Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hello Guys,

My friend suggested that I check my cam chain and look at setting my valves.

My bike runs pretty good and overall I don't really have any problems with it. (This is my first bike so maybe I don't know any better though)

Anyways, I was reading through the reference here:

http://www.sheppola.karoo.net/Twiste...tm#CXGLTappets

and it is obviously for the CX500 bikes but was wondering if I can still follow these guidelines for my bike?

I'm assuming the measurements for the feeler guages are different for the CX650 correct?

I will have to check my manual tonight but I think I have the CX650 C manual and not the E.

Inlet: 0.0039"

Exhaust:0.0047"

I just want to be sure I don't screw anything up on my bike that already runs pretty good.

I guess another question is should I really be doing this if my bike is running good?

I've rode the bike almost 10,000 km now since I bought it and the bike has a total of about 50,000 km and I don't know much about the history of maitenance.

How often should the cam chain be inspected?

I also read something about self-adjusting cam chain? Does the CX650 E have a self adjusting cam chain?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Cheers,

Jonathan in Waterloo.
    1983 CX 650 E

+ parts bike

Auto tensioner for the cam chain, and yes use the 650c specs for valve clearances. The E wasn't sold in the US so info on it is missing from the service manuals we find here.
    GL650 Interstate: 68,000 km

Age 39

This may seem ridiculously obvious, but just a word of warning: be sure not to get your mm and inch specs mixed up. You quoted a spec for inches... and of course you're in Canada, so your feeler gauges may be metric. Most gauge sets I've seen indicate their value in both mm & inches... but it's easy to get it mixed up if it's your first time and you're concentrating on other thing.

Good luck.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!" -Red Green

'79 CX500 Deluxe

'96 BMW R1100RT

Thanks for the feedback guys.

So no adjustment to the cam is needed if it auto adjusts BUT what about inspecting it for wear?

With less than 50,000 km there isn't likely to be a problem I assume.
    1983 CX 650 E

+ parts bike

There's no real way to inspect and Auto so just keep your ears open for any engine noises that shouldn't be there.The cam chains will start to give a warning rattle and that's the,"Shot across the bows".

The bottom sound on here is that nasty last legs sound and possible engine failure already,

http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl500/noises.htm

Pre-emptive oil and coolant changes go a long way to increase the longevity of these engines as does a good routine maintenance regime.

Your plugs can tell you how the engine/combustion is doing and the temp gauge how the cooling system is doing.Never rely on the coolant overflow bottle to reflect the proper coolant level in the engine.

Also according the Addendum in my manuals your Tappet gaps are the same as the 500s and IIRC the cam chains,if replacement is required,are the same.
    If you change your carburettors or oil filter housing or make any modification to your Motorcycle without informing your insurancecompany you ain't got jack shit on medical if you have and accident

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

So no adjustment to the cam is needed if it auto adjusts BUT what about inspecting it for wear?

With less than 50,000 km there isn't likely to be a problem I assume.
    Jonathan,when you get to 50,000 miles,start getting prepared,an auto adjuster could be in need of a little help
    1981 GL500 , UK MODEL,needing a bit of tender loving care

1982 GL500 , UK MODEL,my daily ride.

Andalucia,in the south of spain

aka spanish bandit

@Bandit,

What do you mean by a little help? Do you mean you think the cam chain may need replacing? Or do you mean the auto adjuster (no idea what that really is) needs replacing or a check?

I plan on touring long distance on the bike this summer... Should I just change the tensioner to be safe, theres about 48,000 Kilometers on the bike, which only translates to 30,000 miles.

Can anyone on here with a CX 650 E tell me if/when they changed their cam chain?

@Shep

My temperature gauge always reads well, the fan rarely goes on unless i'm in stop and go traffic on a really hot day.

What did you mean by don't rely on the coolant reservoir to measure whether coolant is at the right level?

How else should I measure proper coolant levels? I always did wonder if it is bad that I find my coolant will turn a light brown colour after time in the reservoir. I flushed the coolant at the beginning of last season when I first bought the bike. What does this mean?

I don't have any coolant or oil leaks that I know of.

The light brown coolant colour does sound bad because it makes it seem like oil potentially may be getting in the coolant cycle.

Although I never really notice a drop in oil levels.

Thanks for the help again guys

I know I sound like a noob but this is only my second year of owning and riding a bike and all your expertise is greatly appreciated.
    1983 CX 650 E

+ parts bike

@Bandit,

What do you mean by a little help? Do you mean you think the cam chain may need replacing? Or do you mean the auto adjuster (no idea what that really is) needs replacing or a check?

I plan on touring long distance on the bike this summer... Should I just change the tensioner to be safe, theres about 48,000 Kilometers on the bike, which only translates to 30,000 miles.

Can anyone on here with a CX 650 E tell me if/when they changed their cam chain?
    in my opinion,50k miles seems to be about the standard life of a camchain.you will not have to replace the auto.adjuster,just reset it.at 30k miles,id guess youl be fine.enjoy your ride

http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/.../ShowPost.aspx

aka spanish bandit

@ Bandit,

What do you mean by reset the auto adjuster at 30k miles?
    1983 CX 650 E

+ parts bike

@ Bandit,

What do you mean by reset the auto adjuster at 30k miles?
    sorry if i confused you.not at 30k miles,but when you do replace the chain......

your adjuster normally does not wear out.

but,on replacing a chain.which is shorter than your old one.youl need to reset the adjuster,its quite easy.there is a good picture in the haynes manual.it takes 2 minutes.nothing to worry about at this stage

aka spanish bandit

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors