whats the worst/most outrageous thing thats happened to you while riding?? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: whats the worst/most outrageous thing thats happened to you while riding??

Anyone who is eating, stop now as this story is nauseating! I was riding an old R60US behind a pic-up on road near an industrial area and the river near town, moving in lane to get a better view around truck and right in middle of lane a dead, bloated skunk carcass appeared from under the truck just as I was moving across from right to left. I hit it and it exploded sending a wave of indescribable stench all up behind the fairing! I stood up on the pegs, flipped open the helmet and leaned foreward all the way to the car-wash in the next town. Blasted the bike and myself and rode back to town where my friends dog came toward me in his drive-way, got about 50 from me. sniffed once I turned tail,,, went to car-wash again, but never forgot that encounter with nature at it's worst.
    jak likes this.

Caught a cicada with my left eye at 40 mph. Riding young & dumb without eye protection. Felt like I got punched by Mike Tyson. Thankfully, I stayed on the bike (My first... a Sears 106)
    Dan
    The name is Dan ... please use it freely.

1982 GL500I

1981 CX500C

Chesapeake, VA

Duct tape is like the Force ... it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

Riding on a cold fall day on an 82 GS550E doing about 60mph. I had a helmet and leather jacket but I had to put put a bandana around my neck due to the cold. As I rode under an overpass I felt a sting on my neck like someone stabbed me.

I pulled over and put my hand to my neck and it came away bloody. I freaked a bit and took off the bandana. As I removed it a penny fell out of the folds and bounced off the tank. No fun catching a penny at 60mph. Still not sure if it was tossed off the bridge at me
    jak likes this.
    81 CX 500 deluxe
    28k miles

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
    I've got a few of these.

Two lane road near my parents' house. Passed a car legally. There was an oncoming pickup WAAAAY in the distance, but I was riding my V65 Magna so I was around the slow driver and back in my lane in a heartbeat, and pickup was still a mile or more distant. As i got near the pickup, he decided it'd be fun to drive in my lane just to scare me. Fucking rednecks. I dropped anchor and he meandered back into his lane, laughing. I fucking hate rednecks.

Another two lane, with an insanely slow driver. Old as dirt, driving 25 in a 45. We go over a bridge and a right hand lane opens up. It lasts about a mile, and then eventually ends. there's a stop light in another half mile. I pass him on the right, gently. No loud exhaust or anything, not hammering it, just want to get out from behind the old coot. I think nothing more of it. He apparently is pissed, because as I'm stopped at the light, he goes off-road on the shoulder and pulls up next to me so close his mirror nearly hits my handlebars. He's screaming something incoherent. I put my steel-toed size 10 boot into his door again and again until it has a sizeable dent, then the light changes and I get the hell out of dodge. Not proud, but he deserved it.

Two-lane turn lane, turning right. Guy in a new Kia or something meanders from his right turn lane into my right turn lane, cutting me off. I honk at him and he slams on the brakes. I nearly hit him (I wasn't following close, he cut me off). I can see him grinning in his rearview. So I stick my boot out, gun it, and take his driver's side mirror off. I was young and stupid, and I wish I hadn't done it. But I did. He chased me for a short while, but I went through a neighborhood with big speed bumps, and stood on the pegs and sailed through them. The first speed bump he encountered he didn't slow for. He hit it hard enough to change his mind about chasing me. Not quite dukes-of-hazzard, but I'm pretty sure his undercarriage hit on the landing.

Riding on a two-lane with my dad. He's on his immaculate CB350 four, I'm on my V65. We end up stuck behind a slow tractor. As soon as it's clear, the tractor waves us around. My dad downshifts and starts his pass, and the minivan behind us decides he doesn't want to wait. Guns it around us and misses my dad by 3 inches. Red minivan, NC plates ATM-2336. I was like 19 or 20, so it was a great many years ago, but I'll never forget that van. If I had a pistol I'd have taken shots at it, I was so enraged that he nearly killed my dad, all due to his entitled impatience. (It's a good thing I didn't own a pistol when I was 19). Took me hours to calm down.

