ready to go back together. Hmmm, is that a little rust and faded paint I see in the center stand area? Yep!

How in the world would ANYONE ever respect this bike with THAT on there! You guessed it, I COULDN'T leave it alone! I TRIED REALLY! Soooo, the bike got dismantled the rest of the way. All sanded down and ready for a new coat of automotive black urethane paint. That should make it better right!

NOW it's ready to go bake together!
    johnste1960 likes this.
    "If you're going to do something, "Do It Right" don't do it half assed"

My Carb rebuild book link>>> Book order link HERE <<<

78 CX500std.,GL650I sold, 79 cx500D sold, 78 CX500 restoration complete sold,
    79 CX500 Std. currently being restored.
    Next restoration will be an 84 CX650E. Many more waiting to get on the lift.

Winter lowers order link.

With all the suspension and frame painted it was a pleasure to finally be started putting this bike back together. Each and every nut bolt and part was polished if it needed it, and or hand rubbed to get the little bit of oxidation off it with hand cleaning compounds. Oh, I forgot to tell you, even the rear brake shoes had not been fully seated in. There was still sections at each end that were not worn off from the factory shaping.

Even the rear shock showed no signs of leaking. It still had 45 lbs of air in it too.

So on it went. Assembly went smooth. All the electrical connections were greased with dielectric so they stayed good for years to come. And every thread on every bolt was wire wheeled so any signs of age were removed. Again, it really wasn't that hard to clean up each component of the wonderfully preserved specimen.

And yes, if you were wondering, all the factory decals were removed and reinstalled.

WOW, I finally got it back together and running. So I set out to find a PERFECT tank to replace the dented one and a nicer front fender that wasn't faded. First tank I bought should have been listed as a spaghetti colander. It had so many rust holes in it that I couldn't believe the guy said it was sound in his listing. Money refunded, I moved on to find another one.

In the mean time, I worked with the paint shop day after day while we tried to come up with a perfect paint match for the 3 stage candy muse red color. Weeks went on with several attempts. I can't count how many test panels I sprayed with all the attempts at coming up with a match. Very time consuming and frustrating. This is one of the test carbs with 5 attempts in one week.

OK on to the tank replacement. I bought another one. I asked the guy every question I could think of to cover my needs for a perfect tank. It all sounded good so I did the buy it now. The next morning just as I woke up I remembered a question I had forgotten to ask. WAS IT FADED OUT! Well it got here and yes it was faded all across the top. You can see how bad it was under where the decal had been removed. At least the tank was fairly spotless inside. That was a big + compared to the first tank.

So with more waiting at hand I went into getting the fairing cleaned up and ready. I took every tiny part out and completely hand rubbed them back to OEM appearance. Again, it didn't take a lot. It was just time consuming. But well deserved for this bike.

I don't have a picture of it yet but there is now a full factory Clarion stereo system in the fairing too thanks to a trade with Showmedude. I had even gotten a set of speakers from Joel that had the factory pattern to drill the fairing for the speaker installation. Thanks guys for the help with this part of it.

With the bike all back together and the fairing on it, the time had come to make a decision for the paint. I could spend $500 for a quart of red and a pint of the base coat from Colorite, or I could throw in the towel and paint the entire bike a different color. After Jeremy's bike build and a few more weeks went by while I decided. Then came 10 carb rebuilds and learning how to Mod the forum. It took my mind off the task of painting. It turns out that wasn't such a bad thing though. As much as I hated doing it, when the time came I decided to go a totally different direction. I took the bike back apart and stripped every single part of the body panels. Just yesterday I finished getting everything primed, block sanded, sealed and sanded with 400 grit. Trust me when I tell you it was hard to take some of those perfectly preserved parts down and start over. They were so nice! Oh well, to a new beginning.

One of the side covers needed a new tab. Thanks to Plastifix that wasn't to difficult.

So here it sits all prepped out and ready to paint. 2 weeks worth of work and no fingerprints left from all the sanding.

Today I have to take the fairing back off and dismantle it again so I can get it ready to paint. When all the dusty work is done I'll take the shop apart and get things cleaned up for painting. Oh, another thing I forgot. I also built a paint booth during this time. It has a filtration system in it too. That took a couple weeks in itself with all the lapped joints I had to cut into the frame.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

As I said, I'm going to go into a totally different direction than I have ever seen on a GL. It's going to be painted in a color I used on a restoration I did in 05. It's a Porsche green metallic. Along with that I'm going to do the strips with green variegated gold leaf and pin stripping on the edges. Not sure what color pin stripes yet though.

Please don't blame me for the seat color. That was the owners idea. YUK!

So, that's what I have been up to with this QUICK cleanup and sell. NOT.

When this is done I'm hoping it's accepted well. What do you think?

Larry
    Needles likes this.

Shoot, Larry can take a basket case and turn it into something that looks brand new. :-)

I do like the color but I already chose GM Gulf Blue Metallic Effect with a hair more metalflake and a tiny amount of more pearl.
    1979 CX500 Custom - restored to almost original condition. I'm waiting to get strong enough to return to work so I can finish all the painting prep and priming, then I'll take the tank and sides out to Old Okie's shop where the bike is and shoot the color, clear, apply decals and final clear then polish it to a perfect gloss.

I also have the tendency to misspell or add things later to a post so check again a bit later.

â€*Click here to e-mail me

I'm considering having the paint mixed with a coarser metallic too. I'll know more when I spray the test colors I'm going to have them mix up next week. But what ever we end up with the formula will be logged so it will be replaceable if the owner ever needs to repair the paint.

Blues are nice but I already did one that way. I like to try new things.

Sentimental value here, same color as my pace car that was virtually totaled by an uninsured driver. I kept going between a red & a blue but what with all the polishing that has been done I figured the blue would be better. Still have the car but not the money to restore it.

http://www.grandprix.net/limited/#replica

Of course I somewhat modified mine, conservatively 350 HP & 400 lb*ft of torque. I could run high 12's in the 1/4.
    1979 CX500 Custom - restored to almost original condition. I'm waiting to get strong enough to return to work so I can finish all the painting prep and priming, then I'll take the tank and sides out to Old Okie's shop where the bike is and shoot the color, clear, apply decals and final clear then polish it to a perfect gloss.

I also have the tendency to misspell or add things later to a post so check again a bit later.

â€*Click here to e-mail me

Great job, Larry. What did you use on the inner side of the fairing? Did you paint it? I have some areas that don't match on one of mine, and can't quite figure the best way to blend it together.

Have you ever tried taking a non-faded piece like the rear cowl to a auto paint shop and have them do a computer match to the color? I did a couple and they were amazingly close, but maybe not a perfect match. For a full repaint, you probably couldn't tell the difference, but if you were touching up just a small area it could be noticeable.

Third, and most important. How did you convince your wife that this wasn't just going to be a quick splash and sell?
    1983 GL650I, 1980 CX500, 1974 CB350F, 1973 CT90

Need information? Try our new Wiki site: http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Larry, you are amazing. And you make it all sound so easy! Most of us would spend 5 years on such an undertaking, and it still wouldn't look as good.
    '92 BMW K75RT

'83 Honda GL650 SilverWing Interstate (sold)

'82 Honda GL500 SilverWing Interstate (sold)

'77 Kawasaki KZ650 (sold)

Motorcycle Gang Blog

Deer Hunting Blog

How do you get decals off to re-use or do you buy new ones from Honda?

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links