Battery side cover repair- cx 650c
Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery side cover repair- cx 650c

Side cover long tab had been broken off flush with cover and attempted repair with jb weld. As it was poorly cleaned and not enough glue it failed. I scraped, scratched, filed, cleaned and sanded both surfaces and used the jb weld plastic bonder in a syringe and had great success. I also filed and sanded the engagement tits to make them a bit smaller and smoother and ALWAYS use armor-all on all grommets before installation. The armorall is the key, I have never broken a tab when it was lubed. Rubber grease would work also. If the grommet is way too hard it can be replaced. I just have had it with people who grab a nice cover from the wrong angle and break it because???? They ain't cheap and harder to find all the time.

All I'm suggesting is when you have a cover that wont come off easily is spray armorall in the engagement areas before pulling on it. You could use vaseline, mineral oil, rubber grease or armor-all to lube the grommets, but not petroleum oil as it messes with the rubber. Please pull straight out as it is the angular force that breaks the tabs off. I even see a repair kit on ebay so the problem is epidemic. Be cool, dont break it if it ain't broke. thanx

Many here use plastifix to replace the pegs. You can even custom mold pegs if you make a clay shape to use as a mold.

David from Wisconsin uses allen head bolt of the right length and plastifixes them to the cover. He did one for me and I was having trouble removing it and I learned I could bevel the head into a ball shape and it worked a lot better.
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 78,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanx, I agree about re-shaping the tit end for easier fit and have done that on any stubborn ones in past. Armor-all keeps rubber nice and helps also, I treat them with every removal and have had great success with it.

i would not change much on a cx650 side cover to make them any easier to get off

if you ride a cx650 on a hot day 90 plus and run at high speed the damn things blow off from pressure build up

and will just slide out behind your legs and you wont even know till you have to retrace your steps to find the cover

i have mine drilled and a retaaining wire on them to hold them to the bike
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

I might have bike ready for a fast test by the time its 90 out here. That wild that the covers get blown off by air pressure, I wont reduce size of ends in that case, and go easy on the lube. Cx 650 seems to have some unique characteristics.

if you look at the way the side frames are and hiw the inner fender fits you can see how the air funnels in there and is held

boxed in by the inner fender so it pushes out the side cover

just go out one hot day and break the ton
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

Don't know if I'll make it to 100mph,, the last bike was a GS550 with a Windjammer and would only go 90, felt plenty fast for an old guy. Also if I keep it down I wont have to hunt for the side covers afterward,,,,

Did ebay 12 "Honda" grommets for $2.18, probly wont fit anything right, but if not no big deal. Mostly round with a few oval type.

1982 Honda GL500 I SilverWing Interstate " Its not the destination but the journey and Ride Safe "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links