Riding on my chopper, back before I had decent front brakes on it. Was having a blast, and then come around a curve and there's a hidden stop sign. I hit the brakes... and nothing much happens. Lever is wooden but brakes aren't being applied. Because of the way the road was, right angle turn to a stop sign at a T, it meant I could cross the street going to the left, and end up on the side of the road. (Intersection looked like this: ---/, I was on the dashed line, traveling from left to right. Made a left across the street and ended up on the side of the road of the slash, headed towards oncoming traffic). Turned out I was using an under-sized brake rotor for the caliper placement, and the pads eventually wore down until part at the top touched each other. Got a proper sized rotor for the bike shortly thereafter. And a new pair of boxers.

Hmm... that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

Charles.
    I lived in Carrboro for ten years and did a lot of bicycling. People were great for the most part, but yes, there's a small part of the population there that just wants to get yucks out of doing things that might kill somebody.

Heck, all of the local deer were in that population. They love suddenly jumping across your path.
    Peter

'79 CX500C, low miles

jak
    Quote Originally Posted by obo515 View Post
    Anyone who is eating, stop now as this story is nauseating! I was riding an old R60US behind a pic-up on road near an industrial area and the river near town, moving in lane to get a better view around truck and right in middle of lane a dead, bloated skunk carcass appeared from under the truck just as I was moving across from right to left. I hit it and it exploded sending a wave of indescribable stench all up behind the fairing! I stood up on the pegs, flipped open the helmet and leaned foreward all the way to the car-wash in the next town. Blasted the bike and myself and rode back to town where my friends dog came toward me in his drive-way, got about 50 from me. sniffed once I turned tail,,, went to car-wash again, but never forgot that encounter with nature at it's worst.

hahahaha ohhhh man thats gota suck big time i seen a skunk once when i was in America we stayed the hell away from it!!!
    1980 cx500custom. dirt tacker 1978 engine

No real issues on the motorcycle other than a few clueless cagers, they just got the middle finger.

I did get hit from behind on my bicycle once, though. Never want to go through that again.
    2007 Ural Gear Up
    1979 CX 500, a bit rough around the edges. On the road again.
    1977 Velosolex 4600 V3
    1973 Velosolex 3800

Past rides in descending order.

2007 Hi-bird dual sport
    1977 Honda CB750 (expensive freebie)
    1982 Honda Spree
    1971 Honda CB500
    1967 Honda S90
    196(?) Ducati Falcon 50
    Galvanized pipe mini bike

GO PACK GO

Riding on a trip in eastern KY when I was younger. I was on the back with my dad on a Vulcan, my older brother was on a shadow, and two other friends. One (the older and father to the other) was on a Vulcan nomad and his adult son was on some piece of junk sport bike. Somehow it was the best bike he could scrap up on short notice. We went to see the Natural Bridge state park in the Daniel Boone national forest. After we left there we went pleasure riding down backroads. The junk sport bike broke down on the road and we pulled off into a mans front yard. As some of you probably know there can be some shady people in the hills of Appalachia. Well of all people we happened to stop in the yard of a motorcycle builder and engineer. I don't remember the name of the bike but he was the man who built a famous drag racing bike that is on display in the Harley museum in Michigan or Wisconsin I don't remember which. I was younger so I don't remember much of what he was like but he was nice haha. He ran some extension chords from his barn for a battery charger I think and helped us get the bike on the road. The coolest part about meeting him was that my dad and by brother had just been up to that museum, along with other sights in the area, and had seen his race bike, maybe a year before.

Really cool guy. Humble. If he got rich from that bike you wouldn't know it. Was living in a trailer home in the backwoods. he didn't have the appearance of a hot head smarty pants either. Just a good ole boy from KY. Like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jabreeze77 "Life is hard; its harder when you're stupid" -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabebuilder View Post
    Riding on a cold fall day on an 82 GS550E doing about 60mph. I had a helmet and leather jacket but I had to put put a bandana around my neck due to the cold. As I rode under an overpass I felt a sting on my neck like someone stabbed me.

