Upgrading/updating my CX500...what else should I get while Im at it?
Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Upgrading/updating my CX500...what else should I get while Im at it?

Upgrading/updating my CX500...what else should I get while Im at it?

Hi all!

Ok, so at the end of the month, with taxes, im buying new carbs off of Murray. Im also going to get everything he has to offer. He sent me a very detailed email, so not too many questions there.

The only thing I didnt expect was that I'd have to buy a new exhaust. Any tips on that? I want the exhaust to mount in the same place that the stock exhaust mounts. I dont care so much for looks.

Right now, on my poorly tuned carbs, my bike hustles at only about 55 tops...I dont actually know because I havnt installed the durn speedometer part yet.
    Remember how some people use shoe goo to fix the vacuum leaks in their manifold rubber? I used that. Worked great. Till my throttle cable snapped, and in repairing that I messed up the stock petcock, which leaked gasoline onto the shoe goo, which dissolves in gasoline lol.

I cant wait to upgrade!

My ignition switch is shot. Its the original, and its gotten to the point that, the other night the keys actually bounced out and fell onto the ground while I was going 45 down the road...in the dark. Lol.
    I think theres a emgo or something kind of replacement switch I could pick up for the CB's right? Just like in the youtube video?
    I was also thinking that while I was replacing the rods in the spark plug caps, and I had the seat and tank off to replace the carbs, and I would be replacing the Ignition switch, I might as well as tidy up the wiring. Taking the air box out of the bike will free up a lot of room. Could I run a bunch of wires through there, that usually run across the frame? I was thinking of adding the ignition switch and new fuse block either in that gap left by the air box's absence, or somewhere close.
    I love the empty space look, but I think I want to mount the side covers on some how.

My front end needs the seals replaced, but I was thinking about swapping front ends entirely to some sort of dual front braking system.
    I want to keep stock handlebars, but we'll see.
    I want to put the windjammer fairing and the bates bags back on.
    Oh! Where can I get heavy duty springs for the clutch?

Any other suggestions, besides, you know, fluid changes?

Thanks!
    1979 CX500D

Suggestions?
    Keep working on it, you will eventually get it done to the point where you can just ride it for a while before you decide to work on something else.
    Pretty typical.
    Don't be an idiot !

Current: '03 Kawasaki ZZR1200, '84 Kawasaki GPZ900R, '84 VF500F Interceptor, '83 GL650I, '81 CX500C, '82 GL500I project, '81 CX500C basket case, '79 CB750LTD, '85 CB700SC, '01 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, '72 Yamaha G7S

what year is your bike

if its a pre 82 plugging in a cb anything ignition switch will create a short

if you have a cdi bike and it wont go over 50 you should run the stator test to make sure your ignition is good

here is the clutch springs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-CSK-Clut...ZYgBBm&vxp=mtr
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

George Fix has the CDI compatible ignition switch on eBay. I bought one from him last year. It's a direct replacement.

R
    10th Annual Minnesota Spring Ride and Barbecue - Saturday, May 13, 2017
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1978 CX500 Standard - The Grub

1981 GL500 Basket case -> AdventureWing (Dual-sport conversion in progress) - Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

1979 CX500 Deluxe rolling chassis -> Hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by murrayf View Post
    what year is your bike

if its a pre 82 plugging in a cb anything ignition switch will create a short

if you have a cdi bike and it wont go over 50 you should run the stator test to make sure your ignition is good

here is the clutch springs

EBC CSK Clutch Springs fits Honda CX500C Custom 1979-1982 | eBay
    Its a '79, but I really think its poorly tuned carbs and vacuum leaks causing the top speed to drop. Also, I just replaced the petcock, which was leaking, and I think Its running better now. Only one night so far but it feels better.
    When I put the bike up, it ran tip top at about 91mph, and when I finally got it out of storage its like it was in a time capsule or something, no additional rust or anything. Heck, even the carbs were relatively clean.

I guess I could do the stator test...I know its charging the battery heh.

Oh, I couldve been going about 55, but Im not sure. Couldve been just the traffic was hustling past me. Rpms in 5th was 6k.
    Also, me weighing 380lbs probably factors in.

Hm, never thought that an ignition switch would mess up the bike.
    1979 CX500D

Quote Originally Posted by basimpo View Post
    Hm, never thought that an ignition switch would mess up the bike.
    The CDI bikes in the series are wired differently than the TI type ('82 CX500C, GL500, the 650s), which use the same switch as the Goldwings and CBs. This includes opposite polarity in the run/kill circuit. The connector is the same, but the pinout is also wrong.

R
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1981 GL500 Basket case -> AdventureWing (Dual-sport conversion in progress) - Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by Randall-in-Mpls View Post
    George Fix has the CDI compatible ignition switch on eBay. I bought one from him last year. It's a direct replacement.

R
    Wading through the murky swamp of my memory, I think George Fix didn't have the CDI ignition switch, but he pointed me to a seller who did.

Check with George first, though. He might have them in stock now.

R

Ignition switch for CDI CX500 can be had at Niche Cycles......new replacement
    MobileAZN likes this.
    1983 CX650E will restore

1981 CX500 Custome Cafe Brat thingy

1979 CX500 Deluxe (currently being Cafe'd/Brat)

1973 CB750 K3 (need to restore)

Wow I'm glad I talked to y'all before pulling the trigger. I was really hoping to chuck in something like a barrel key ignition on a screw mount that I could easily install in a little bracket. Wasn't thinking I had to buy Big Bulky Bertha and figure out how to mount it elsewhere hm

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk
    1979 CX500D

Ok y'all are heard it here first. Just performed the stator check according to motofaction. Everything is in ohms

1/5 123
    2/5 106
    3/5 239
    4/5 126
    6/5 106
    7/5 238
    8/9 94
    9/5 388

A/b 2
    A/c 2
    B/c 2
    B/ 3 different grounds- no cont.
    A/3 different grounds- no cont
    C- 3 diff grounds- no cont

Ok for the A/b etc part, it only showed 2 ohms, but, when I cross the lines (Ghostbusters!) The lines read 2 ohms, so it said to subtract that number.
    I tested 3 grounds that were all in continuity of to each other, before testing each abc, just to make sure I had a ground. Gas tank bolt, engine mount bolt, footpeg bolt.
    Havnt typed in the results yet, so we'll find out together.

Oh, the new petcock did something. The bike hauls way more ass. I guess the other percock was sucking air or wasn't letting vacuum do it's work or something. I was hitting 45 in 4th instead of struggling to get there in 5th. It also sounds all around quiter, rpm wise

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk
    1979 CX500D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links