Seat re-cover cx650 ? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seat re-cover cx650 ?

I took cover off, and it appeared to me that buttons and cover were fused to foam before cover was stapled on. Did u tighten buttons before or after staples, I intend to attempt before. If done after your aluminum holding buttons would show on under-side of seat?

She stapled the seat first, pushing down with alot of force to pull the fabric around. Then pulled the button down with a industrial looking string through the pan and aluminum button and tied it below the pan. You can see it underneath.
    79 cx500c, 81 gl500 standard, 83 cx650, 83 gl650I, cx650t, 80 cx500c chopped, 59 cushman super eagle

Got the seat done. I did install buttons in foam and cover before stapling to pan. Heat gun helped. Started on front end, moved to back, then started pulling and stapling middle section, then rear seat area, lastly front seat. The cover was not sewn exactly right on rear seat area, but it came out good in front seat area and it's good enough for who its for= nothin's perfect and only new once.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

A note on stapling, upholsterers generally use a 3/8 width, 1/4 or 3/8 long air staple, I had a carpet gun= so used 1/4 width, 3/8 long staple and turned air pressure down to 40 psi or it shot thru single vinyl layer areas. Where possible I shot through seam areas as it is doubled over. Used extra staples as I had to buy 9000 and they cant be seen anyway. Also did not staple right on edge of pan, so no staples are close to piercing outside of cover. Much cheaper than taking to upholstry shop and looks durable and shop would have same problem with cover not being perfectly made anyway. Successful job, lots more repairs to do before bike goes on the road,,,,

Was able to contact ebay seller, Exxcel custom forming, and they were willing to replace cover , but as I had installed and can live with minor cosmetic defects they refunded $20 instead. The rest of the cover is well made and I'm confident one can expect a higher degree of quality control from them in future. They do offer a huge selection of colors as well as two-tone covers. The whole process was a good learning experience about re-covering a more complicated seat design, and I wish all others who undertake similar projects success

A good ending is always nice......even though it's not really the end.
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

G-Loria's Story I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands.
    Forum Settings that everyone should make
    Photo posting tips!

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

U got that right, I'm thinking of pulling some staples in a slightly loose area and pulling it just a wee bit tighter,,,, is it necessity or obsession that is the Mother of invention???

Mother of Invention? There ya go again with the acid head thing......you are thinking of Frank Zappa.
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

G-Loria's Story I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands.
    Forum Settings that everyone should make
    Photo posting tips!

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

HAHA! who could imagine???? thanx for the laugh man, peace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links