I pulled over and put my hand to my neck and it came away bloody. I freaked a bit and took off the bandana. As I removed it a penny fell out of the folds and bounced off the tank. No fun catching a penny at 60mph. Still not sure if it was tossed off the bridge at me
    Did you think it was "pennies from Heaven?"
    Of all the things I've learned to make....money is the hardest.

Deeply etched in my memory was the first day of Memorial day weekend in 1987. I had my new wife on the back of the GL650 heading North on RT 287 below Salladasburg, PA on the way to the PA Grand Canyon. A blue and cream Ford Bronco (Gen 1) crossed over the double yellow lines and headed right for us. I grabbed all the brakes and dove for the right berm. How I missed hitting him I'll never know. As I sat there wondering whether I should turn and follow him for a confrontation, I looked over my shoulder and saw him attack a car following behind me too. I guessed he was drunk so I waited for the traffic to pass us then continued on our way. A few more miles up that curvy road a Chevy van drifted into our lane and I had had enough. We made a u turn to go back home. I decided it was too hazardous to ride on a three day weekend as there were too many drunks on the road.

Chopper Charles, I think I met that redneck's daddy in 1970 down in Kentucky. I was on my 69 CB 750 and an Army buddy was following on a Suzuki X6 250 Hustler. I had two guys in a Mopar cross over at me in an attempt to force me off the road. I stopped on the berm and my buddy said they did the same trick to him. Do that today and you will have a dash cam recording you that will be taken to the nearest police station.
    Of all the things I've learned to make....money is the hardest.

OK, I am not proud of this story, and looking back, I'm shocked I actually did it, but it happened and it was by far the CRAZIEST (most outrageous) thing I have ever done on a bike, and the police reaction to it made it the most odd thing I have ever seen while riding.

I was riding from Ohio to Florida ferrying my Triumph Trophy 1200 to my Florida pad for the Winter. I go via I-77 to I-26 to I-95.

My Trophy has hard luggage and looks more like a BMW than a Triumph as it's the 1995 model, before they turned the bike into a Bat Cycle looking monstrosity. This was about 2005 ish when this happened.

I hit the intersection of I-26 and I-95 in South Carolina to get on I-95 South to Florida. I happen to get in the merge lane the same time a group of BMW riders (about 10 or so) are headed South. They actually signal me to join the group. So I did. We all stopped for gas about 10 miles south of meeting on the highway. We chatted a bit. Introduced ourselves. They said they were going to Orlando for something and I was welcome to join, but they were going to step up the speed a bit. The Trophy can do 80 MPH no problem for extended speeds so I said OK. Little did I know.

We get back on the highway and are actually doing about 90 the whole way. Passing just about every car quickly, and really moving by comparison. My thought was, "Well, when we get pulled over, we'll all be together and can enjoy the police lecture as a group while they throw the book at us!".
    Never happened. We made it to the Florida border, through South Carolna and Georgia in record time. I saw that we passed at least one cop in the typical hiding spots in South Carolina and Georgia. I'm shocked we are not getting pulled over, but I guess a dozen riders going that fast could be messy trying to pull them over, so I think they just decided to let us get out of their state and let some other law enforcement agency deal with us.

So we get to about 1 mile from the Florida border and we pass a few of Georgia's finest in the median. They are just standing there and as we pass, they have their hands on their hips and are just shaking their heads as we pass, like "You stupid idiots, glad you are leaving our state!". We hit the Florida border in record time, and we then slowed to about 75.

I'll never forgot that. I'm not proud of it, and I'd never do it again. 12 years ago I was just young enough to be that risky. Now, I wouldn't. But That was the craziest thing I have ever done - by far - on a bike. And the police reaction, for sure was the most outrageos thing that happened.

The Culpret, my 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 - the high speed interstate cruiser

Name:  floridabike2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  104.0 KB
    Last edited by 3SportBiker; 03-17-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    1982 GL500 Interstate

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links