Seat re-cover cx650 ?
Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seat re-cover cx650 ?

Seat re-cover cx650 ?

Got a seat from ebay, after removing old cover and buttons it is apparent that buttons are integral part of design. Ordered new vinyl covered buttons, got upholstery needle for attachment, got short staples for air gun to pierce hard plastic, have measured and am prepaired to mess it up myself as local shops want over $100 to install cover that obviously was porely executed from the git-go. The seat has a huge amount of contour and will not stretch enough to eliminate wrinkles. Has anyone fought the vinyl monster and won on this type of seat?

It is a cx650c, has a comfy looking front seat and a reduced width rear section. Both had buttons to hold vinyl down into contoured areas, four buttons, originally glued into seat foam.

you need to heat the cover and keep it warm with a heat gun set on low as you work it

its a pita
    nippongreen likes this.
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

When I get to actual installation I will use heat. The supplier gave instructions that discounted the buttons entirely, and the picture they showed was kind of generic. I have put on many replacement covers but none had the buttons or the large contours, and most were on steel pans. I will do it but I'm pretty much sure there will be some puckered edges in this job due to the suppliers oversight.

Supplier is joemama1931 and ebay wont let me contact him even though it was only a couple weeks ago. They say my question is invalid or over 90 days past. Anyway the instructions are incorrect ant the cover would never fit according to them. The pros in town did not like the look of the item as well, not well designed, solid construction but not well sewn on rear section, uneven and lumpy panel.

On a humorous note, my old friend Carrol Rierson (RIP) said "There is an asshole for every seat". I will cop to that,,,,

A heatgun is the key. I sewn this seat by hand.

nolimitz likes this.
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 78,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

Quote Originally Posted by obo515 View Post
    Supplier is joemama1931 and ebay wont let me contact him even though it was only a couple weeks ago. They say my question is invalid or over 90 days past. Anyway the instructions are incorrect ant the cover would never fit according to them. The pros in town did not like the look of the item as well, not well designed, solid construction but not well sewn on rear section, uneven and lumpy panel.
    Go to ebay and under his listing way down at the bottom it says Questions and Answers about this item. Contact them through there.
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 78,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

Nice job on the seat! The design of the one I got is quite different, not nearly as nice, cost $57. Heat will help but it needs buttons too, have been test fitting and it wont lay smooth over foam, it leaves a tent in large curved area of front seat, and doesnt fit well in back either. Had to order some stuff for assembly but will get to it fairly soon, thanx.

My sister is a upholster and did my cx650 seat. Putting a sheat of plastic on the foam will let your vinyl move around easier. The buttons are the key to getting the "tent" out. She used 1" aluminum buttons on the underside of the seat to hold the top buttons in place. It took both of us to adjusted the tension on the buttons and a couple of times to get it to the original look. The cx650 is a fun, zippy bike, but not designed to be as user friendly as the other cx/gls.
    79 cx500c, 81 gl500 standard, 83 cx650, 83 gl650I, cx650t, 80 cx500c chopped, 59 cushman super eagle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links