Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Dubious Ebay site for Honda Keys

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Trailltrader 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any insight about this guy? Ebay name bel-ray64083 (bel-ray64083 on eBay)

He has crazy good reviews and claims to be able to make replacement keys for ANY honda (motorcycle, ATV, Jetski, you name it) as long as you have the key code.

The Ebay page is here: Honda-Motorcycle-ATV-New-Replacement-Keys-Cut-by-Code-Number-Guaranteed to work

I lost my only key for my bike and im trying to find a hassle-free replacement, any other suggestions would be appreciated

Also, does anyone know exactly where to find the code? The site says to check the lock cylinder but some first hand experience would be nice :D

#2 ·
Just go to a Honda bike shop with the key cylinder your registration and ID and they will make you one.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Swervin you could also go to any competent locksmith . When I lost my only key a few months back, I own a gli500 the lock on the fairing had the code on it to make the key. I would rather have a local smith before doing the flea bay IMO :)

#5 ·
I just took the key cylinder out, I plan on going to a local Honda dealer tomorrow. Thanks for the advice, the dealer is probably a way better choice than having to wait around for an Ebay guy to do what any local locksmith could.

#6 ·
(speaking as a locksmith) The first place I'd go would be the helmet lock- key could should be stamped on the barrel of the lock (yes, this means disassembly) second is the ignition switch- pull it out, give it to a locksmith and they should be able to make a factory original

#8 · (Edited)
I did this as well. That is, I carried in the entire lock. The locksmith "impressioned" the lock. Two keys for $12. It worked fine, and I'm quite happy with the result. For better or worse, though, it's not quite the same as a factory code-cut key.

The "better" is that the key is made to fit the lock as-is, worn wafers and all.

The "worse"? it's obvious to look at the shape of the cuts that it's not a code cut key. Instead of equal angle slopes between flats, it has all angles represented in a wavy cut.

I don't know whether my experience is typical. Perhaps the locksmith among us can comment on the quality of an impressioned key vs a code cut?

#11 ·
Remember people- tack this to your garage wall: "A COPY OF A WORN KEY= A WORN KEY" If you're paying a locksmith to make a new key from scratch then they should provide factory original.

Never, ever use a key made by impressioning. That blade is weak, and you can imagine the headaches- and bill you'll pay- if it snaps off in the ignition.

I know of a few less than,,,,reputable locksmiths who give them that key then double their profits a few months later when it breaks off,,,,,

#12 ·
I got the key cut from a Honda dealer today, it works pretty well but its a little touchy. Then again he didnt even charge me for the key, or ask for proof of ownership, so I have absolutely no complaints :)

Also, I was finally able to hear my bike run for the first time, such a satisfying sound :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.