Lowering a 84 GL500
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Lowering a 84 GL500

Lowering a 84 GL500

Hey yall, new to the forums here but hopefully i can get some good help and tips. ive got a 1984 gl500 silverwing interstate. dont worry, half the junk that comes on it is already off lol, but i know there are differences when compared to the cx's or non interstate gl's. (such as dual front disc brakes).

im looking for tips on lowering the suspension. the bike is just really wobbly on its kickstand which ive been told is normal for these bikes, but to me i just dont like it cus im a little more used to bigger and heavier cruisers also im trying to go for that bobber/fighter short and stocky look it doesnt help any that the bike sits tall or at least it appears to anyways. i dont want to sound too much like a noob but i am looking for the cheapest route possible as i dont care to put a whole bunch of money into this bike. im wondering if the stance can be lowered without swapping any suspension parts. i think i might leave the stock mono airshock in the rear, but i dont know about the air adjustable forks in the front. can they be raised at the triple tree, will lowering the air pressure decrease the hight of the front of the bike, or is it just easiest to swap out the forks for different ones? any help would be appreciated. after some new tires and a battery this spring ill only have maybe 800 in the bike. Name:  92327abc1719d44303772b912ee3eead.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  93.9 KB
    (note: this is not my bike, just one of the same model, ive been having trouble getting a picture of mine to upload.) ill see what i can do about raising the forks in the tree for now. i think the gl500 silverwing interstate sits higher than the cx500 (longer/taller forks). thanks in advanced for your help. i will try to get a pic of the actual bike up here.
    jabreeze77 "Life is hard; its harder when you're stupid" -John Wayne

Pay attention to the drive shaft angle as you consider how much to lower the bike. You can lower at the front a bit by moving the forks up in the triple tree. Note that this will affect the handling of the bike. Common advice is to get the bike running and to ride it in stock configuration before making changes.
    Mike

Click the link to go to the Wiki

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

1981 GL500 (Jacob)
    1982 GL500I (Phil)
    1981 GL500 (Blackie) parts bike
    1983 GL650I (Big Red) parts bike
    198? CX500C (Adam) only a few parts left
    London, Ontario, Canada

First figure out what bike you have There is no 84 gl500 in north america So maybe post your vin number so we can get That figured The gl forks are longer than a cx due to the neck placement On the frame this does not decide the seat height If your bike is wonky on the side stand you probablHave a wear problem on the stand and mounting tab
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Name:  IMG_8072.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  2.45 MB
    here it is. i may or may not take the faring off depends on how it looks when its a little lower. ive thought about shortening the windshield as well. the handlebars will change for sure

JC
    Compare the serial numbers to the ones on this page:

https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/...erial-numbers/

...to find which year your GL500 was made in.

thanks for your input so far. next time i get a day off work ill go tinker with it. i may be mistaken and it might be a 82 model, my apologies there. seat height is not a problem at all, so im not worried about lowering the seat, just wanting to know what can be done about lowering the front end. thanks, i will get back with you after i get some time off of work to mess with it again. honestly i cant decide if i want to make it a bobber or not. its really not that bad lookin and with a few tweeks (i swapped rear turn signals) i kinda like it. my style preference is very lose haha. i can dig a classic CB style bike or a modern cruiser as well as bobbers and such. i do plan on getting it on the road before making any major changes. i may turn out to like it just fine the way it is as i haven't ridden more than just around the parking lot.

Look on the left side of the steering head, VIN plate, the year is on there.Name:  IMG_0576[1].JPG
Views: 85
Size:  448.8 KB
    Last edited by Steve1; 03-10-2017 at 01:17 AM.
    1982 Honda GL500 I SilverWing Interstate " Its not the destination but the journey and Ride Safe "

Quote Originally Posted by jabreeze77 View Post
    Name:  IMG_8072.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  2.45 MB
    here it is. i may or may not take the faring off depends on how it looks when its a little lower. ive thought about shortening the windshield as well. the handlebars will change for sure
    You want to lower it, take off the fairing/shorten the windscreen, change/lower the front forks, change the bars...

I think you've bought the wrong bike.
    Sidecar Bob likes this.
    GL500 Interstate in Silver, just like the cover of the Haynes manual!

CX500 EC Sitting on the drive , rotting :-(

http://thecattles.me.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Marcswales View Post
    You want to lower it, take off the fairing/shorten the windscreen, change/lower the front forks, change the bars...

I think you've bought the wrong bike.
    Nah. It's all good man. I can dig it either way it's just deciding which look I like better lol. There's just somethin about buying a cheap project bike and takin off crap that's not needed and makin your own parts to go on it. It didn't run when I got it so it was cheap. It runs now just got a bad battery from sittin too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike is a 82. Sorry just got my numbers mixed up. I'm not clueless as to what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links