Honda CX 500 Forum banner

gel seat pads

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  dccoleman 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried them for long hiway trips and how do you like them?

#2 ·
They don't work for me but of course YMMV. The problem is you can't move the pressure points around by shifting your position like you can on a conventional seat. The same applies to the Airhawk pads.

#3 ·
I too am looking for suggestions for seat comfort. MY 82 GL500I has an oddly shaped original two piece seat and the rear is no worse than most of the day but the front has me sitting on my tail bone and after 100-200 miles I am really done. I am comparing it to my 84 Goldwing so it is an unfair comparison but I purchased a set of replacement Saddlemen seat skins and want to tweak the foam a bit if anyone has suggestions I would be grateful.
Thanks

#8 ·
I'll be the odd monkey and state that had I not bought my Gel Pad for G-Loria, the trip from Larry's would have been miserable. I liked having it, and I could scootch around enough to keep the position fresh over 600 miles I think it was a GelPro, around $90. This picture shows it up after a wash, not in the proper position for riding.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

#10 ·
Its those two bones at the base of the pelvis that get sore for long periods in the saddle-Some time back I was embarking on a 5000+
kilometre ride,I removed part of the seat cover to access the foam,I marked where these two bum bones rest on the foam and cut out 2 circles about 75mm in diam in the foam,I then inserted two rounds of softer foam in the holes and put the cover back on.With the existing heavier foam surrounding the softer stuff you still get the same firm support and the inserts give you the comfort.I did not suffer any sore bum problems on the whole trip.

#15 · (Edited)
When I recovered my seat a couple of years ago I did this as well, but instead of two rounds of softer foam I used two rounds cut from a gel pad, covered with carpet underlayment memory foam. I also used some upholsterer's glue to add the foam I removed from the "two round holes" so as to widen the saddle a bit. Now my seat looks the same, but feels comfortable all day.

By the way, I have a buddy who has some severe sciatica. He bought an Airhawk and his problems have gone away.

#12 ·
I have a Air Hawk pad, love it. You can adjust the amount of air in the pad. It is not just a pillow, it has chambers inside the you can see. I would get another in a minute.
JMO. You can send me a PM if you want to know more. They are pricy.
Ev
MI
GL500i

#13 ·
The Airhawk-2 is great! The secret to using it is that less air means more comfort. Also you have the option to vary the pressure from time to time on a long ride which helps.

#14 ·
In 2014 I spent 6 months on the road traveled 16000 miles and traveled in pure comfort with a sheepskin cover on my seat from "Blacksheep Trading Company" I also slipped an additional 2 inches of soft foam under it due to a prostate condition. And by the way this was on a Gold Wing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.