Hello From Southeast Ohio
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hello From Southeast Ohio

Hello From Southeast Ohio

Hey everyone, figured I'd make a thread saying hello. Got my first motorcycle about a week ago. It is a 1982 GL500 Silverwing interstate. Needs some work before it is really ride ready but I don't think it looks too bad for being as old at is it. Got a Haynes manual for it and I have some basic mechanical common sense. However I do not know much about motorcycles in maintenance or motorcycles in general, which is why I even found this forum. The plans are to get the bike up in running and practicing a bit in a parking lot then taking some basic riding courses as soon as possible. I just figured before I annoyed everyone with my newbie questions I will probably have as I get into riding and messing with the silverwing; I would go ahead and say hello. So hello from Southeast Ohio thanks for havin me!

Welcome aboard, you will find plenty of help here as you get things in order. Good on you for taking a MSF course, it can help reduce your insurance bill, as well as obviously making you a better, safer rider.
    Look through my links below, and fill out your profile and snag the FSM to go with instead of the lame Haynes paperweight. Pics are always appreciated.

Joel in the Couve
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

G-Loria's Story I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands.
    Forum Settings that everyone should make
    Photo posting tips!

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Welcome from Cleveland, OH!
    Steve
    1979 CX500 Deluxe
    2006 ST1300

Link to our WIKI (great tech info on the CX/GL)

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ramprat06 View Post
    Welcome aboard, you will find plenty of help here as you get things in order. Good on you for taking a MSF course, it can help reduce your insurance bill, as well as obviously making you a better, safer rider.
    Look through my links below, and fill out your profile and snag the FSM to go with instead of the lame Haynes paperweight. Pics are always appreciated.

Joel in the Couve
    Thanks for the links got the other manual downloaded now looks like it's gonna be a great help. Got some pictures of the bike from when I found it for sale. Windshield is sadly broken as the guy I bought it off of broke it the day before I came and got it. He knocked a decent amount of the price though cause he felt bad so I'll go ahead and call it a win. Name:  Silverwing 1.png
Views: 66
Size:  2.78 MBName:  Silverwing 2.png
Views: 66
Size:  2.72 MB
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm. Winston Churchill

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

1982 Silverwing Interstate.

A warm welcome from Ottawa Canada EH !!!
    Hopefully you can meet up with a bunch of us at VMD this year.
    Vintage Motorcycle Days 2017

All The Best.....Keith.............
    Present bikes:

1979 Honda CX500 Deluxe "Bessie"

1982 Honda GL500i "Scruffy" + Velorex 562 sidecar

2001 Honda ST1100 "Cody"

1983 Honda CX650E "DJ"

3@ 1979 CX500 Deluxe Donor Bikes

Welcome to the forums!

Where, exactly, in SE Ohio? I live just outside Malta, towards Burr Oak. I ride an '82 GL500. It started life as an Interstate, however, was in such bad shape I stripped it down.
    Dave Bone

1982 GL 500

The bike looks all there, even an aftermarket antenna in the stock location! I don't see the stock radio, but there are the speaker grills. Doesn't look too bad from the pics. What is the mileage? Probably best to do the high mileage service interval on it to start with, as a baseline. The tires should be replaced if the date code on the sidewall is older than 5 years. What was the sellers reason for letting it go? Any other history of note?
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

G-Loria's Story I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands.
    Forum Settings that everyone should make
    Photo posting tips!

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Quote Originally Posted by Hondsaki View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

Where, exactly, in SE Ohio? I live just outside Malta, towards Burr Oak. I ride an '82 GL500. It started life as an Interstate, however, was in such bad shape I stripped it down.
    I'm In Jackson County about an hour and forty minutes from Malta. 30 minutes from Chillicothe and 40 minutes from Athens
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm. Winston Churchill

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Quote Originally Posted by ramprat06 View Post
    The bike looks all there, even an aftermarket antenna in the stock location! I don't see the stock radio, but there are the speaker grills. Doesn't look too bad from the pics. What is the mileage? Probably best to do the high mileage service interval on it to start with, as a baseline. The tires should be replaced if the date code on the sidewall is older than 5 years. What was the sellers reason for letting it go? Any other history of note?
    There is a stereo in it cant verify if it is stock though. I'll have to get a picture of it eventually. 18K original miles had some service paper work other than that nothin' special. Belonged to the guy's dad who apparently hardly ever road it and he doesn't ride at all so he figured he'd sell it. Don't think it was stored too good due to some fading and cracks in the plastic nothin to awful bad. As long as it survives me learning which I believe it will I'll plan on getting it painted or somethin.

Welcome in the forum.

I bought the same bike last year as my first one as well. It was well maintained at the bike shop where I got it from. It is a true Silverwing in Silver and I love it. Last year I rode over 8000 km with it.

Name:  IMAG0433.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  1.62 MB
    nippongreen likes this.
    Since March 2016 a proud owner of a ´82 GL 500 Silverwing Interstate as my first bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links